Quantcast

good upper body for stockier guys?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I want an upper body jacket because Im tired of putting myself at so much risk everytime I go out...

I've tried a bunch of different jackets, but none of them fit right because I got neanderthal blood in me... :(

Pretty much, I need a jacket that can support someone who's 5'8" 210lbs, with a 33" waist, 45+" chest, 18"+ biceps and real wide shoulders.

661 shoulders sit on top of mine, as do dainese and most else. Money isn't a big object, but I'd like to keep it reasonable, I'd also prefer a little lighter weight sleeveless jacket.

Thanks!

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Yeah the cups on the 661 may sit wrong(they do on my friend). You may be able to heat up the shoulder cups and shape them better. My friends seem to be settling in but i don't know how good they'll get.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
2004 661 was the only thing I could find that fit. at 6'5 49" chest 40" waist 18in bicep and really wide shoulders it was the only thing that came close. But it is still tight on my arms. But everything I tried was.

Maybe try rockgarden too. They do some custom sizing I believe :)

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
I'm a stocky guy at 5'6, 175lbs and I have the RockGraden flack jacket. Fits decent. The arms are a bit longer than I would prefer but considering our cromag upper bodies that might be the best you can hope for... beside a custom job.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Try the Rockgarden. I had a 661, which fit awfully. My Azonic Z suit (XXL) fit like a damn small.

I got an XL Rockgarden now, and it fits perfect. (I weigh 230 lbs)

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Wait till 05 if you don't need it now... RG is gonna have some sweet stuff

Or get an 04 Flak Jacket, I know a few stockier guys wearing Flak Jackets right now who like the way they fit.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
not really tested or worn any jackets so i dont really know to much about them. but since you wanted the sleevless vest or whatever get it now then get the jacket in 05 when they might have one that will fit you better. just one mans opinion sorry i wasnt much help.

maybee this will help. dimensions for xxxl flax jacket
XXXL: 5"8-6'6" tall. 235-255 lbs, 38"+ waist, 48-50" chest

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
But watch the XXXL sizing...you'll have sleaves dragging on the ground. I found the XL dainese jacket to be pretty big. So maybe XXL???

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
XL 661 pressure suit fits me good. i'm about 6'0, 230lbs with wide shoulders. the cups up top do seem to sit high, but the rest of the suit fits really good.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I am 5'10" and wear 46 or 48 jacket. I have very wide shoulders. I have an XL Dainese safety jacket and it fits fine. The material wasn't stretchy enough?

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
Talk to Mark at Rockgardn and he will take you through all the steps to decide what size you need. I am 5'10 and 180+ with very wide shoulders and their '03 Flak Jacket fits great. I am wearing a medium because I am under 43" in the chest but you should be able to fit into the L or XL.

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
I agree with others on the Rockgarden. I am 5'6 and 195lbs with wide shoulders and my 03 rockgarden fits well. But the shoulders do sit a little high and the arms are a little long but that's not a problem with a long sleve jersey.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
.....take a look @ HOOTS armor. I was in a similar situation in that all the standard jackets I tried on needed a XXl size to fit my arms & shoulders/ chest, but then the arms were waaaaay too long. I bought the hoots & it has been a great fit....

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
Well bro, I have had similar problems with equipment generaly being made to fit normal/slender individuals. I am only 5'5" tall and weigh 179lbs 44" chest and 17" arms. Most of the time if something fits around me it looks like a dress in length. So I went and purchased a motorcross style chest protector. It was cheaper than the pressure suit and fits correctly that and some extra large arm pads and I am good to go. So far no injuries with it on and I ride like a maniac.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^^

Getting ready to say the same thing Pedalist...And we have similar measurements (I'm about 180 lbs, 44" t!ts, and umm, slightly smaller arms @ 15" :( )

Anyway, I tried a Fox motocross chest protector and it's worked beautifully...Great collarbone protection and the shoulder pads actually fit right...Plus, the upper arm protection has an elastic band that should even fit guys with big guns...And like you said, the price is right (got mine barely used for $40)...