Quantcast

Ghetto Tubeless rim list

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'm going to try the ghetto tubeless. I don't have my race wheels picked out yet. Are there any rims that this won't work with?

Specifically:
Tioga DH rims (I'm thinking these will be hard cause they are a bitch to get tires on even without a BMX tube folded over the bead)
Mavic 729
Singletracks
RynoLites

If I overlooked any other good light race rims let me know.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
TheMontashu said:
Try the new mavix X321s there lighter and stronger than ryino lites
x321 = 570g
Rhynolite = 550g

That's just me being a punk. I didn't realize how cheap those new x321s are. At $40 a pop, they're cheaper than the Rhynos too.
Thanks for the suggestion.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
buildyourown said:
x321 = 570g
Rhynolite = 550g

That's just me being a punk. I didn't realize how cheap those new x321s are. At $40 a pop, they're cheaper than the Rhynos too.
Thanks for the suggestion.
hmm the guy at the LBS insisted the 321s are lighter
I have one on my hardtail and love it

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I am using 729's with maxxis rim strips for my tubeless setup. works good and the rim is strong, 675g

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
i am getting REALLY tired waiting on the new Mavic 823's. Im about ready to order something else.

im ready to buy the ex721 (D521) at 590g and run it ghetto tubeless unless there is a reason i should order the ex729 (the new D321) instead.

the 721 is narrower i think but does it do ok tubless with like a 2.8 michelin or minion?

thanks

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Scurry said:
so does the cutting the tube in half thing work? I take it you need tubeless tires also, correct?
I don't know yet. People seem to be having good results with it. Do a search for ghetto tubeless. There is also a how-to on NSMB.

I never went tubeless before cause I change my tires a lot. Whistler kills tires and I want to race on fresh ones. This year I am building 2 sets of wheels so I can try tubeless.

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
Don't call it a come back
buildyourown said:
I don't know yet. People seem to be having good results with it. Do a search for ghetto tubeless. There is also a how-to on NSMB.

I never went tubeless before cause I change my tires a lot. Whistler kills tires and I want to race on fresh ones. This year I am building 2 sets of wheels so I can try tubeless.
For racing , the confidence that the Stans rim strip gives over a ghetto setup it's a no brainer. At max speed a shortcut that could lead to failure is not worth it. The rim strip will adhere and press the tire bead to the rim lip better. GLTY

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Jimmy_Pop said:
i am getting REALLY tired waiting on the new Mavic 823's. Im about ready to order something else.
My LBS just called Mavic a hour ago and ordered me a pair. They were in stock and I should have them middle of next week.