Quantcast

GT G Box bike in latest issue of DIRT

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Interesting,

But I guess what I don't really get is what's the big deal? It's essentially a hub mounted in the center of the bike instead of the wheel with some funky chain action. What's the big fuss about? The main advantage I suppose would be less weight at the wheel?

The way the bikes are setup now, there's nothing really special about them that I can see. Hasn't Nicolai been mounting Rolf hubs on the mainframe for years now? What's the difference?

The Honda bike on the other had seems to be something totally new and innovative. Slapping a hub in a mainframe seems weak. Unless I'm missing something?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Matt D said:
Interesting,

But I guess what I don't really get is what's the big deal? It's essentially a hub mounted in the center of the bike instead of the wheel with some funky chain action. What's the big fuss about? The main advantage I suppose would be less weight at the wheel?

The way the bikes are setup now, there's nothing really special about them that I can see. Hasn't Nicolai been mounting Rolf hubs on the mainframe for years now? What's the difference?

The Honda bike on the other had seems to be something totally new and innovative. Slapping a hub in a mainframe seems weak. Unless I'm missing something?
Derailleurs suck!

Yanick

Chimp
Sep 11, 2001
Laval, Qc.
Matt D said:
Interesting,

less rotating weight = a big +

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
i cant get over the looks of that thing. Its almost like those old klein URTs. But hey if it works then thats cool, its good to see more companies pushing this (that b1 looks siiiick) Will i be able to get one at my local walmart? aha

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Yes derailleurs suck and less rotating weight is great, I understand this. But you can eliminate the der. on any bike by putting a Rolf on it at the wheel. And as I said, Nicolai has been putting Rolfs mounted on the mainframe for years; why the big fuss now? Is G-boxx just a marketing gimick (that seems to be working) for something that has been around for a while?

I thought G-boxx was going to be a radically new drivetrain with a new totally enclosed drive system, not just a standard internally geared hub slapped on the mainframe. Will it be eventually?

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
sprung vs unsprung weight...

as Alex says, put your arm out streight and move it up and down. Now do the same thing holding a can of coke...see the difference?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
neversummersnow said:

as Alex says, put your arm out streight and move it up and down. Now do the same thing holding a can of coke...see the difference?
then open the can of coke... :dancing:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
neversummersnow said:

derailer + cassette =500g

Unsprung Weight;

DH rim, 600g
hub, 300g
axle, 100g
spokes, 200g
nipples, 60g
dh tire, 1200g
tube, 230g
casette, 300g
derailer, 200g
Disc caliper, 200g
Disc rotor, 100g

We save a whopping 14.5% of the unsprung weight here (actually less because I can't include the swingarm cause I don't have any idea of it's weight).....now, will that make any kind of perceptable difference?

Going back to the coke analogy, hold it out at arms length and wave it around a bit...now take a sip and do the same thing again...can you really tell any difference here ?:D

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Matt D said:
Yes derailleurs suck and less rotating weight is great, I understand this. But you can eliminate the der. on any bike by putting a Rolf on it at the wheel. And as I said, Nicolai has been putting Rolfs mounted on the mainframe for years; why the big fuss now? Is G-boxx just a marketing gimick (that seems to be working) for something that has been around for a while?

I thought G-boxx was going to be a radically new drivetrain with a new totally enclosed drive system, not just a standard internally geared hub slapped on the mainframe. Will it be eventually?
G-boxx IS the new drive system, being developed by Evil/Nicolai (DW) principally (I think.). The GT design is only the 'G-Box' and is completely unrelated to the new system, which I believe is still in development (remember the proto trailbike picture from a while back?)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Jm_ said:
derailer + cassette =500g

Unsprung Weight;

DH rim, 600g
hub, 300g
axle, 100g
spokes, 200g
nipples, 60g
dh tire, 1200g
tube, 230g
casette, 300g
derailer, 200g
Disc caliper, 200g
Disc rotor, 100g

We save a whopping 14.5% of the unsprung weight here (actually less because I can't include the swingarm cause I don't have any idea of it's weight).....now, will that make any kind of perceptable difference?

Going back to the coke analogy, hold it out at arms length and wave it around a bit...now take a sip and do the same thing again...can you really tell any difference here ?:D

Yes, however, the g-boxx gives you both the derailuerless drivetrain that all DHers yearn for AND the lower unsprung weight. Keep in mind that the current alternative to the derailuer, the Rohloff, weighs a LOT more than a regular cassette and der and costs 4x as much and comes with a bunk shifter. Hence thier lack of popularity.

This GT doesn't look like the G-boxx that we've seen on the Imperial and Nicolai. It looks like a crappy tiawan knock-off. Maybe just a nexus hub mounted in the frame.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
buildyourown said:
This GT doesn't look like the G-boxx that we've seen on the Imperial and Nicolai. It looks like a crappy tiawan knock-off. Maybe just a nexus hub mounted in the frame.

Yes, thats exactly what it is. A 8sp internal comfort bike hub bolted to the main frame. Lets see how the hub lasts first, cause the bike ain't going anywhere without it.

It's no where near what DW/Nicolai were trying to do.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ssaddict said:
Yes, thats exactly what it is. A 8sp internal comfort bike hub bolted to the main frame. Lets see how the hub lasts first, cause the bike ain't going anywhere without it.

It's no where near what DW/Nicolai were trying to do.
exactly...Nicolai and DW are starting from scratch....D

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Well, they were trying to invent everything around it though.

The idea wasn't just the rohloff. A G-Boxx standard is what they were trying to make, it was designing a bolt on unit that could be shared with others.

Check out www.G-boxx.org

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
Yanick said:
less rotating weight = a big +

way off.

the hub, even if made from lead would have negligable rotational inertia when compare to a tire at a radial distance of 13 inches.

however, less unsuspended mass IS a big plus here.

me, i just ride hardtails.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
xy9ine said:
they're not re-inventing the transmission, though; the deisigns are stll based on rohloff guts
I think your missing the whole point of G-Boxx...all will be explained at Interbike..I'll look for you there...D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
BoyBoy said:
way off.

the hub, even if made from lead would have negligable rotational inertia when compare to a tire at a radial distance of 13 inches.

however, less unsuspended mass IS a big plus here.

me, i just ride hardtails.

Oh wiat until you see the G-boxx hardtail from Nicolai...as soon as I get mine I may never bee seen again unless you ride my local trails:thumb:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
and GT came out with their own G-box bike years ago....before nicolai was putting rohloffs in frames...

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
Jeremy R said:
Was it in your swingarm? That is where GT kept their weak spot. :devil:

smart arse! :D

actually the two gt's ive had which has died, did so at the headtub junction (sts) and seattube (alu lobo)

i still :heart: gt tho... :love:

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
woot, have always had the love for gt also.

my i-drive died in a spectacular set tube/down tube break all at once. it lasted over 2 years of 200lb teenager aggresion and stupidity though.