Quantcast

Gearing Question

RastaRider

Chimp
Mar 27, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I'm building a townie from an old GF Aquilla and was wondering what SS gearing is good for street. I want a quick ride so I was thinking around 36:16 or so. Any thoughts?

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
I ride my cruiser 36x16 and find that to be a good street gear if you aren't interested in getting anywhere fast. It's fine for most uphills, and easy to spin out on the downhills. That's with slick 26 x 1.75 tires, by the way.

On a true road singlespeed or fixie (with much narrower, higher pressure tires) 42x16 to 48x16 is common.

[I should probably add that I just started out with 36x16 because it's what I had on hand. It isn't that expensive to change later if you change your mind...]

T-Blazer

Monkey
Jun 8, 2004
rochester,ny
Currently running a 32-14 for my urban-winter bike. Great for the flats and makes for good climbs. A cut up cassette will provide you with some options to check out, and is easy to swap your rear gear.

Victor

Dec 10, 2006
hey i am riding bmx and i was wondering if a 24 tooth chainwheel would work with a 14t freewheel??? if that wouldnt work can you guys please give me something around in the 20's for a chainwheel? and ill just get whatever free what size that would work recomended from you guys, Thanks greatly apreciated!