Quantcast

GeekHouse Bikes

protijy

Chimp
Oct 25, 2001
San Diego
after breakin all kinds of MTB stuff Dj's and wanting to run BMX hardware a partner and I came up with this

Material:
Reynolds/True Temper Butted front triangle
4130 7/8ths chromo rear triangle

Features:
6.3lbs frame
14mm 1/4" drops
110mm BMX hub spacing
V-brake w/ 26"

Geometry:
Top tube 21.5"
head angle 69 Deg (with 100mm fork)
head tube 100mm
seat tube 13.5
BB 300mm
Chain stay 16.25"-16.5"

retail $650 frame only takin orders now.

http://www.geekhousebikes.com

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
That is a gorgeous bike! So very clean. Good luck with it!
I love the choice of materials - Very sensible, and the angles look about spot on too.

Good luck, I hope you have a lot of sales.

Right, here comes the inevitable: Changes I would make:

1) All the rear end options, Options for Disc mounts, MTB hub spacing, Deraillier hanger or not...

2) Option for ISCG mounts

3) A little, tiny, bit of gusseting around the head tube area. Just to make me feel better. Did you see the gussets S+M used to put on Dirtbikes? Something like that. I'm sure your welding is great.. It's just psycho-logical. Nearly every bike has it these days, so even if yours doesn't strictly need it, it looks weird to me now. I've been poisoned by the industry.

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
It's basically a DMR Rhythm or a Revell 250 if it was a 24" version. I'm not sure about the 69 dg HT though, wouldn't a 70 or 71 handle alitte quicker? more like a bmx? I like it though. Actually looks almost like my DMR except for the color. rear hub spacing?

Originally posted by Mudpuppy
How about making a 24" version? It's just what I want except for the wheel size.

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by Echo
Maybe you could buy some advertizing on Ridemonkey instead of spamming all the forums ;)
alittle too much DMR talk? Sorry. i wouldn't call it spamming. i like my bike and think other people would like it too. is that a problem? Jeez.

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
duh, i just realized that probably wasn't aimed at me. am i defensive or what?
i guess they are using the "grassroots" method.

E

endtroducing

Originally posted by Changleen
Changes I would make:

1) All the rear end options, Options for Disc mounts, MTB hub spacing, Deraillier hanger or not...

2) Option for ISCG mounts

3) A little, tiny, bit of gusseting around the head tube area.
Heh, i'm in no way involved with their bikes but i keep finding myself in a position to chime in. in response:

1. Multiple rear end options would defeat cost effectivity and simplicity. Besides, the original inspiration for the frame was the ability to run cheaper, more durable bmx parts on a 26" frame. that said, a disc version is in the works.
2. why waste metal/money on a bike w/o a der. hanger? For the those wanting to run a 3-speed set up, e13 guides seem to work on imperials just fine, sans guide mounts.
3. why ruin such a painfully beautiful and clean look with aesthetic gusseting

I'm not sure about the 69 dg HT though, wouldn't a 70 or 71 handle alitte quicker? more like a bmx?
I thought this was pretty slack at first myself too, but with this bike's intended purpose, an 80mm or rigid fork would be commonplace, ramping the HA up to 70 or 71 degrees, which will not bmx fast, is pretty quick.

It's basically a DMR Rhythm or a Revell 250 if it was a 24" version. rear hub spacing?
Actually its a good bit different from your DMR, in that it has (26" wheels as you said,) horizontal dropouts with a 110mm spacing and a euro bb shell.

E

endtroducing

Originally posted by Echo
Maybe you could buy some advertizing on Ridemonkey instead of spamming all the forums ;)
hopefully they'll start selling t-shirts and maybe even bikes so they can afford to soon! :D

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Originally posted by endtroducing
Heh, i'm in no way involved with their bikes but i keep finding myself in a position to chime in. in response:

1. Multiple rear end options would defeat cost effectivity and simplicity. Besides, the original inspiration for the frame was the ability to run cheaper, more durable bmx parts on a 26" frame. that said, a disc version is in the works.
2. why waste metal/money on a bike w/o a der. hanger? For the those wanting to run a 3-speed set up, e13 guides seem to work on imperials just fine, sans guide mounts.
3. why ruin such a painfully beautiful and clean look with aesthetic gusseting

1) I wasn't aware there was a BMX Hub with Disk drilling? If there is, then cool, but otherwise surely the spacing will have to be changed anyway?

2) Agreed.

3) Well, it wouldn't be JUST aesthetic... Have you seen the footage of the RedBull shipyard ride? BMXs NEED gussets these days...

E

endtroducing

1) I wasn't aware there was a BMX Hub with Disk drilling? If there is, then cool, but otherwise surely the spacing will have to be changed anyway?

2) Agreed.

3) Well, it wouldn't be JUST aesthetic... Have you seen the footage of the RedBull shipyard ride? BMXs NEED gussets these days...
1. Profile will make 110 disc hubs for oe applications i believe.

3. You might be right, but gusseting can also just be a quick fix for sub-par engineering. Both the Endless, and the forth-coming Sovereign appear to be gussetless with no apparent strength reduction.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Ah, but the Endless uses ovalised tubing at the headtube to give the extra weld area.

(BTW the Endless is Sweeet!!)

I'm sure it's fine and strong without gussets, that's not really what I'm saying (although it would be stronger with well-designed gussets) - the point I was trying to make is that a lot of people will probably feel (righty or wrongly) that a bike without gussets is 'not strong enough' or behind the times, as nearly every bike these days has them, even pieces of crap from Target.

I totally support these small bike companies, I'd much rather have a selection of unique, rider designed and built frames to choose from than just Kona, Giant, S, etc and I just think this bike would sell more if it had Gussets. Hopefully they'd be functional too!

C.

E

endtroducing

Ah, but the Endless uses ovalised tubing at the headtube to give the extra weld area.

(BTW the Endless is Sweeet!!)

I totally support these small bike companies, I'd much rather have a selection of unique, rider designed and built frames to choose from than just Kona, Giant, S, etc and I just think this bike would sell more if it had Gussets. Hopefully they'd be functional too!

C.
no argument here :)

protijy

Chimp
Oct 25, 2001
San Diego
First thanks guys for all the support!

endtroducing: your so on! the frame is kinda like a few frames out there but me and marty just kept bumping into the same problem, nobody makes a 26" BMX style frame we liked....

things in the works, a very inivative disk mounting system for horiz. drops, and a 3speed version via the profile spd BMX hub :)

we are selling T's brown with blue logos on sleeve and front.
if you'd like to purchase one conect me at

scott@geekhousebikes.com

they are $17 shipped
we can take cash, Money order, and paypal.

the gusset issue
The proto has been beat and kicked! I wouldn't recomend a 6" single crown fork but its plenty strong! these are manufactured in the USA by a well know BMX manufactureer, they are totally quality.

small note its a BMX seat post tube to run cheaper seat posts also :)

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Yeah I agree on the bmx b.b., i'd like to see that too. Wondering if a 24" wheel version would ever be considered? Are they made by Gack? I recently saw a 26" bmx frame they made and it looks similar, exact same color I think. Well it looks good and I really like the direction you are going.

protijy

Chimp
Oct 25, 2001
San Diego
we believe the euro BB gives you more crank options. BMX seems to be moving this way also.

although I can't say who makes them its def a company that is more know then gack. Althought the gack frame does have some nice features. And it has a clear coated steel paint job, I dig poo brown myself :)

SIC-mk4

Chimp
Dec 9, 2003
Mass-hole
Yo, just getting in on this now...I'm the other Geek half...A couple of comments:

1.) The front end runs butted tubes, these don't require the same kind of butting as straight gauge.
2.) We're "spaming" all the forums because we just started and have no money
3.) There are no 14mm disc 110mm spaced hubs that I know about. The frame is built to run pegs on either side...a disc would kind of get in the way if you want to grind on the left side.
4.) We wanted to try to push the 26" end of this. There is alot available in 24", but there aren't as many 26" bikes set up specifically for street.

thats it for now...-Marty

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
BIGGER THAN GACK!!! is there such a thing? lol. Cool, I like poo brown too. Any pics of your bikes in action? Show us some footage!

SIC-mk4

Chimp
Dec 9, 2003
Mass-hole
We'll have some more pics of riding next week. Video will be in the works in the next few weeks. And yes poo-brown is the best. Thanks-Marty