Quantcast

Go Pro advice

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I just picked up a Go Pro H3 Black edition and am looking for some advice. Is there any disadvantages to filming in the "Protune" (raw) setting? I'm going to be using a chest harness and it looks like the 1440p setting is suggested.

I thought that I read that there was a setting recommendation that was ideal for filming in transitions from bright to shaded areas..but I can't find that now.

Without the viewer how do you determine the best angle for the chest harness, trial and error?

I'm a first time user and just looking for any tips or suggestions that may be helpful. Thanks

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
If you have an iphone, you can use the gopro app to see the camera view on your phone (whether attached to your body, or staged down the trail. Just need to be in bluetooth range.*
You can also play back content this way to see if you got the shot etc.

* I also just got a 3 black and read this method but have yet to actually try it.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
If you have an iphone, you can use the gopro app to see the camera view on your phone (whether attached to your body, or staged down the trail. Just need to be in bluetooth range.*
You can also play back content this way to see if you got the shot etc.

* I also just got a 3 black and read this method but have yet to actually try it.
Hmm, very cool. I scanned through the instructions last night and didn't see that. It didn't help that I was reading it from that tiny little 4x4 instruction booklet with miniscule font!

Downloading the app now..

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Is there any disadvantages to filming in the "Protune" (raw) setting? I'm going to be using a chest harness and it looks like the 1440p setting is suggested.

The only disadvantage is the extra time you'll spend in post-prod. Instead of simply pulling the videos off the card and popping them into a video, you'll have to (well, not HAVE to) adjust white balance, sharpening, misc color settings, etc to give the footage some pop and specialtacularnessicity. If you shoot in raw and don't do any post-processing, you'll end up with bland video.

I thought that I read that there was a setting recommendation that was ideal for filming in transitions from bright to shaded areas..but I can't find that now.

Check the White Balance settings in the manual. There is a low light mode.

Without the viewer how do you determine the best angle for the chest harness, trial and error?

Buy the LCD BacPac or make use of the built-in WiFi and use the GoPro app.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Wear the chest harness as tight as you can. the camera rattles around a lot
This is true. On mine, installing that white rubber doo hicky helped and also I put a layer of gorilla tape on the chest mount itself right under where the mount for the camera goes. This keeps is it from moving as much and takes away that damn clicking noise.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
I put 3/8" self stick weather strip on the bottom of the back side of the chest mount it gave me a perfect angle and yes it the chest mount is not really tight the camera will shake

Jeremy R thanks for the clicking noise fix I always thought it was my earbuds cord

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
I know it may be a PIA, but try to write/remember your cam settings or better yet verbally record them so when you playback videos you can hear what settings you were in. From there you can better get an idea of which settings you like for the conditions you're riding. For instance, I took my H3 Black out of the box slapped it on my helmet and used it in its factory settings and liked the video quality, then I started to experiment with the settings and now I can't get back to what I liked because I didn't remember the original settings. (any of you remember them?)

Some friends have the chesty mount and say that the cam needs to be angled "up" for best results when riding because of your body position on the bike.