Quantcast

Getting back on the horse?

Uphiller

Chimp
Jul 24, 2002
From my name, you can tell my favorite thing to do is ride up hill. Going down hill is where I run into difficulty. I was getting pretty good at coming back down and I was finally staying in contact with my downhill friends when I took a nasty spill and tore myself up pretty good. After the bones healed, and I built back up (took two years through PT and rehab) it took me a while to get almost back to where I was. As soon as I was able to hang back on, I wiped again, fracturing my collar bone and breaking another helmet. I'm now back at it and I'm just about able to hang on to the group, but I'm scared as **** to push it. I still have two herniated discs that are inoperable, but manageable, and I don't want anothe trip to the ER.
I know, stop whining and just do it :nopity:. That's what I tell myself, but I'm skittish. How do you guys get over it and any good site recommendations for improving my cornering skills (where I always lose it)?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Honestly? Don't worry about it. Just go as fast as you're comfortable going. Speed comes with experience... and experience really can't be rushed without risking injury... Like you, I've BTDT... after awhile, you reach a plateau where pushing to go faster increases the risk exponentially. Due to background and overall natural ability, that plateau will vary from one person to another.

I'll admit I have always been a pretty good technical rider (80's BMX rider) and reached a pretty comfortable level (Expert Class DH) at descending. However, I have lingering injuries from that time and a few years ago quit racing DH and backed off quite a from at free-riding as well. Simply put: I got tired of being hurt. Some are willing to deal with that. I was not. I ride the road mostly now and only recently have been trying to get back into XC riding, although I usually make a trip to Diablo once a year or so and brush the rust off my DH skills (which surprisingly enough, comes back to me pretty easily).

If you have access to a lift served riding area, it may help to practice there. A full-face helmet and armor can do a lot with helping you to relax, look ahead and flow - which are really the root skills to descending.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
The thing that helped me the most when i was coming back from an injury and questioning my sanity was to get out to a dh race and see all the other people who were dealing with the same risks. It also helps to find a few people who are actually around your speed so you don't feel like you have to kill yourself to keep up.

As for cornering technique, the basics are simple but it takes years (decades?) of practice to really master. Looking ahead and staying loose are key as mentioned, but you also need to get off the brakes, shift your weight forward over the bars with your elbows up, drop the outside foot, lean the bike, and point your hips in the direction you want to go.

Easy right?

Maybe get a video of yourself flailing through some corners and we can critique your style.

Uphiller

Chimp
Jul 24, 2002
Thanks guys! I'm finding the 'get off the brakes' to be especially helpful. I carried a lot more speed the other night by laying off the brakes and whereas before I'd get thrown off-line and then over-correct and wipe, my momentum carried me over the obstacles, I maintained my line better, and I made it through without wiping - although my heart-rate went up a few notches. That was too cool!! :banana::banana:

M.O.A.B.

Chimp
Mar 17, 2002
SoCal
If you get a chance try one of the skills classes. I'd been riding for years and it seemed that every tgime I got to where I wanted to be with my descending it would be a short period of time till I'd biff big time. I went to a skills class and after they watched me ride they pointed out some of the things I was doing wrong. It helped a lot.

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Uphiller I have a similar back injury as you and just go into DH. I have the luxury to ride Northstar 3-4 times week so I have a pretty good place to practice my skillz. But like it has been stated it takes time to get good. I have been riding moto for a long time... Old moto video.... http://www.proworkz.com/7th.wmv . But when I jumped on a mountain bike I really did not feel comfortable. Bike was to light, cramped cock pit, blah, blah, blah.... So I started thinking about my moto skillz. I had to make my self relax. Especially in corners. I would also ride the brakes on my DH bike into corners. Once I relaxed and eased off the brakes I would FLOW so much better. Just think about being fluid when you ride. So please pad up and just relax. Speed will come. But for now work on your FLOW.....!!!!

lampy29

Chimp
Oct 16, 2008
Rochester
Check out the muddy chain. It's a site devoted entirely to beginners and those who want to improve their skills or understand how a mountain bike works. We've got a section that deals with downhill. Mostly though, its just letting loose and getting into the zone.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
1. Don't panic.
2. Commit to the line 100% Hesitation is the pain factory and your mantra needs to be "phuq it"
3. Look where you want to go and you will go there....the opposite is true too.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
try leaning the bike more than your body. Push your hips toward the outside of the turn. And lay off the front brake when you get into the turn.

watch this link and pay attention to how they push their hips toward the outside of the turns and lean the bike more than their bodies.

remember to brake before the turn. And also remember that your front brake is going to fight you when you want to turn. Also, lower your seat a bit. Practice drills in front of your house. Push your inside arm down more to lean the bike, keep your outside pedal down, and twist your hips toward the outside of the turn.

http://www.freecaster.com/1000006_1004819

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
Actually a good idea is to find a flat rock garden and pedaling up to it real hard and going through it while picking lines so you learn how to commit to them. Then find a hill that has a turn at the bottom with a little bit of rocks on it and keep doing that untill you get the feel. Then you can take it to the slopes. Remember you must be extremely comfortable on your bike. If your not then you will never progress.