Quantcast

Good shop for DH rigs in DC area

Bakes5

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
Maryland (near DC)
Anybody know where a good shop that actually knows something about DH rigs is in the Washington DC area?

Most shops seem confused about anything with a single chainring

Thanks

Bakes

farrell

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
DC
Allso a guy named Oscar who rides DH works at the Revolution cycles in arlington. he can help you out with anything you'll need but it will have to be orderd, they dont stock anything for DH.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i believe pedal and spoke closed a few months back, no? alex at performance springfield is a great mechanic... there's also a few good fols at the bike lane.

farrell

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
DC
huh, look at that, there phone is disconected. I gues your right. thats too bad they were a prety good shop.

Gunther

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
If your looking for high end parts, frames and service contact
Randy at Filzbuilt. (703)451-5582
He sells Intense, Turner, Marzocchi, Raceface, Chris King and more. He has the best prices.

He's already had 3 or so M3's and the new uzzi's are in.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Trail's End in Purcellville, VA (near Leesburg) sells DH rigs. They carry/order Kona and Specialized. From what I can tell, they are also the only store in the area to sponsor a downhill team. (I was on the team last year.)

Their site might be down for maintenance.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
btw i also work at performance in springfield. i have a fairly good understanding of bikes, not matter what type. i will say that i do really perfer the or "extream" aspects though. inbetween alex and i we can get you the right stuff.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
Sir_Crackien said:
btw i also work at performance in springfield. i have a fairly good understanding of bikes, no matter what type. i will say that i do really prefer the more "extreme" aspects though. between alex and i we can get you the right stuff.
didn't mean to leave you out danny boy... didn't know you still worked over there.

btw, i fixed your post :sneaky:

vwmtnbiker

Monkey
May 15, 2004
manasscrack
corey_dcstreet said:
didn't mean to leave you out danny boy... didn't know you still worked over there.

btw, i fixed your post :sneaky:
bwahahaha! dans typing skills ROCK! :D

just a little tid-bit for everyone too...performance has been dropped by jamis. not that they make a full on dh rig (yet) but they make a mean trail bike. seems the company's negotiating skills have pissed off yet another great manufacturer. :thumb: to performance...(i really need to find a new job)

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Sir_Crackien said:
btw i also work at performance in springfield. i have a fairly good understanding of bikes, not matter what type. i will say that i do really perfer the or "extream" aspects though. inbetween alex and i we can get you the right stuff.
I can work on DH rigs.......if I ever get hours! LOL

Actually, the 3 shops that can help you is Springfield performance (about 4 dudes know there DH stuff Dan, Brett, Alex and ahhhhh, me), Bike lane and Randy Filz.

No more Jamis? Road bikes nice..........FS are a POS and now that they do not have a FSR linkage they are bike that does not hold up, terrible warranty and now doesn't pedal well. Probably a good decision on Performances part.

IMHO

PS
Corey pls cheack my spelling and grammar usage..........thx

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
SDH said:
I meant that work in Springfield...........

Unless you work in Springfield now...............
LOL...I think you missed the point there Steve-o :sneaky:

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I would say Fleet Street Cycles. The shop I work at deals more with all mountain bikes just because there isnt a large need for DH rigs in the Central MD area. At my shop, we are supposed to be getting in the new Enduros and those new Giant Faiths. We do have a Gemini 900 in a Large for like below $2G or something like that. Not a full on DH bike but a very nice bike indeed.

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
Patuxent Adventure Center on Solomons Island south on D.C. is a great shop. There mechanic Drew knows his stuff and hooks me up all the time. Though you will have to order since they dont stock DH parts. They sell Specialized, Tomac, and Banshee

www.paxadventure.com

zaphod1

Monkey
Oct 7, 2004
great mills md
Yea man Patuxent Adventure Center. Is one of the best shops as far as service, and price. You do have to order the parts you need But Drew knows his stuff. He's been to a couple Specialized factory classes and getaways. Also a great wheel builder. Check em out....

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Fleet Street Cycles... I'm not biased at all. As far as regular maintenence you should really learn how to do it yourself, especially with a DH bike it ends up being crucial. I'd say about 90 percent of repairs and ajustments on my DH bike ahve to be done in the middle of riding sessions.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
TheInedibleHulk said:
Fleet Street Cycles... I'm not biased at all. As far as regular maintenence you should really learn how to do it yourself
Very true. Considering that during the season shops get extremely backed up with bikes. Now is a good time to get a tune up if you cant do it yourself.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
If you want to go for a drive, come on down to richmond and check out Rowletts :)

I put in another vote for Springfield Performance, especially when i'm working (which is not much anymore, seeing as I'm in Richmond)

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
TheInedibleHulk said:
Fleet Street Cycles... I'm not biased at all. As far as regular maintenence you should really learn how to do it yourself, especially with a DH bike it ends up being crucial. I'd say about 90 percent of repairs and ajustments on my DH bike ahve to be done in the middle of riding sessions.
Also Morgan, at Catonsville Bike Shop has plenty of experience doing setup, tuning, and repair of DH bikes

(i am biased phil !)

evilbike

Chimp
Jan 14, 2005
If you are a drunk redneck and your dh rig is a rusted out Schwinn Varsity with baby spiders crawling out of the crispy flat tires, then I may have already fixed it at the Manassas, VA Performance. Yet another Performance location where we can order you just about anything, but mostly carry xc/road product. Not too brag, but I'm a decent wrench- I rarely resort to hammers. We have at least two guys (Mark [very short] and Loren [strikingly handsome in an apron and quite tall]) who know a thing or two about a thing or two.

The key is to avoid the store manager. He's a confirmed idiot.

And oh yeah, we have cheap inner tubes.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
evilbike said:
who know a thing or two about a thing or two.
Haha, that is great. Never heard that line before.

evilbike said:
The key is to avoid the store manager. He's a confirmed idiot.
Wow, that is great too. So your saying, come in and just bolt to the shop. Avoid everyone else in sight. Nice.

Sep 29, 2004
Joey a the bike lane is a pretty big dh racer, or wa si think hes stopped for a while... most of those guys ar einto the "freeride" scene, i just saw a vp-free with the fox 40 g through a few weeks ago, id check hem out good guys...