Quantcast

Gloves Or No Gloves?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
No gloves. I keep a thin pair of Fox Attack gloves in my pack for when it gets really cold or if my grips get wet somehow (dew, stream crossings, etc).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The used bike I got a few years ago had grip tape applied to the brake levers/shifters/dropper lever. Made for really nice touch on the control surfaces, especially in muddy conditions. However that shit shreds the fingertips of all my gloves in just a few rides so I had to remove it, and I need gloves the majority of the year.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Never understood grip tape on levers.
But then I don't ever remember my finger/thumb slipping off a brake lever or shifter paddle

I am not a good enough rider to dare riding sans gloves.
Been riding gloveless so long now that I genuinely struggle to ride as well WITH gloves.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Never understood grip tape on levers.
But then I don't ever remember my finger/thumb slipping off a brake lever or shifter paddle

Been riding gloveless so long now that I genuinely struggle to ride as well WITH gloves.
You can just engage the lever more with the tip of your finger which allows for better ergonomics IMO.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
They're exactly the same as mtb gloves
Sure? It seems to me that those MTB gloves have a really thin palm, so they are good for sweat absorption but not protect your hands much in a crash (e.g. Fox Pawtector). The Moto gloves have a way thicker palm and more rugged construction (e.g. Fox Dirtpaw)

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
No gloves, except when cold or the terrain is too much for my dainty palms in a fall (sharp slate, for instance).

Renthal super tacky grips for the win. Slide-on, not lock on.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You can just engage the lever more with the tip of your finger which allows for better ergonomics IMO.
Nah. I still don't get it.
Unless you mean you run your levers bite point/throw way out instead of close to your grips

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
speaking of gloves - anyone know a good product to add 'grippers' to the thumb and index finger? i've got a pair of gloves that i like when i do occasionally wear gloves that don't have them and are slippery on the shifter and levers.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
speaking of gloves - anyone know a good product to add 'grippers' to the thumb and index finger? i've got a pair of gloves that i like when i do occasionally wear gloves that don't have them and are slippery on the shifter and levers.
Blob of shoe goo?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Sure? It seems to me that those MTB gloves have a really thin palm, so they are good for sweat absorption but not protect your hands much in a crash (e.g. Fox Pawtector). The Moto gloves have a way thicker palm and more rugged construction (e.g. Fox Dirtpaw)
There are obviously variations but that's more manufacturer and model, not sport. I've had plenty of different pairs of moto gloves and they're no different than what I own for mtb gloves (and now I obviously use the same ones for both)

They used to sell dirtpaws as mtb gloves and still do sell several of the same ones as both.

Last edited:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Honestly man, I don't know how some of you east coasters could ride without them. It's really low humidity where I ride. If that were different, I'd wear gloves.

I do wear them for moto but that's more a vibration blister thing. And I did wear them if it's raining or cold for mtb. But people have no idea how much less arm pump you get with that little less of a thickness to the grip.
this. it's either humid and you're sweaty as fuck, or chilly enough to need/want them for most of the year. not much between the two.

i have had a few wrecks that they have for sure protected things, and i do like the padding provided on some (particularly the outer knuckles) for the inevitable pilot-error tree punching times.

thin gloves, no palm/heel padding, some knuckle protection, screw the little bits of stuff they stick on the finger and thumb tips for grip - it all peels off anyhow. just make the thumb and index finger bits seam-less and tougher materials.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I had a couple of pairs of Oakley Factory Pilot gloves back in the day but I think they had goatse leather palms that busted out pretty quickly.
View attachment 167330
The cayennes are proper street bike gloves with double layer kangaroo hide in the palm with sliders. Actually wore them a few times on the MTB after recovering from thumb surgery. the slider puck can kind of hook onto the handlebar and takes some of the weight off the thumb.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
There are obviously variations but that's more manufacturer and model, not sport. I've had plenty of different pairs of moto gloves and they're no different than what I own for mtb gloves (and now I obviously use the same ones for both)

They used to sell dirtpaws as mtb gloves and still do sell several of the same ones as both.
Damn, you are right. They sell the Pawtector also as moto glove. :no:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
and now they don't sell the pawtector as an mtb glove any more (same with the dirtpaws)

notice the trend yet?

They literally sell the same shit for each purpose but just rotate who they market them to
I actually don't care as long as I can color matchy-match them to the rest of my "kit". :D ;)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

Dirt paws and troy lee...light to medium and handle a hand landing skid very well...not too worried about the back of my hands and knuckles are already solid from certain sports over the years.. carbon knuckles I tried on my old street bike and on my thumper mx...can't stand em. Feels like the knuckle plate digs in over time especially long desert runs...

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
this. it's either humid and you're sweaty as fuck, or chilly enough to need/want them for most of the year. not much between the two.

i have had a few wrecks that they have for sure protected things, and i do like the padding provided on some (particularly the outer knuckles) for the inevitable pilot-error tree punching times.

thin gloves, no palm/heel padding, some knuckle protection, screw the little bits of stuff they stick on the finger and thumb tips for grip - it all peels off anyhow. just make the thumb and index finger bits seam-less and tougher materials.
Yeah Eastcoaster Mid-Atlantic here. We might get a few weeks a year that riding without gloves is nice. And I'll keep a pair in the pack for rocky downhills between trees.