Quantcast

^^^GMT for Thirsty Thursday^^^

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hola all.

The interminably bored or insomniac should check the last two posts in my thread, as I brain-dumped there last night and this morning. :D

Acutely, nothing that exciting is going on with me besides my possibly-too-tall-for-me Turner 6 Pack build nearing completion. Pics shall be forthcoming, possibly later today.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Happy Friday for me! YOU HEARD ME! Sometimes your left hand doesn't know when the right hand is coming or going!

23 miles at 17.5 mph on the road bike last night. Like, actual road miles with hills and not the flat rail trail. It's nice to have graduated from flat rides.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
its my friday too. last night in my current house, big move tomorrow. very excited. have a bottle of barrel aged old rasputin chilled to celebrate

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Mornin! Got out for a quick spin last night with my older brother. It was good to get in a relaxed pace ride, I can work on my slow speed manuevers.

Not much on tap for this evening. Just trying to get rid of a bunches accumulated crap. I feel claustrophobic.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Morning, after a week in Montana, six job offers, my current employer finally decided to ask me what it would take to stay...... His offer was a one dollar raise?????? Talk about a slap in the face...

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Getting interviewed today by a journalist who writes for various publications (Mother Jones, Utne) on a show that I saw 25 years ago (oral history thing):

I have lot of stories on that show, including people buying beers just to throw at the band. I think....was 25+ years ago...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Work has been crazy, but at least I have a cool distraction brewing.

I think the last time I saw C.O.C. was 1989, and DRI was 1988? Wow, I'm old.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Wife and I attended a lecture last night by Neil deGrasse Tyson, potentially the nerdiest thing I've ever done, and it was awesome. Great guy, great speaker, he's clearly very passionate about what he does, though I did leave more than a bit dismayed by the state of science and research in the U.S. If you ever get a chance, go see him.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
:wave:

Wife and I attended a lecture last night by Neil deGrasse Tyson, potentially the nerdiest thing I've ever done, and it was awesome. Great guy, great speaker, he's clearly very passionate about what he does, though I did leave more than a bit dismayed by the state of science and research in the U.S. If you ever get a chance, go see him.
OMG, I would have totally loved that geek out session. I saw Brian Greene when he was in town doing a talk on string theory. My head was so full by the end of the night.

And I couldn't agree more about the future of science and technology in 'Merica.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Getting interviewed today by a journalist who writes for various publications (Mother Jones, Utne) on a show that I saw 25 years ago (oral history thing):

I have lot of stories on that show, including people buying beers just to throw at the band. I think....was 25+ years ago...
not quite as old.....but i found a review of the first time i saw nick cave....it was memorable for this line...

"Here’s a sad one," warns Cave. "That’s what I do. That and…" he waggles a finger, searching for the word, "…oh, angry!"

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Good morning! Got new contacts, they are killing me. Counting down the minutes until lunch so I can run home and get my old glasses... *sigh* #firstworldproblems

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I couldn't agree more about the future of science and technology in 'Merica.
Science and technology in America will continue to thrive, with the work performed by foreign grad students and post-docs as is largely the case today.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Science and technology in America will continue to thrive, with the work performed by foreign grad students and post-docs as is largely the case today.
i have wondered how soon will the long term effects of that will be felt, even since my college years as a foreign student in the US.

I saw a bunch of the best and brightest students return to their countries, because they couldnt get a resident visa to stay... I think that was probably the first or second generation of students to do so (back in my parent´s generation, it was very easy to stay in the US after college; and many, but the wealthiest, did stay for decades).

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
He showed a chart of scientific investment by different governments as a percentage of GDP from the 60's vs today. It was pretty disheartening.