Quantcast

**Gravity East Series Schedule**

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I just got off the phone with another local ski resort. They've not had an MTB event since 93, but said I'm welcome to submit a proposal. One big problem. They have no access road to get to the top of their ski hill. So if I held a DH, people would have to push up a 700 foot mountain.
Does this ski "resort" have no chairlift?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
The Gravity East series will be using a new points scoring system that will award points on a general classification basis (ie all classes combined) with points awarded as a percentage off the winning time of the day. The goal is to score zero points. Final tweaks are still being made to it all but it looks to be the best system to allow all existing series to maintain their own classes and scoring systems.

-ska todd

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
The Gravity East series will be using a new points scoring system that will award points on a general classification basis (ie all classes combined) with points awarded as a percentage off the winning time of the day. The goal is to score zero points. Final tweaks are still being made to it all but it looks to be the best system to allow all existing series to maintain their own classes and scoring systems.

-ska todd
doh...I didn't get that one Todd.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Updates and clarifications for Gravity East
1. The Wolf Laurel event was cancelled due to venue availability, not because of lack of interest in the series.
2. The Whitetail event did not cancel, but has a new venue. The new venue for the Capital Cup is Wisp Resort.

Series Rankings Format
Todd is busy finalizing the series rankings formula with submission format. Promoters should be able to use the same excel spreadsheet format for both race results submitted to USA Cycling and to Todd for the series rankings. Todd should be forwarding the final series rankings format within the next week. One thing to note is that in order for this to work, all riders should be competing on the same course at the event.

Overall Series Categories and Classes
Here is the latest suggestion:
Pro/Semi-pro-Open Male
Expert Male: 15-18, 19-29, 30-39, 40+
Sport Male: 14 & under, 15-18, 19-29, 30-39, 40+
Beginner Male: 14 & under, 15-18, 19-29, 30+
Pro/Expert Female
Sport/Beginner Female

A myspace page has also been created for the series at:
http://www.myspace.com/gravityeast

More info will be posted as soon as things are final. We apologize for the delays but several people are working on getting this 100% ready and consistent.

For any questions regarding this series e-mail: gravityeast@gmail.com

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Thats a shame, Cataloochee was one of my all time favorite DH races from WAY back in the day. We used a shuttle truck the last time we had a race there. Why not do it that way again?
Yeah, that was through privately owned property that went to a privately owned peak, over to one side of the top of the ski hill.
That road is now part of an exclusive high dollar development, i.e. rich people who tell you to suck it.

A buddy pulled detailed topo maps of everything there, with and without gradient lines or whatever you call em. The closest access to the top is from the main gravel road. From it to the peak is 435 feet of elevation.
Total elevation is right at 700 feet. I'm trying to do my homework on this one to present an alternative...but how bad do people want to race there.

Are they WILLING to ride a shuttle 300 feet in elevation and then PUSH 400+ feet to the top? In the rest of the world they do...but in Fatmerica?? Again, there is NO road that goes to the top of that mountain....I verified it with satellite photos.

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
Most, if not all of the racersedge schedule is part of the series.....

just guessing here but i woud think theese are RacersEdge races....

1. May 5/6 - Duryea Downhill, PA
2. May 12 - Massanutten Yee-Ha!, VA
5. June 15-17 - Whitetail/Capital Cup, PA
10. September 29/30 - Whisp, MD
Series date are now confirmed:June 15-17 Capital Cup, July 14-15 Md. State Championship, Sept. 29-30 MAC Finals. All races will be at the Wisp resort in McHenry, Md. The Capital Cup and the MAC Finals will be included in the Gravity East series. All races will count (no throw-aways) and the finals will be double points. Riders may substitute results from the Duryea Downhill in the absense of one MAC race. The MAC awards banquet will take place in conjunction with the second annual BikeToberJam at the Hereford Fall and Wine festival. Oct. 20-21 Details to follow......

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
Any word on the July 14/15th yet?

2 weeks before the Sugar National.
It would be cool if it's in the same area or possibly a nearby mountain in Tennessee....:think:
Md. State Championships at Wisp resort. Not part of the GE series though. Deep Creek Lake in July...... Doesn't get any sweeter

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Actually, masturbation does not affect eyesight, but it does curve your spine, grow hair on the back of your hands and keeps the country from winning the war!

PS - looking forward to GECS #1!

RocketMan

Chimp
Apr 3, 2007
damn you're sneaky.
I got the lighter Go ride ti springs in, but haven't ridden it yet. Getting 61/4" of travel in the p-lot test.
Haven't seen any orange uzzi pics anywhere yet. Built?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
yelp, had it up at carters yesterday
thought i'd see you up there.

RocketMan

Chimp
Apr 3, 2007
somebody's going to tell us to get our own chat room at some point, but it was carters vs. hanging with chic.
Post some pics of that bad boy somewhere.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I heard stories at Reading this weekend that Diablo has Pulled out of the Gravity Series. Anyone got the Scoop?
Yes and No...Diablo hasn't "pulled out" nor has USAC "kicked them out" (as I heard from a racer at Duryea race this weekend). It's a complicated issue revolving around insurance fees and the such. We're working on a solution though.

-ska todd

jsh191

Monkey
Nov 16, 2006
birdsboro, pa
i was 1st (course marshall) on the scene... injury was pretty gnarly. talked with one of his friends on race day, and he said everything went well at the hospital and that the doctors felt the knee would be able to be successfully reconstructed. don't know about recovery time or medical details... seemed like a fairly positive prognosis based on the seriousness of the injury...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i was 1st (course marshall) on the scene... injury was pretty gnarly. talked with one of his friends on race day, and he said everything went well at the hospital and that the doctors felt the knee would be able to be successfully reconstructed. don't know about recovery time or medical details... seemed like a fairly positive prognosis based on the seriousness of the injury...
knee could be successfully reconstructed? how extensive was the damage? Talk that was floating around was that it had something to do with his kneecap (that it was partially torn off/ dislocated / what have you)? Doesn't sound pleasant either way. sucks that it had to happen, but its good to hear that he should be ok. send him my regards on a full recovery :thumb:

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Yea,
Chad is in great spirits. He has undrgone surgery to put his shattered Knee cap back together. I think it took like 5 hours. His family was OK with it from what I heard. He has the worse luck. ( shin pads would have been nice though!!!!) He is the same guy who ruptured his spleen at the Blue Mountain snow race last year. Damn guy needs to marry a DR.