Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just another successful mission by the bike industrial complex to screw over consumers. What you don't see is the privately funded space programs they are developing with their massive profits so they can skid through private space berms on Mars.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just another successful mission by the bike industrial complex to screw over consumers. What you don't see is the privately funded space programs they are developing with their massive profits so they can skid through private space berms on Mars.
intergalactic e-bikes

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
broke is the new sexy
that wasn't meant as a dig, respect dude i'm right there with you. my 26er still works great and has the same fun factor as any bike i may replace it with which i have no plans to until i'm out of tires. that should only take another decade given my stock and by then the everything old is new again phase of MTB wheel sizes should start, so i win corporate overlords, i win.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that wasn't meant as a dig, respect dude i'm right there with you. my 26er still works great and has the same fun factor as any bike i may replace it with which i have no plans to until i'm out of tires. that should only take another decade given my stock and by then the everything old is new again phase of MTB wheel sizes should start, so i win corporate overlords, i win.
At this point I'm keeping all my 26 stuff, my kid will be able to ride it sooner than I think. He's 6 and already on 24" wheels.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Capture.JPG

"5-7 weeks" wait begins. Hopefully they still have suspension, drivetrain and wheels for the build by the time the frame is cooked.

Surprise purchase made for my wife. Hopefully it's closer to the 5 weeks so we get it before the snow flies.

Hey @mtg you know how fast S is on the climbs, hopefully I can keep up with her on the downhills on her new Smash versus her old Turner.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
That's awesome! And, our fulfillment person has been much more cautious about putting components on the website after last Fall when the initial nuke in the supply chain went off.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
View attachment 165393

"5-7 weeks" wait begins. Hopefully they still have suspension, drivetrain and wheels for the build by the time the frame is cooked.

Surprise purchase made for my wife. Hopefully it's closer to the 5 weeks so we get it before the snow flies.

Hey @mtg you know how fast S is on the climbs, hopefully I can keep up with her on the downhills on her new Smash versus her old Turner.
sweet. size 3 I assume? and what is the build?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Good man! Does she have a birthday or anything coming up?
Nope, we'd just been looking to update our trail bikes.

I'm a tweener on most brands at 6'2" so might have to pinch it and try it with a 60mm stem in the long position.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
View attachment 165393

Let me know if you need an 11-6 shock

got a box with about a dozen sitting here I'll never use

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
my 3yo tRek is getting clapped out since I do zero maintenance and I'm a hack. Tell me about the Smash.
The bike itself is very good. It trades punches with similar bike in the same travel/intentions range in terms of descending and climbing. Heavier than a Ripmo, but lighter than an AF. Durable. It's not a plow, but it's not afraid of rocks & bumps either. My biggest critique around the current version is that it's designed around a 150 fork instead of 160, so if you put a 160 on it (feels like the bike wants that) the BB comes up a bit high for my taste.

But if you do zero maintenance you'll probably smoke the bearings if you wash your bike a lot (guessing not) or ride in shitty wet weather a lot (no idea where you're from). The good news is bearing replacement on these is probably about a 4/10 in terms of difficulty, provided you have the tools needed and know what you're doing. The worst part is the c-clips on the rear pivots.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
No, Push doesn't because they moved to the spherical bearing and it takes up more space at the eyelet. It doesn't fit due to this. The previous version 11-6 fits.

As far as I can tell, the Storia and the Arma are nearly identical, only the Storia gets the climb lock thing and the Arma gets the adjustable bottom. As far as whether it's compression or rebound, it's really both. I thought my Avalanche had slow LSR and a lot of LSC, but this takes it to a new level. It's stable, but it seems stable at the cost of that whole coil effect where it fees like the coil shock is hugging the trail/terrain. But I'll ride it more and over other terrain and see if it doesn't come alive or react better. That's always one issue, sometimes your terrain is very limiting and you get on something different and either it's way better, or worse. I've been riding it on the local trails up and down a bunch, trails we built, hard surface, bumpy, but real small hard bumps for the most part, whether it's roots or little rocks. We have a chunkier one, but it's been pretty bad to ride with the wet. I took the bike over some real rooty stuff a few days ago, switching out for my Bomber CR multiple times. Just the Arma hasn't really blown me away at all, like the old Avy stuff did. Will keep playing with it as much as I can, we just got a dumping of snow, but it's melting fast.
The only ext I have ridden gives the parkinglot feel of omg this is way too slow lsr... but on the trail it wasn't it was totally normal feeling.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
As I'm terrible at keeping secrets I told my wife I'd bought her one of these to go with her new bike:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Nope, we'd just been looking to update our trail bikes.

I'm a tweener on most brands at 6'2" so might have to pinch it and try it with a 60mm stem in the long position.
fwiw I am 6’2’’ riding a size 4, in long, with a 50mm stem (w/ 780mm bars), and feel like for the first time ever my bike actually fits me.

Not sure how you are built, or the trails you ride, but for me and here, couldn’t imagine getting a S3…

YMMV

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Just chiming in to offer a counter point. I am also 6'2" but have zero or maybe even slightly negative ape index. I'm on a S3 Gnarvana with 50mm stem (obviously in long). I do have the stem slammed and using higher rise (35mm) bars just to avoid further shortening my reach in getting my desired bar height. Riding east coast mountains (mainly NC Pisgah) and some flatter/tighter trail too (central NC rolling terrain). For my needs the S3 is awesome. I definitely don't feel cramped and I can get the back end around tight corners and can still do slower speed bits without it being a chore. Jumps really well (like a smaller bike than it is) too. It's not that all our riding is slow and tight, but there is some of that. I have no problems smashing rocks at high speed on this bike.

I have actually PM'd Matt just to tell him how crazy the Gnarvana is in terms of versatility. It obviously does well in it's stated niche, but it wildly surpassed my expectations as a trail bike for much less demanding types of riding. Really, really like the bike.

Anyhow, I could definitely ride a 4, but I would go that way only if I were blasting bigger hills with more sustained speed and without much slow/tight stuff.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think I'm a +2" on the ape index.

I'm 30 minutes west of GG HQ in CO. Riding the same trails Matt rides, just a lot slower than him :D Here it's mostly climb up and then descend. Very little flatter, windy trail riding normally.

If you look at the Gnarvana #'s it's longer in the TT, shorter in the Reach than the same sized Smash. I've spun around a friends driveway on his S3 Gnarvana and it definitely felt short in the TT.

With demos not currently offered I've asked my wife if I can borrow her S3 Smash when it turns up and try with a 60mm stem in long versus the 50mm short we're currently thinking for her.

She may not let me :p

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I was a bit concerned along your same lines as far as how the reach number changes as you go up in travel and down in HA across the GG line--I have a S3 trail pistol which, being less slack has a good bit longer reach and have been happy on that set up as well.

I would say, that if you were not happy on a S3 you rode then I'd look hard at the S4. No sense overthinking it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was a bit concerned along your same lines as far as how the reach number changes as you go up in travel and down in HA across the GG line--I have a S3 trail pistol which, being less slack has a good bit longer reach and have been happy on that set up as well.

I would say, that if you were not happy on a S3 you rode then I'd look hard at the S4. No sense overthinking it.

Or go the @Sandwich route and buy the wrong bike and do something silly.

1633037835736.png