Quantcast

Going back to mechanicals less maintenance

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Less maintenance how? There are more moving parts in a mechanical system that are subject to wear and contamination. And they will never match the power and modulation of a decent pair of hydraulic brakes.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Not to mention needing to constantly adjust for pad wear, but to answer your question, the BB7 is the only mech you should be considering.

Cutters

Chimp
Mar 5, 2008
Everett, WA
BB7'S are the best mechanical brake period. Better than a lot of hydraulic brakes on the market. If they are setup right, they have as much power as a Juicy 7 or other hydraulics that cost twice as much. Great brakes.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
BB7s are the only choice for going mechanical. The feel at the lever is not intrinsically spongy, as was posted above. Rather, it can be adjusted from soft and squishy to on/off hard and solid, provided you take the time to make the adjustments (and your levers have the equivalent of what Avid calls the "Speed Dial.") If you are looking to get away from the hydraulic part of hydraulic brakes, and are happier dealing with different set of adjustments, they are a great way to go. It's also good if you are able to keep rotors pretty straight.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I run the BB7's on one of my bikes, and Juicy 7s on the other. As much as I have adjusted the BB7s, I just can't get them to feel right. They are great for what they are, but I definitely notice the difference between them and the 7s, with the clear advantage to the latter.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
For the best lever feel on a BB7, use smooth cable routing and a good-quality lever with solid lever pivots. Paul's Love Lever... Avid Speed Dial Ultimate... Shimano XTR. The sloppy lever pivots on the Avid levers below the SD Ultimate will make the BB7 feel spongy.