Quantcast

Giant AC Progressive 5th Element Setup

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I know there are a couple guys on this board that are riding AC bikes with an aftermarket 5th Element. I was curious as to what kind of setup numbers you guys are running and how it rides with that setup. Also, any setup tips specific to the 5th/AC combo. I have a 5th on the way, should be here this week, and I'd like to get a little jump on the setup time.

Thanks in advance.

Big

Surly

Chimp
I love mine. I'm in between spring weights, so I've got max preload on the spring. About 130 psi in the chamber, max volume.
Rebound is set 1/2 out. High speed compression is almost minimum, and low speed compression about 1/2 through its range.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE COMPRESSION ADJUSTERS! They are fairly fragile. Go easy with the allen wrench.

I think you'll be verrrrrrrrrrrry pleased.

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
When you get your bike be sure to have them give you one of the quick set up charts. It will get you started on fork and shock settings for any Giant.
There are two, try and get the one with all the torque specs on the back side. The other has frame fit.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Rev.Chuck
When you get your bike be sure to have them give you one of the quick set up charts. It will get you started on fork and shock settings for any Giant.
There are two, try and get the one with all the torque specs on the back side. The other has frame fit.
I've already abused the bike plenty. The 5th is a replacement for the Rock Shox Blow Deluxe that came on the bike.

LOL

Rustmouse

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by Surly
BE CAREFUL WITH THE COMPRESSION ADJUSTERS! They are fairly fragile. Go easy with the allen wrench.

I think you'll be verrrrrrrrrrrry pleased.
The fifth elements come with a funky plastic allen wrench thinggie for a reason....

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by Rev.Chuck
I've got to read stuff closer. You still might want the chart tho. It lists the setup for the swinger (a liscensed 5th element) .
As I have no time on the 5th, I'm not sure how similar the swinger is to it, but the Swinger on my AC kicks a$$. I run my platform at 150psi, and I swaped in a 550# spring (450# stock) to address sag (killing my pedals!). The pedaling is spot on for seated climbs, and you really don't lose much when you're up out of the saddle. I only run the compression a couple of clicks in (sorry for the uber-tech explanations here:rolleyes: ) for everyday riding, and have not hit anything that would make me want to ramp it up further. The thing I played with the most so far is the platform...its amazing how you can manipulte this shock!

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I got the shock just before lunch today and here's the settings I used.....

AV - 2 turns in
AP - 110 psi
HSC - 1.5 turns in
LSC - 0
R - 3 turns from fastest
Spring - 500 lbs with little preload.

I set it up kinda soft with a smaller chamber to prevent bottoming.

Plush and pedals AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks for the tips guys.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
450 lb/in spring
150 psi
2 turns in on the progressive adjustment
2 turns in on all three damping adjustments.

That's a good place to start for 170-200 lb agressive rider in the 6" travel mode. It feels like a lot more than 6" but is still XC rideable.

What do you want it to feel like and I'll give you a more specific setup?

Replacing the stock Rock Shox with the Fifth was the best thing that I could have done to my AC. It made the bike ride so much better. The pedaling improved dramatically and the travel seems bottomless. I didn't realize how bad my Pyslo was sprung/damped until I put the Fifth on.