Quantcast

got bored, made bike stand

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Saw a picture of a bike stand and got inspired to throw one together last night, 2 hours later got this. Definitely rough looking, but functional. May make a more refined version some time but for now I'm satisfied.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I decided to take an intro to welding class last summer, really enjoyed it and have been in school for it ever since. This is the first functional project I've done at home. Definitely could and should be cleaner and more refined but it works.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You should make it as two separate U shaped arms that slide apart. That way, you could pull it in half and lay flat when you go to race.

Oh, and a hydraulic lift...to elevate it like a NASCAR rig. :D

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
love it. About to buy a Scorpion cuz I'd never seen one before. Would rather pay a monkey less money, especially if it were folding (or carbunz).

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
love it. About to buy a Scorpion cuz I'd never seen one before. Would rather pay a monkey less money, especially if it were folding (or carbunz).
Is it me or did he just raise the prices on the scorpion stands??

I was just about to buy one but they are 70$ now?? They used to be only like 40$ I think??..oh well I guess hes gotta make up for all the ones he gave to all the supercross guys.. I was thinking 40$ was way to cheap anyways..

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Just looked at these a couple of weeks ago.
Re-looked just now.

New website.
Much higher prices for the basic stand.
Could not find the two-piece stand.
No international (didn't notice this the first time around, but could be wrong)

Also looks like no more free name stickers with an order.
Was interesting at 40 or so, but not even close now.

A few bucks of PVC and anybody can make a similar stand...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
A few bucks of PVC and anybody can make a similar stand...
Gonna have to say good luck with that...I used thin wall tubing on my first one...metal...and couldn't hold a bike up to wash it.
Not sued why pvc if always the go-to when people get cheap... Hope you can always afford a bike...
:)

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Gonna have to say good luck with that...I used thin wall tubing on my first one...metal...and couldn't hold a bike up to wash it.
Not sued why pvc if always the go-to when people get cheap... Hope you can always afford a bike...
:)
Pvc could probably hold a bike upright but not much more than that. I can sit on my bike if I want to.

And Scorpion stands when i checked them out last month were $55 for a black one with $15 shipping, and the free personalized stickers. Now they are $70 plus shipping with no stickers. I made mine for $10 worth of square tubing at Lowe's and the rest I had lying around the garage(spray paint, shrink wrap, and round tubing for the spindle, and welder of course)

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Pvc could probably hold a bike upright but not much more than that. I can sit on my bike if I want to.

And Scorpion stands when i checked them out last month were $55 for a black one with $15 shipping, and the free personalized stickers. Now they are $70 plus shipping with no stickers. I made mine for $10 worth of square tubing at Lowe's and the rest I had lying around the garage(spray paint, shrink wrap, and round tubing for the spindle, and welder of course)
Scorpion dude's gotta make a living, right?

Last edited:

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Not bashing him. Just stating my own cost experience.
No, but it is an unfair comparison if you neglect to include the time you spent (labor cost) into your 'cost experience' when it's included in his price.

My comment was more directed, generally, at people who complain about spending an extra $15 on something, which for them is probably negligible, but for the guy making these things is probably the difference between having a viable business and shutting up shop.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
guy had a good idea, and the thing looks well made and it's made in USA. a whole lot of premiums built into that.

Not saying I wouldn't buy a $40 Sette version.