Quantcast

Going to moab, need some advice

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
Im going to moab in a couple days, and need some help deciding what bike/tires to bring. Im primarily a downhiller and free rider, however if most of the trails require significant pedaling , i dont want to be pissed off and pushing everywhere.

Bikes:
Astrix Havoc (41lbs 64* head angle and super short seat tube)
888rc3wc
roco air or heavy custom el jefe

Sworks enduro (30-36lbs depending on build)
halo combat wheels (2600g) or v1 am (1750 grams)
dhx air or avy 5th (which increases travel to 165 but adds a lb)
2008 talas 36

tires (2 of each): michi comp 24s 2.5 (1280)
intense ex lite 2.5 dc (1050g)
muddy mary tripple nano 2.5 freeride (980g)
prowler 2.5 mx race (folding bead and single ply) (1050g)
some krads and holly rollers
1 of each: single ply folding weirwolf (750g)
michi wild grip'r 2.4 (860g)

Im leaning towards bringing the sworks eduro with the avy and heavy wheelset (combats) with the prowler mx front and rear. Ive been talking to some people and gotten avid votes for just about every combo out there, tire and bike (i will admit full dh with holy rollers on slick rock sounds like a total blast....until the sand and loose stuff)

Any advice would be much appreciated! although im sure ill have a blast on whatever i bring.

Last edited:

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
bring the s works for sure. there's plenty of badass trails that require climbing and would tire you out quickly on a DH. however there is stuff to ride a big bike on there too, places like bartletts wash would have some really fun stuff that might be a tad big for the enduro. if you can manage it i would bring both bikes. i would also run DH casing tires on the enduro for the rocks.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Enduro + V1 AM + Avy + MMs

If you can swing two bikes bring the DH bike for Bartlet's, Dave's and the Chili Pepper trails. The really classic stuff requires a lot of climbing though, so you definitely need the Enduro.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Pretty much +1 for gurp. The main thing I'd add is maybe consider some tires out of your stock that have a harder rubber compound as Moab's rocks will tear up soft rubber quickly. I don't think a full DH carcass is necessary, but something AM - FR would hold up fine and still be light enough to pedal uphill.

Your location appears to be in CO Springs part of the time...if you set your trail bike up like you're going to rally the more technical stuff at Palmer Park, you should be good.

Sarah1984

Chimp
Aug 9, 2011
I recommend you the moto raptor 2.4's because they are :thumb:performed well and cheap to get ahold of.

Last edited:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Sworks for sure

Tires don't matter as much in Moab. If your with some XC wennies, run some 2.3" XCish tires. If your with people not as concerned with how long it takes for climbs, go with whatever 2.5 front, 2.3 rear