Quantcast

good ska bands?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
ska todd said:
Shiz! How could I leave Meph off my list? I musta been asleep at the wheel there. "God Bless Satin" is a must own for anyone, not just rudies. How many 'satanic' ska bands that do Bumble-bee Tuna covers are there?

Another band I was thinking of today is Kemuri. They are from Japan and they kick(ed?) serious ass! I saw them twice. Once w/ Mustard Plug and then once w/ LTJ and Edna's Goldfish (I think??...shows have all tended to blend into one massive show that lasted from 97-00).

PS...heard from Jay from DHC that a "Live" DVD is in the works from their Nov shows in Cali.

-ska todd
Wow awesome!!!

I already ordered their CD.

I just got my Chuck Berry CD last night. :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Any of you ever heard of a band out of Buffalo back in the late 80s/early 90s called David Watts and the Great Train Robbery?? They broke up many years ago, but they were fun as hell and I thought they were excellent. I don't think they ever really broke out of the Northeast (if even that far) though.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
ska todd said:
Shiz! How could I leave Meph off my list? I musta been asleep at the wheel there. "God Bless Satin" is a must own for anyone, not just rudies. How many 'satanic' ska bands that do Bumble-bee Tuna covers are there?
"heeeeeeeeeey, what's this button do? DOOMSDAY!"

Good stuff. :thumb: I LMAO the first time I ordered it for the store I used to work at. The original release of "God Bless Satan" was catalog #666 on Pass The Virgin Records. :)

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
BikeGeek said:
"heeeeeeeeeey, what's this button do? DOOMSDAY!"

Good stuff. :thumb: I LMAO the first time I ordered it for the store I used to work at. The original release of "God Bless Satan" was catalog #666 on Pass The Virgin Records. :)
I can actually remember buying 'God Bless Satan'. I went to my local indie store and they didn't have it. They could 'order' it and have it in a couple days though. I just said screw it and took a train into NYC and went to the Moon storefront instead :) My copy of GBS is scratched to shiz and won't play 'Saba' anymore :(

-ska todd

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
ska todd said:
I can actually remember buying 'God Bless Satan'. I went to my local indie store and they didn't have it. They could 'order' it and have it in a couple days though. I just said screw it and took a train into NYC and went to the Moon storefront instead :) My copy of GBS is scratched to shiz and won't play 'Saba' anymore :(

-ska todd
Is Moon still there?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
stosh said:
Is Moon still there?
Nope :( Moon went out of business in Dec. 2000.

http://ska.about.com/library/2000/aa121600.htm

I remember going past the storefront a cpl weeks after it shut to 'pay my respects'. There was a small pile of wilted flowers 1/2 buried in the slushy snow and scrawled across the front was "Moon Records RIP: Ska Wuz Here". I admit I cried b/c it was at that moment I realized an era in my life was over. I walked around the village and lower Manhattan for a couple hours in a total daze with memories of shows, bands, songs, and people going thru my head.

-ska todd

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
ska todd said:

I remember going past the storefront a cpl weeks after it shut to 'pay my respects'. There was a small pile of wilted flowers 1/2 buried in the slushy snow and scrawled across the front was "Moon Records RIP: Ska Wuz Here". I admit I cried b/c it was at that moment I realized an era in my life was over. I walked around the village and lower Manhattan for a couple hours in a total daze with memories of shows, bands, songs, and people going thru my head.

-ska todd
Yeah I thought I remember hearing that. Only been there once in high school.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
ska todd said:

-ska todd
I try to catch The Toasters when they play near bye.

They play Poughkeepsie sometimes.