Quantcast

Ghost Chilies and cooking...

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
So my brother knows that I can take more spice than a human should consume so he bought me a big bag of dried ghost chilis. Well, to prove a point to him I ate a full one last night without anything to drink for 15min....

First of all, I don't recomend that to ANYBODY!!! Second of all, it actually was not as bad as I thought (I have snacked on habenero peppers before). Anyways, anybody on here have any experience cooking with them? I heated up a bowl of chicken noodle soup just now and chopped up two of them in there and it added a good punch but am looking for something a little more subtle. Any suggestions?

I'm currently thinking of trying to make a ghost chili ice cream. Last year I made an amazing mango habenero ice cream that was incredible.

Finally, sorry for the crappy spelling...beer consumption is at a maximum today.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Lol dude, I am not a fan of spicy foods. But spicy ice cream??? I would definitely try that!!

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Yeah, it's something I've made before and my friends think I'm crazy but it's quite good. It's like spicy cocktails...I had a habenero lime margereta last night that was epic.

Yes...my spelling really does suck :P

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Take some of the chilies, break them up a bit and put them in olive oil and let them hang out on the counter for a couple months. Anything you cook with this oil will have heat to it.

You can then saute your favorite fruit in the oil and mix it into ice cream. Mmmm...

Zagreus

Chimp
Jan 3, 2010
S. California
The olive oil business is excellent.

I like to use ghost-chilies on pizza, easy to incorporate, especially if they are already in olive oil.

Perhaps my favorite use for ghost-chillies is making a ghost-chili bloody-mary. All the usual ingredients, plus ghost-chilies (worcestershire, tabasco, horseradish, pepper, tomato juice, vodka, celery salt, lemon-juice). Let the drink sit in the fridge for 30min or more before pouring over ice in order to let the chili infuse the whole drink. Keep a cold light (well, not literally a light beer, I'm not a b****) beer on hand to wash it down, because you'll need it.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My Uncle makes to 2 kind of Pickled Peppers. He makes Sweet Banana peppers. And spicy Pickled Jalapeño peppers. The sweet peppers are just for Salads. The Jalapeño peppers are made into a relish with Pickled baby onions and fresh corn. On a burger with muenster cheese, just amazing. He also makes spicy Coleslaw with the relish.