Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
What manner of devilry is this?

http://ridegg.com/store/pg/88-Guerrilla-Gravity-MEGATRAIL-SS-Info-Geometry-and-Specs.aspx

Dear @mtg,
My children are in tears because I just told them Reavis's birthday is cancelled for next year and that the older one needs to quit preschool and get a job. All this because you jerks released two megatrails on the same day. I hope you're happy. Jerk.

My littlest can't yet speak but he did this when he heard the news.
fanger.jpg

But yeah, that SS is sweet too. Dunno what I want moar. Hope you've got free time to bullshit about this.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
shoveling is for people with functioning spines.

I had to warranty mine about 24 hours ago. Two weeks I'm told.

seriously though it's fucking nuts here right now
If you can talk your doc into it some Relafen can get you back in action pretty quick. Bonus if you can get some Tramadol too.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
Love the new lines. This is still at the top of my buy list.

I don't get your asterisks on the reach measurement though. Reach is reach isn't it? Are you just trying to say that your steep seat angles offset your long reaches when seated? The reach from bars to BB when standing (the fun part I care about) doesn't depend on anything else. So the new M is 15mm longer than the old M?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
So what the heck is this Freedom Linkage?
"dial in your ride characteristics based on local terrain and rider preferences via shock tunes"
Um... Doesn't EVERY bike have this?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
So what the heck is this Freedom Linkage?
"dial in your ride characteristics based on local terrain and rider preferences via shock tunes"
Um... Doesn't EVERY bike have this?
I may be going out on limb here, but I sense the "Freedom Linkage" moniker is a subtle shot at typical mountain bike techno-marketing nomenclature, with a dash of homage to the whole "Made in the USA" thing (i.e. its a joke). Just a wild guess on my part tho.

But who cares about product description filler statements, the point is GG has hit the Win button with a sledge hammer.

Soon...

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Questions:

29er wheels on the Megatrail SS: folks wasted no time figuring out that hack. We've tried it, and it works; the BB height just gets a bit tall, mainly in Trail Mode. But it is doable, with said tire size limits (29x2.3, some 29x2.4's). It's not an official setup, but if you are interested in it, give us a call or email.

Reach number asterisk: Our 2nd gen geometry (on the Pedälhead, Trail Pistol, and now Megatrail) uses a steeper ACTUAL seat tube angle, and one of the details that makes the whole package work well is a reach number that looks crazy long compared to traditional numbers. When the Trail Pistol debuted with similar numbers, there was some backlash about "ZOMG those reach numbers are ridicz!" But when people ride the bike, they tend to agree with our sizing recommendations and reach lengths. Deja Vu back to when the original Megatrail debuted. Hence, why the asterisk is there, to help explain that it makes sense with the whole package.

XL Megatrail: call us if interested. The sizes with an "X" in front of them are outside of 2 sigma of the sales. That's why we usually roll out of the gate without them, and add them later. But, an order will always expedite their inclusion.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
We need a old Megatrail vs swoopie Megatrail review!
Differences:
Two versions: Megatrail with 150/165mm travel, and Megatrail SS (aka short stroke) with 135/145mm travel
Chainstay length is now what the old 26" Megatrail used to be (16.8")
Tire clearance is increased substantially (Megatrail fits 27.5x2.6, and some 27.5x2.8; Megatraill SS fits up to 27.5x2.8)
Steeper seat tube angle, with combined enlongened™ reach
Gravity Mode update to 5mm more travel, but more mid stroke support, more bottom out resistance, and a little taller BB height
NUTS System compatible for keeping flat repair supplies on board
Runs lower air pressure/coil spring rate for a given rider weight

Benefits:
Choice of gnar smash, or a modern take on the slopestyle-ish trail bike (the SS)
Climbs even better
More Tire Size Freedom™
Gravity Mode is more usable for an all around aggressive setup
More sexy and a couple new acronyms for trail cred with the dentist crowd
More snappy, especially the SS

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
Questions:

29er wheels on the Megatrail SS: folks wasted no time figuring out that hack. We've tried it, and it works; the BB height just gets a bit tall, mainly in Trail Mode. But it is doable, with said tire size limits (29x2.3, some 29x2.4's). It's not an official setup, but if you are interested in it, give us a call or email.

Reach number asterisk: Our 2nd gen geometry (on the Pedälhead, Trail Pistol, and now Megatrail) uses a steeper ACTUAL seat tube angle, and one of the details that makes the whole package work well is a reach number that looks crazy long compared to traditional numbers. When the Trail Pistol debuted with similar numbers, there was some backlash about "ZOMG those reach numbers are ridicz!" But when people ride the bike, they tend to agree with our sizing recommendations and reach lengths. Deja Vu back to when the original Megatrail debuted. Hence, why the asterisk is there, to help explain that it makes sense with the whole package.

XL Megatrail: call us if interested. The sizes with an "X" in front of them are outside of 2 sigma of the sales. That's why we usually roll out of the gate without them, and add them later. But, an order will always expedite their inclusion.

got any images of the SS speced as a 29r and what is the bb height , i am old school having ridden in the days of 15" BB,s LOL

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
got any images of the SS speced as a 29r and what is the bb height , i am old school having ridden in the days of 15" BB,s LOL
I guess we should have taken pics when we had one set up that way...

BB Heights with a 150mm travel 29er front end:
Trail Mode: 14.2" BB height, 67º head angle
Gravity Mode: 13.7" BB height, 66º head angle

Head angles are approximate; actual delta should be about 0.8º

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The new rear end does not fit onto the old Megatrail. While it looks like the pivot locations are the same, they did have to move when making the switch to the Freedom Linkage, along with running a lower leverage ratio, as well as the main pivot is wider now. With the suspension tweaks, something would have had to suffer to make the new rear end work on the old front, so the upgrade option had to be axed on this one.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
@mtg

Look, I like you guys. You seem like OK dudes, despite your bandwagon allegiance to the Denver Donkey tacklesport team. You have an affinity for good music and your company scores high on the Patriot Matrix™ . That said, I still worry about you guys, even in light of the recent (kick ass) product releases. I don't know how to say this in a nice way, so here goes - your bikes seem to be designed for people who crush trails. Now that may sound all well and fine, but lets face it, the "crush" demographic is a vanishingly small one. But I think I have a solution which can elevate the pile of blow on your desk. You need a luxury brand.

Now I know what you're saying - OK Mr. smarty britches, mind telling me how all the branding shit worked out for GM and Ford? I get it, but lets face it, we're talking about companies that made things like the Cadillac Cimarron and Mercury Topaz. Think VW and Audi, or Toyota and Lexus. When executed correctly, you can sell essentially the same product model with only a handful of extra fancy bits for usually well over twice the price of the blue collar version. Its like printing money! And in the case of Audi, it can be even less reliable, which bizarrely creates a sense of comradery and elitist pride amongst the owner group. Using this approach, you may finally be able to crack into the most holy of target demographics - the fêted Dentites

I'm kind of a big deal around here (I used to have full green bar status as you well know), so let me help you navigate this important next step. First, you're going to need different model names and really, a whole new brand ethos. Basically, just take your existing models and change the names to meaningless, but fancy sounding, words: The Excelsior, The Avalor, The Exclustar, etc...If you're stumped, just get a model catalog from a "luxury homebuilder" and use some of those names. Rich white people love that shit. Next, you're going to need some shiny stuff festooned to the frames so that they stand apart from the crude base models. Ideally we're talking crabon, but since Trump hasn't dropped the trade hammer on China yet, that seems unrealistic at this point. Which of course means a healthy dose of crabon weave stickers and Lizard Skin pads. Just go crazy with this (my 6 year old daughter can help...she loves her some god damned stickers...trust me on this). I'd also recommend somehow working some copper flashing into the equation. Remember, the excessive teal staining all over the frame means one thing - hedge fund manager. Maybe also consider adding some well placed speed...umm, I mean performance holes throughout the frame. Needless to say, you're going to want to offer all luxury brand models with leather Brooks saddles. Speaking of models, you may want to pull a Transition and throw in a gravel grinder or something along these lines for the Dentite customers who are abjectly terrible at bikes. You're a smart guy, so I assume you get the concept now.

Again, I'm only trying to help.

Your friend,

Jackson (<-- notice how much fancier that sounds than "jackalope"? )

Btw, can you put a water bottle in the new Megatrail? :thumb:

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It would get lower. If you're ok with that, there's no reason not to do it.
:rofl:

You mean the exact same thing happens to the SS as every single other 650b bike in existence if you go to 26" wheels? I am SHOCKED.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
I guess we should have taken pics when we had one set up that way...

BB Heights with a 150mm travel 29er front end:
Trail Mode: 14.2" BB height, 67º head angle
Gravity Mode: 13.7" BB height, 66º head angle

Head angles are approximate; actual delta should be about 0.8º

So any chance you guys will assemble one again for the site pics ? , if you do can you show it set in both settings :)

Also is the MEGA SS the 140mm trailbike that was mentioned in the past ? or is there a true 27.5 trail bike in the works as well ? because if so you guys are hitting every angle IMO , well done .

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
So any chance you guys will assemble one again for the site pics ? , if you do can you show it set in both settings :)

Also is the MEGA SS the 140mm trailbike that was mentioned in the past ? or is there a true 27.5 trail bike in the works as well ? because if so you guys are hitting every angle IMO , well done .
The SS is what I referred to previously. I think it hits the true 27.5 trail bike niche square on the head of the nail.

We'll post up some pics of an SS with the 29er hack.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
The SS is what I referred to previously. I think it hits the true 27.5 trail bike niche square on the head of the nail.

We'll post up some pics of an SS with the 29er hack.
Definitely agree. As soon as I saw this release I knew this was the aforementioned Spitfire challenger. Looks rad GG, best of luck on it. If my Spitty frame cracks or gets "stolen" (any Monkey, plz PM me for my address and spare key location), then I'll actually click BUY NOW on the MT SS that is already in my shopping cart on RideGG.com......

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
@mtg

Look, I like you guys. You seem like OK dudes, despite your bandwagon allegiance to the Denver Donkey tacklesport team. You have an affinity for good music and your company scores high on the Patriot Matrix™ . That said, I still worry about you guys, even in light of the recent (kick ass) product releases. I don't know how to say this in a nice way, so here goes - your bikes seem to be designed for people who crush trails. Now that may sound all well and fine, but lets face it, the "crush" demographic is a vanishingly small one. But I think I have a solution which can elevate the pile of blow on your desk. You need a luxury brand.

Now I know what you're saying - OK Mr. smarty britches, mind telling me how all the branding shit worked out for GM and Ford? I get it, but lets face it, we're talking about companies that made things like the Cadillac Cimarron and Mercury Topaz. Think VW and Audi, or Toyota and Lexus. When executed correctly, you can sell essentially the same product model with only a handful of extra fancy bits for usually well over twice the price of the blue collar version. Its like printing money! And in the case of Audi, it can be even less reliable, which bizarrely creates a sense of comradery and elitist pride amongst the owner group. Using this approach, you may finally be able to crack into the most holy of target demographics - the fêted Dentites

I'm kind of a big deal around here (I used to have full green bar status as you well know), so let me help you navigate this important next step. First, you're going to need different model names and really, a whole new brand ethos. Basically, just take your existing models and change the names to meaningless, but fancy sounding, words: The Excelsior, The Avalor, The Exclustar, etc...If you're stumped, just get a model catalog from a "luxury homebuilder" and use some of those names. Rich white people love that shit. Next, you're going to need some shiny stuff festooned to the frames so that they stand apart from the crude base models. Ideally we're talking crabon, but since Trump hasn't dropped the trade hammer on China yet, that seems unrealistic at this point. Which of course means a healthy dose of crabon weave stickers and Lizard Skin pads. Just go crazy with this (my 6 year old daughter can help...she loves her some god damned stickers...trust me on this). I'd also recommend somehow working some copper flashing into the equation. Remember, the excessive teal staining all over the frame means one thing - hedge fund manager. Maybe also consider adding some well placed speed...umm, I mean performance holes throughout the frame. Needless to say, you're going to want to offer all luxury brand models with leather Brooks saddles. Speaking of models, you may want to pull a Transition and throw in a gravel grinder or something along these lines for the Dentite customers who are abjectly terrible at bikes. You're a smart guy, so I assume you get the concept now.

Your friend,

Would be a lot easier just to offer it in rootbeer.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
@mtg

Your friend,

Wait, what? I thought Nicolai is the dentist brand of GG????