Quantcast

Gas grill recommendations under $300

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Like the title says folks, hit me with what ya got. The posts we've seen in the past all date back to 2010. If you feel I should spend more, I'm willing to budge a little on price. I'm looking for simple, stand-alone, and most concerned about quality/durability, and ease of replacement parts rather than features. I'm also open to DIY or scavenger set-ups, it doesn't have to be a hardware store buy. I basically just want a set of outdoor burners so that the wife stops complaining about me smoking up the house.

Thanks! :weee:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have a tough time dropping big coin on a BBQ. I have had wicked nice ones, I've had cheap ones, they all seem to fall apart at nearly the same rate. This year I am spending no more than $150 and if it lasts 2 years, I'll be happy.

My last big money grill was nearly $500 with a cover and all sorts of stuff. The second year I had it, I spent $120 replacing parts that had died in the "off season". Never again.

/cheapbastardrant

<edit> I had little luck finding any replacement parts after the second year as a lot of companies change stuff just to be a dick about it. :shakefist:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
whatever is on sale at home depot.

i can check what brand i have at home, but it's been going solid for at least 5 years. cosmetically its far from perfect, but i could have taken better care of it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if you want good and cheap, find a 55 gal barren. sawzall it in half, weld some legs on. weld two racks on the interior to hold a griddle, then hinge the halves together and drill for ventialtion.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If you buy like 10 or 15 gallons of outdoor paint from Ace Hardware. They will give you a built grill. Seemed like a cool grill....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Our $89 bargain grill from Home Depot just got replaced last year.
It worked well for 6 years, even the ignitor.

It turned to dust and blew away, so we got another very similar one, but with fancy BBQ implement hanging hooks added!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If it doesn't have an integrated bottle opener, don't get it.
The other important thing here is to be sure it is kid proof. Firstly turn the gas on. Wait a minute. Press the ignitor. How big is the fireball? The bigger the better if your neighbors kids come into your yard often. Secondly when it explodes does the lid fly towards you or away. You want away. Thirdly, do you have Vinyl siding? If you do make sure your wife or significant other is involved in the placement process of said grill, so that you can blame them later on for melting the vinyl siding. Get one with a side burner in case the economy tanks you can always make meth outside then. Your welcome.....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
There is a shiny 4 burner grill from Charbroil that me Depot carries and rarely ever puts on sale that is their lowest price model that has actual cast iron grates. From everything I read, the cast iron retains heat better for even cooking. I got it, but the one thing I don't like is it DEFINITELY requires pre-heating it to cook good.

If not, you spend the first 10 minutes of cooking just having it warm the interior. Cooks VERY even though. Downside is that you can't just fire it up and sizzle something

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There is a shiny 4 burner grill from Charbroil that me Depot carries and rarely ever puts on sale that is their lowest price model that has actual cast iron grates. From everything I read, the cast iron retains heat better for even cooking. I got it, but the one thing I don't like is it DEFINITELY requires pre-heating it to cook good.

If not, you spend the first 10 minutes of cooking just having it warm the interior. Cooks VERY even though. Downside is that you can't just fire it up and sizzle something
This is one requirement I have for this years grill. It does take time to bring up to temp, but the results are the best. My buddy has one with them and it is awesome.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Here's mine.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-4-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-463211513/202525429?N=5yc1vZbxazZch

I read tons of review...tons. Way too many actually and only learned one key thing about grills.

The guys who really know how to grill can work magic on just about any of them. I went with the 4 burner on the off random chance I wanted to grill chicken on one side and corn on the cob or some other slow cook stuff on the other.

Doubt I'll ever invite a large group over to use the whole thin in a grand fashion. We hate people tracking mud on the carpet. :D

Last edited:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
if you want good and cheap, find a 55 gal barren. sawzall it in half, weld some legs on. weld two racks on the interior to hold a griddle, then hinge the halves together and drill for ventialtion.
don't forget to burn big ass fire in it to clean out all the ammonia or whatever crazy **** was in before you 'up-cycled' it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
$25, picked it up on the way home from work. It fit in the car (limited cargo in the Vette) AND I can take it on the boat. :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
only 1 tank? :stosh: i have four 20lb propane tanks between the amount of grilling i do and the burner i have for homebrewing
I left one tank (had 2) when I left the ex. Seems silly having a tank at all without something to run it on at the moment except my tiny grill. :rofl:

Now if I had that deep fryer I've been asking for...

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
So I scored this little guy for $100 off because there was a scratch on the lid. Little bit of touch-up black enamel, buffed it, and you can't even see it anymore. So far I have had it for two days, its cooked two dinners and one breakfast (family of 4) and I love it. All the guts are completely stainless, all the racks are cast iron, and it even comes with a skillet. Lovin it so far and would highly recommend.

Weber Spirit E210

Thanks for the advice all! :thumb:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
$100? We hate you. Good job.
"$100 off"... was still a $300 grill. but hopefully should last awhile if i take care of it. and yes, I am still very stoked on my purchase. Breakfast #2 of fried eggs on toast this morning was amazing. i'm going to see how long i can go before cooking another meal inside of the house.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nice work. I had an interesting talk with my neighbor who works at the Sears Home Store about grills. He confirmed that grills in general were planned obsolescence. Most grills after a few years fall apart and the models are either discontinued or the parts are outrageous to encourage a new grill purchase rather than fixing the old one. Bastards.

HotWhiskey

Chimp
Nov 13, 2013
Nice work. I had an interesting talk with my neighbor who works at the Sears Home Store about marriage. He confirmed that marriages in general were planned obsolescence. Most marriages after a few years fall apart and the models are either discontinued or the parts are outrageous to encourage a new vagina purchase rather than fixing the old one. Bastards.
Fixed