Quantcast

Gee's Worlds Bike.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
With the sh*t they are doing to make these bikes lighter and faster, I wouldn't be surprised if half of them fell apart. Bladed Spokes?! WTF?
hardly a new idea. Peaty ran bladed spokes at least as far back as '02. the only place these bikes will fall apart is on internet forums

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Good looking bike - looks like a Vertical in the front. That was a favorite tire of mine for XC before I joined the dark side. Are their tires UST?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Good looking bike - looks like a Vertical in the front. That was a favorite tire of mine for XC before I joined the dark side. Are their tires UST?
i'll be shocked if he rides anything other than high-rollers come race day. Probably those tires and the definitely the Shimano pedals (sorry to ruin the e-spec on running flats)) are only on there for the photo. He races on Crank Bros clipless but runs full shimano for anything official

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
i'll be shocked if he rides anything other than high-rollers come race day. Probably those tires and the definitely the Shimano pedals (sorry to ruin the e-spec on running flats)) are only on there for the photo. He races on Crank Bros clipless but runs full shimano for anything official
someone is getting sick of the forum nonsense huh? lol tell it how it is lee. i feel your pain. but you gotta remember theres lots of new comers to the game but everyone has to learn at some point.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
It looks like air shocks are going to be the future, this proto-type has lock out and gee says it performs on par with the coil. The worlds course has a flat pedal section having a locked out dh bike has to be an advantage on that part of the course.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
That was a long time ago, air shocks a performing much better now. Like it or not air shocks are going to have a place in dh racing. There is no getting around air shocks are a pound lighter and for one dh race run the performance differences between coil and air shocks are have narrowed.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
That was a long time ago, air shocks a performing much better now. Like it or not air shocks are going to have a place in dh racing. There is no getting around air shocks are a pound lighter and for one dh race run the performance differences between coil and air shocks are have narrowed.
Ride some air shocks and comment after that. Here it's good because the course is really flat but that can looks pretty small so on real tracks it would overheat, you could go with bigger can but then you'd get more typical air feel that kills it for many people. Apparently there are some nicer air shocks on the horizon but I won't belive until i try them.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I dont think so. I remember this happening in DH races when Missy was on global and it never really went anywhere.
Yeah. I remember when Tomac was running disc wheels and drop bars...

But then again, that could make a come back...

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Ride some air shocks and comment after that. Here it's good because the course is really flat but that can looks pretty small so on real tracks it would overheat, you could go with bigger can but then you'd get more typical air feel that kills it for many people. Apparently there are some nicer air shocks on the horizon but I won't belive until i try them.
I agree, Canberra isn't long or steep, so air shocks should be fine. IMO bit different to a Eu style course.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
i would suspect that the only time the lockout would be activated is that last sprint to the finish...

i'm sure some of you CA monkeys wished you had a lockout on that wall sprint in Fontana. ;)
Seriously. The lockout is by far the most interesting thing on that bike. Seen plenty of air shocks but this is the first DH race bike I have ever seen with a lockout lever.

On a course with a brutal pedal section I could see this making a real difference.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Seriously. The lockout is by far the most interesting thing on that bike. Seen plenty of air shocks but this is the first DH race bike I have ever seen with a lockout lever.

On a course with a brutal pedal section I could see this making a real difference.
See spomer's post... IZ NO LOCK OUT! ;)

Also, another shot of the Saint wheels.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
See spomer's post... IZ NO LOCK OUT! ;)

Also, another shot of the Saint wheels.
Good point.

Never seen a "firm up" lever on a DH bike either.

Still, it's gonna be interesting to see if the performance hit of an air shock is gonna be offset by the obvious advantage in the pedal section (same dilemma with all the short travel rigs).

Wonder if Gee is gonna get flak for needing a "firm up" lever? Doesn't sound too good.

P.S. Sam's SX is UGLY!

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Good point.

Never seen a "firm up" lever on a DH bike either.
You have to go a ways back to see lock out levers on DH shocks, like mid-late 90s. I may still have my Vanilla RC w/lockout in my shop...

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006

gregs honda had a battery powered lockout button too

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Will Sam be running Specialized rubber in the finals?
Hasnt he been running Specialized rubber for most of the season? I remember in South Africa he had some sharpied out Maxxis tires but for some reason i thought since then he was on the Specialized rubber and loving it. I could be wrong though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i'm not much of a fanboy but :drool: to his pSeudoX trail. That thing is low, slack, long, and what specialized should turn their demo into. Love it.

I like the idea of a firm up lever on the commencal. Not sure a lockout is usable, but firming up the suspension quite a bit in different sections has a very large potential advantage.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
All great info but as indicated by my question mark I was trying to find out if their DH tires are UST (saw nothing on the site).

He did mention that he would run some of their tires on Vitalmag but who knows. As I said they do make some good XC tires so they are now without skills.