Quantcast

Goggle recommendations?

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
I have a pair of Uvex double lens goggles that I am moderately happy with. The lens seem to scratch fairly easily and now there is moisture in between the lens.

Any recommendations for affordable (<$50) eye protection would be appreciated.

Thanks

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I just got a pair of Rockgarden goggles, and love them! They look and feel really nice. Next to the Rockgardens, I also like Oakley goggles...

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I really like my oakley O frames. pretty cheap too. i would recommend stopping by your local moto-x store and trying a bunch on. bring your helmet with you.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Actually, i have a few pairs of the lowest end Oakley SKI goggle. I like it alot because it refuses to fog, and was like $20...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Any goggle that fits inside your helmet right and has a clean lense is what will fit the bill.

Got the moto shops and bike shops and bring your helmet.

When riding dirtbikes growing up I always seem to have Scott (89 series I :think: ) and still like them....I tried an Oakley (might be an O frame...what ever was cheapest) and they are smaller over all and comfy. I haven't found many goggles that are real bad....

so long as the lenses are clean and don't have bad scratches....they are all pretty good.

I think the Fly goggles have interchangable lenses with the Scott 89 so lense availability shuoldn't be a problem.

Rhino

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
RhinofromWA said:
Any goggle that fits inside your helmet right and has a clean lense is what will fit the bill.

Got the moto shops and bike shops and bring your helmet.

When riding dirtbikes growing up I always seem to have Scott (89 series I :think: ) and still like them....I tried an Oakley (might be an O frame...what ever was cheapest) and they are smaller over all and comfy. I haven't found many goggles that are real bad....

so long as the lenses are clean and don't have bad scratches....they are all pretty good.

I think the Fly goggles have interchangable lenses with the Scott 89 so lense availability shuoldn't be a problem.

Rhino
:stupid:

Even when taken care of goggles will take a beating. They will all fog up at some point and they all get scratched eventually. I wear spy at the moment because availability of replacement lenses and tear-offs is good in my area

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Frankenschwinn said:
:stupid:

Even when taken care of goggles will take a beating. They will all fog up at some point and they all get scratched eventually. I wear spy at the moment because availability of replacement lenses and tear-offs is good in my area
ive never seen a pair of yodais fog. but they scratch if they even dare touch anything

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
the secret to keeping a fresh pair of goggles is Tear Offs. Stick a tear off on a nice clean pair of goggles before you hit the lifts and ride with it on all day. At the end of the day, rip it off and clean the lens with soapy water before the next day's riding and repeat with a new Tear Off. I get by with a single lens all season long by doing that.

The only time in the past 2 seasons I left a tear off off my goggles, I had a brand new set of goggles on and a tree limb popped me square between the eyes and grooved the entire lens from 1 side to the other and ruined it. New goggles...first run...last run....

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Whatever you do, get MX goggles. Avoid the temtation to buy snow goggles on clearance.
I'm rocking the Spy Alloys right now and love them. Their lower end Targa is good and cheap if you dont need posts for tear-offs.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
buildyourown said:
Whatever you do, get MX goggles. Avoid the temtation to buy snow goggles on clearance.
I'm rocking the Spy Alloys right now and love them. Their lower end Targa is good and cheap if you dont need posts for tear-offs.
Why the no to snow?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Utopia's

I used to like my Oakleys, however the Utopia goggles blow the Oakleys out of the water. The Utopia goggles have much better sweat absorption than any other googles. Also, I haven't had a single problem with fogging.

I second the tear off recomendation

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Red Bull said:
Why the no to snow?
Have you tried MX goggles? The optical clarity is much better. They are designed to fit helmets, and the frames are designed to take a beating and shed dirt. Snow is pretty gentle compared to MX roost.

This isnt a brand thing either. I had a pair of Spy snow goggles and I thought they sucked. I was blown away by their MX goggle.

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
I'm using the Smith Warps for 3 years now. They're perfect. Fit, view, anti-fog it's all tops.
Replacement lenses are dead cheap here in europe. And the variety on offer is more than you need.
I currently use some kind of polariod lens. Which is the dog's bollocks. It's clear but cut's the UV out. Even on sunny dai'm not blinded and going from the open into the forest happens without the dark tunnel syndrome, the other way around works just as well. Never used the anti-fog double lens. never had it fog up enough to swith lenses.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
BadFastard said:
I'm using the Smith Warps for 3 years now. They're perfect. Fit, view, anti-fog it's all tops.
Replacement lenses are dead cheap here in europe. And the variety on offer is more than you need.
I currently use some kind of polariod lens. Which is the dog's bollocks. It's clear but cut's the UV out. Even on sunny dai'm not blinded and going from the open into the forest happens without the dark tunnel syndrome, the other way around works just as well. Never used the anti-fog double lens. never had it fog up enough to swith lenses.
HAH HAH! :rolleyes:
Igonrance is bliss my friend. I had Warps too and thought they were worlds better than what I'd had...until I got Spy Alloy's last year. Tons better!! You have no idea...seriously...the difference is huge. :thumb:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
If you need to buy some, get motocross goggles with tear off mounts. If you have old snow goggles allready just use those. Might as well get some use of 'em.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I dig the Smith Warps. They fit my helmet, and work all around awesome.

Dave

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
dw said:
I dig the Smith Warps. They fit my helmet, and work all around awesome.

Dave
Were you at Diablo this last weekend on a blue sunday, rocking the MadCatz/IH Uniform- Minus the sponsors?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I've been using Scott OTG (over the glasses) MX goggles for years. I run them with clear double lenses. I also use the Scott Quik-strap system which attaches the goggles to my helmets with a plastic hinge and velcro. Works very well. The Scotts are the only goggles I've found so far that will fit over my glasses without touching them. I use the same goggles in the snow-version for skiing. Lenses are cheap and easy to replace.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
AusRottenVirus said:
OAKLEY all the way. Best optics EVER, and don't even try to disagree because you'll be wrong! :angry:

Having come offa Oakley that i used for about 10 years, and had about 10 differnt goggles, i can say with confidence thier goggles aren't even close to the best optics on the market.