Quantcast

Good Hardpack UST Tire Besides DHF and Comp 24?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I've got a race coming up next week, and I need some help on tires for the course (Highland mountain, NH - mostly very hard packed). I've got plenty of experience on Michelin Comp 24's and Maxxis DHF's, but QBP is out of both right now.

Any advice on a good substitute? I'd really prefer UST if at all possible - my beater wheels are ghetto'd Azonic Outlaws, and my race wheels are 853's.

Thanks,

John

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
have a look at some intense edges, they have a similar thread to a comp 24, just a bit more aggressive.

as for ust, they have a good bead and seal really well, just need a little bit of sealant.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I pretty much only put High Rollers or Minion F's on for racing at that mountain. It appears QBP is out of the UST High Rollers as well though.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
It appears QBP is out of the UST High Rollers as well though.
the standard (3C) maxxis work perfectly w/o tubes fyi....

John, if you really want some 24s, I have a couple brand new ones sitting here in my garage. I could sell them to you at 'cost' or you could send me something when they are available again....shipping might be a b1tch from seattle (time and $$) but let me know if you want to stay with what you know...

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
the standard (3C) maxxis work perfectly w/o tubes fyi....
Yes, I never used UST tires when I used to run 823s, standards with stans worked fine. I figured I'd keep it relative to UST though since he didn't seem open to non-UST. (They're in stock)

jsh191

Monkey
Nov 16, 2006
birdsboro, pa
Hutchinson Barracuda.
i just started running the cuda's (2.5) on my bottlerocket, and have nothing but good things to say. i've run them on hardpack and loose east coast terrain, and would definitely buy them again.

greenfishsports (out of NY) has them for $13 a tire in wire bead....that's a deal you can't pass up.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Those are about the worst hardpack tires I can think of.
I thought so at first. Then I fgured out you make the tire's push over and then they hook up. Sounds retarded but the tire hooks better when you ride like a total asshole and push it over, finesse cornering on hardpack is NOT rewarded however. A worn Barracuda is horrible on hardpack too. The low rebound (lrc) when it wears the side knobs fold over and that's scary on hardpack. So in summary go too fast on fresh tires and its pretty good on hardpack ;)
Its just rediculously good in the loose that I'll live with its quirks

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I have to agree with Woo about the Cudas...awesome in loamy/soft dirt, but absolutely scary on anything relatively hard pack.

DHF or HR for me - nothing else.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Too bad everyone's out of UST Maxxis tires right now. They are usually 100 grams lighter than their counterparts. (1200 grams vs. 1300 for 3c's.) I still haven't tried a DHF on the rear to see how it compares to my favorite rear; the Highroller.

Although these are tough to find as well; I have a set of 2.35 UST Nevegals that roll really fast and have a thicker casing. Just don't lean the bike too hard...