Quantcast

gas at $20/gallon

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Huge headaches = destroyed economy
I don't think shifting away from oil will destroy our economy, we may experience a decade of no growth (think Japan). The big problem I see, and I know people like this, is that people think there is enough oil for business to continue as usual and that OPEC is just trying to screw us all. If we hold to beliefs like that the shift will be slow and long. I had a guy I know tell me that the reason gas prices were coming down was because Bush had a done some backhanded dealing with the Saudis....my mouth dropped open and I didn't even know what to say. This guy and I took Econ together, apparently he still doesn't understand the concept of demand

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Gas shortages are afflicting drivers across the Southeast. Some of the problems were caused by Hurricane Ike affecting oil production and refining along the Gulf Coast, but empty gas pumps also are being blamed on the consumers themselves.

CNN affiliates are reporting on the effects of the shortages that have caused many gas stations to shut down and many drivers to become frustrated.

Asheville, North Carolina
City officials in Asheville have closed the civic center, parks and offices because of the gas shortage, CNN affiliate WHNS-TV reports.

Police also are monitoring stations that do have gas after reports of fights at pumps between drivers accusing each other of cutting in line.

"It's been a nightmare for everybody," one driver, who found gas Thursday, told the station. Read WHNS report on how the shortage is affecting North Carolina

Athens, Georgia
A petroleum executive suggested that the football game between the University of Georgia and University of Alabama should be canceled this weekend because fans could drain all the gas in the Athens area, WSB-TV in Atlanta reported.

"That gas needs to be used for people to go to work, and for people to take care of their families," Tex Pitfield, president and CEO of Saraguay Petroleum in Atlanta, told WGAU radio in Athens.

But representatives of Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue said he would not consider "a ridiculous idea like this," WSB said.

Atlanta, Georgia
Ray Sheffied's gas station had been open 24 hours a day, seven days a week for 13 years. But the streak ended when a lack of supply forced him to close early, WGCL-TV in Atlanta said.

"It's a panic," Sheffield said. "And we are frustrated."

The fuel shortage is really hurting independent gas station owners, WGCL said. Many of those small businesses rely on the income from customers stopping in to buy snacks, drinks and other items with their gas, it added. Read WGCL on how gas stations are hurting around the Southeast

Charlotte, North Carolina
Drivers camped out overnight in the hope that a shipment of gas would arrive at a station in Charlotte, WSOC-TV found.

Other drivers felt trapped at home, fearing that their gas tanks would run dry on the way to or from work.

"This is it; I'm stuck," Shana Roseborough told the station. "I can't go get my child, I can't go get my husband, I can't provide for my family." :nopity:

Raleigh, North Carolina
North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley promised that more gas was on the way from other states, but WXII-TV found many stations dry or with only one or two grades of fuel left.

Easley had asked drivers to conserve fuel until the new supplies arrived and the situation returned to normal, but some consumers remain concerned.

"No gas. What will we do? We won't be able to do anything. We can't go to work. We can't do anything," one driver said. :bonk:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Haha! Way too much rep to spread in one thread!

The last few posts made me laugh out loud!
Sadly, it doesn't surprise me...I know many people who would be completely helpless without their cars...as if other forms of transportation don't exist...

MMMM...$15 Cheetos...:homer:

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
part of today's market meltdowns was:

"the second-largest percentage drop in crude oil since April 2003"

and given that the dollar only increase in value by a few percentage points and the oil price fell by almost 10% you've got an interesting divergence happening.

i'm no market maven, but it looks like people stampeded into 10 year treasury notes and gold (traditional safe havens) and abandoned everything else to the tune of 5-10% declines on the major indexes.

there was no data that I could find on Cheetos futures. i would appreciate any pointers you all may have as I'd like to go long on Cheetos at $12/bag and higher.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
As a business person supporting the energy, medical, institutional research, electronics and general manufacturing industries (among others) I am a bit torn by this situation. I generally travel 100k + miles in a year. Without our (and our competitors) sales, service engineering staff being able to travel, the industries that we support would not be able to provide products for the general public -that's us FYI. Without these products, in turn, we, the general public, would not be having this conversation -for any number of reasons.

Think about what you are wishing away before you do so. Do you really think that without a global economy the semi-conductor industry would be what it is? Are you really ready to give up all of the advantages that the semiconductor industry brings to your daily life? How about medicine and pharmaceuticals? As much as we all like to attack these industries, are you ready to forgo hypertension meds, stents, contacts as you age? How about emergency medical help for your children or your loved ones?

Relatively easy availability of nearly all consumer products and services that we know today are unextractably dependent upon long distance transportation -be it inter and intra continental, interstate or across town in less than 6 hours. Life without this level of transportation capability will be vastly different.

Are you ready for that?

I am.

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
when are teleporters coming out? I'm sick of driving

<edit> NM, I found my solution here.....and its only $350!!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i roof buildings that help all you braniac people decide how to get out from this mess. Most of the products i use are oil based and my job site fluctuates from being 10 to over 50 miles away.

price me out of work fine i'll go ride my bikey, but don't cry to me when your roof leaks and you gots the black mold.

Service jorbs are basic necessities. Thinks around the issues, while formulating plans on progressive fuel idears.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
Service jorbs are basic necessities. Thinks around the issues, while formulating plans on progressive fuel idears.
i gonna go round me up some fat people and liposuction them lardasses. then i'm gonna make biodiesel from their fat.

and they're gonna pay me to make them skinny. so that means i get paid money to harvest the "oil" from the fat.

if you want to own the local franchise of this profit making idea please PM me and I'll send along the paperwork.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
i gonna go round me up some fat people and liposuction them lardasses. then i'm gonna make biodiesel from their fat.

and they're gonna pay me to make them skinny. so that means i get paid money to harvest the "oil" from the fat.

if you want to own the local franchise of this profit making idea please PM me and I'll send along the paperwork.
Teh Kiwis beat yah:busted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-503419/Eco-boat-powered-human-fat-attempts-round-world-speed-record.html

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Biodiesel FTMFW!! :D

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007

Is the cost of the franchise based on the availability of the "resource" in your area?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/30/us/30gas.html?em

In Douglas County, Ga., the police issued a request for motorists to stop calling 911 for help finding open gas stations. A county spokeswoman said the calls could interfere with the ability to handle emergencies.

In Atlanta, where sprawl forces lengthy commutes, drivers shook their heads in disbelief over around-the-block lines at stations, $4-per-gallon prices and the prospect of two more weeks of problems.

&#8220;At first I was a good sport, but this is getting ridiculous,&#8221; said Marsha Lewis, 43, an administrative assistant who lives in Dacula, Ga., and commutes to Atlanta. &#8220;I drive an hour to work every day, and looking for gasoline has become my entire life.&#8221;
:facepalm: