Quantcast

Going from Bottlerocket to Reign X1?

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
Guys,

I have been ripping a Bottlerocket for everything from trail rides to annual trips to Whistler for the past two years. I have finally decided that I want to make a change because I just have never gotten used to climbing the 38lb beast.

I am thinking that I could pick up a Reign X1 for everything and then just swap out the 36 for a 66 or a Totem for the bike park stuff. I would be doing mostly aggressive trail riding and shuttling with a small amount of djing mixed in. We also hit up Mammoth, Whistler and then Fontana a few times a year to run the race course.

Is the Reign going to feel markedly better than the Rocket as far as climbing?

Will the ReignX hold up for park riding or am I better off buying a complete lighter trail bike (with slack angles) and then also something like a Demo or Blindside frame and then swap over the Brocket parts to the DH frame so that I have two bikes? I always felt like I was undergunned with the Rocket on the steep tech trails at Whislter and the Shore.

Thanks for the help.:biggrin:

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
The ReignX is definitely the bike you're looking for, judging from your description. I've never ridden a bottle rocket, so I can't directly compare its climbing ability to the ReignX. I can, however, tell you that the ReignX climbs extremely well. I live in Bozeman, MT and I ride the Reign a lot up hill. I've got a smaller trail bike (a 5.5" Mongoose Teocali), but I never use it since the ReignX climbs so well and is amazing on the downhill.

I had my Reign X1 (in my signature) at Whistler this year. It held up just fine. I did wish that I had a bigger fork on it at the park, though. A 66 or Totem would be perfect, so you're on the right track there. The 36 is great for everything else.

--Ben

Last edited:

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
first off ill extend you an invitation to the X-bottlerocket club.

I owned mine for 1.5 seasons and decided to switch to something with more squish. when it came to jumps and smooth trails the BR ruled but if you had rocks, highspeed, or pedaling uphill it wasn't the best.
i first opted to get a nicolai UFO ST cause it had similar geo and it had 7" front and rear. it was on the heavy side so i then bought an intense Slopestyle used. I is the perfect all around bike. I know it costs alot but its worth looking into.

as for the reign X. There are 2 other bikes i would love to get some good quality time on. the reign x and the specialized sx trail.

i think all of these options would be a more versitile option then the BR. speaking from experience on the SS it beats the BR in every aspect even jumping. this is my opinion though others might disagree.

good luck choosing though.