Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

SLAYER2015

Chimp
Jun 25, 2015
Returning to the MTB scene after long hiatus due to work, divorce, life etc. Have been out of scene and out of the touch with the new standards and such.

Spent the last few months researching every bike and changes that have happened since away the last few years. I have decided on the Megatrail. My frame is paid for and the build is in the works. I am taking time from work to drive to from Seattle to Denver and pick-up in person and hit some riding spots and camp along the way on drive back to Seattle.

I am older, and fatter, and have not been on bike in years, so this bike may be overkill, but it has everything I wanted 5 years ago and is burly. I am currently about 250 pounds and do not want carbon, creaky BB's, etc, and this bike has the geometry dead on for me. It was between this and the new Turner Burner. Burner is completely different bike and probably more realistic for me and my discipline, age, etc, but I could not find fault in the megatrail even though I have not been on one.

My last bike was a Turner RFX and I was going to go Turner as mentioned, but decided Megatrail and if it turns out to be too much bike or I suck too bad, then I can always switch to Turner. But for now, I am excited to get back, excited for this bike and excited to support an American Company that can hopefully help change the philosophy and approach of how buying and building a bike should be.

My build as ordered from the guys at Guerrilla Gravity and expected to be done in a few weeks is as follows:
  • Frame Size: Large - 27.5” Wheels
  • Frame Color: Raw
  • Decal Color: Black
  • Fork - 160 mm Travel: Rock Shox Pike RC - Dual Position - Black
  • Shock: CC DBAir
  • Headset: Cane Creek 110 - Black
  • Stem: Race Face Atlas 35 - 35 mm Long
  • Handlebar: Race Face SIXc 35 - 800 mm Wide - 20 mm rise(black and trimmed to 760)
  • Grips:EASTON Lock-on, Black, 33mm
  • Brakeset - Includes 200F/180R Rotors: SRAM Guide RSC
  • Crankset: Race Face NextSL CINCH
  • Chainring: Race Face Narrow/Wide - CINCH - 30t - Black
  • Drivetrain: SRAM X01 - 11 Speed
  • Chainguide/Bash Guard: MRP AMg Carbon
  • Pedals: DEITY Bladerunner, Black
  • Saddle: WTB VOLT Team (ti rails and black on black)
  • Seatpost: Rock Shox Reverb Stealth
  • Front Tire: Maxxis High Roller II
  • Rear Tire: Maxxis High Roller II
  • Wheelset - Tubeless: NOX FARLOW with I9 silver hubs, black spokes, black nipples, NOX stealth black decals
Pretty cool build and the calculators predict it should be around 29 pounds for a Large. If I am sub 30, then I will be really pleased with a bike this stout to be there. My RFX was built light for the time and it was 31.6#, so I Will be pretty happy if this is 30 or less. I

Will post pics when I get the bike, but it is typical Raw/black build so nothing crazy.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Ask if they can do a DVO instead. I weigh 210 and the pike I rode on a 29r had a tendency to bind and flex. Supposedly the DIAMOND chassis is much stuff and will not bind. I have one in a box and have yet to ride it. Just a FYI they will also cost less so may save you cash....

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The cost difference with a PIKE and DVO is huge at small builder pricing that alone is worth it....

I never rode the PIKE with the DERBY hoops but the Mattoc had give the 36 was much stiffer. I would guess the Pike would bend like a politician. Especially with my garbage line choices....

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
The 36 is definitely a lot stiffer than the Mattoc. I agree the Mattoc is stiffer than the Pike though.
I wasn't talking about stiffness. That's a secondary concern. Chassis smoothness do to bushing/seal tolerance is the most important thing. The DVO is lightyears ahead of everyone else right now. AND they are cheaper than the fox and pike. Crazy!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Cray cray

Lots of people seem to have the idea that these DVO Diamond forks are more expensive than everything else, presumably because the Emerald was really expensive. Definitely not the case however. Cheaper in most cases, and the performance comparison is laughable.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
\Cheaper in most cases, and the performance comparison is laughable.
It's really insulting how much Fox and RS charge for their forks given their level of performance. What's even more insulting I found out recently was how much fox wanted for a fork rebuild on a 34 float. Truly mind blowing that they bill out their techs' time at >$200 hour.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Cray cray

Lots of people seem to have the idea that these DVO Diamond forks are more expensive than everything else, presumably because the Emerald was really expensive. Definitely not the case however. Cheaper in most cases, and the performance comparison is laughable.
I'd like to try one, but wish they'd make a 26" version. Of course I could put a 26" wheel on a 650b one, but I'd rather have the smaller offset and lower a-c height of a dedicated 26" fork.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Just realized the tapered steerer only, next knockout criteria. I know, I should buy a new bike every month a new standard is "invented".

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Just realized the tapered steerer only, next knockout criteria. I know, I should buy a new bike every month a new standard is "invented".
Bikes have been coming with 44mm/1.5/tapered headtubes for quite a while now, I'm over that one.

Fvck 15mm axles though.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Bikes have been coming with 44mm/1.5/tapered headtubes for quite a while now, I'm over that one.

Fvck 15mm axles though.
Fecking 15's! My Pitch 2011 frame is actually 2 years old, got it as a crash replacement for my 09 Pitch from specialEd. The geo numbers are just spot on for me. Guess I will ride it as long as I can get 26" tires.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Same here. Bummer DVO is forcing us out
Well, from their perspective, they've gotta pick their battles as a startup. Castings/tooling fixtures are VERY expensive and the market would have to substantiate the investment. I'll bet sales numbers of 130-160mm 26" forks across the industry have been WAY down in the last year, whether it's OEM or aftermarket.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well, from their perspective, they've gotta pick their battles as a startup. Castings/tooling fixtures are VERY expensive and the market would have to substantiate the investment. I'll bet sales numbers of 130-160mm 26" forks across the industry have been WAY down in the last year, whether it's OEM or aftermarket.
Yup, totally get why they're not doing it. That doesn't mean I like it.

I do think it's interesting that they're doing a 29" version. I have to imagine that the 650b sells in way higher volume for that travel segment.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I've got the 29er version. They sold out almost instantly from their first batch.

The travel settings are adjustable too, so I THINK a 160mm 29er fork could be adjusted down to 120mm or 130mm or whatever the minimum is. I'm not positive about that range though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've got the 29er version. They sold out almost instantly from their first batch.

The travel settings are adjustable too, so I THINK a 160mm 29er fork could be adjusted down to 120mm or 130mm or whatever the minimum is. I'm not positive about that range though.
Sure, but I have to imagine that most of the short travel 29er weenies who are willing to drop ~$1k on a fork don't want it to weigh 4+ lbs.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I've been buying tapered steerer compatible bikes since 2005.

Sure, but I have to imagine that most of the short travel 29er weenies who are willing to drop ~$1k on a fork don't want it to weigh 4+ lbs.
Anyone who cares more about a few silly grams than about having a legitimate high performance fork doesn't deserve the diamond.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anyone who cares more about a few silly grams than about having a legitimate high performance fork doesn't deserve the diamond.
To be clear, I'm not saying that that's a good argument. Just one that I'd attribute to a lot of the 120mm wagon week crowd.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Then they would probably be content with a lighter crappier fork for the same price. The design parameters for these things are basically at their limits now I think (weight, strength/durability, performance) where there is literally no way to increase one favorably without decreasing another.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What are people using for bottle cages on MTs? I haven't used a side entry cage ever.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
tapered is one standard that actually makes some sense, and is actually considered a standard - IE that's pretty much the only steerer available these days

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I think the one I have is made by Dimension. It was pretty cheap, and available from QBP/any bike shop.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Leyzene here, and REI usually has em if you don't want to order. Haven't seen them at local bike shops... It seems to work pretty good, but is taking some getting used to jamming it in to the side.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
tapered is one standard that actually makes some sense, and is actually considered a standard - IE that's pretty much the only steerer available these days
True for sure. Unfortunately I'm still stuck with my tiny rod and have to deal with it :jester:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Specialized also makes a side water bottle dealio. You can even get it in carbon. They also do a multi tool that attaches to it.