Quantcast

G-outs: How to set up your shock?

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
My local trail has this g-out that has a steep entrance and really throws you up and out of it with speed. I almost crashed today because the rear really pushed me up and bucked me forward as I reached the top of g-out. I really don't remember having this problem with my other bike or my old shock.

I have a new shock on the bike (Vivid), and perhaps the recommended settings didn't do the job (could be my technique as well :) ). Vivid has LS compression, LS rebound (beginning rebound), and HS rebound (ending rebound).

Not sure which settings to change. Firmer LS compression and/or slower LS rebound? Or since I am close to bottoming out, slow down HS rebound?

Second question is does it make sense to change your settings for g-outs, when it is just a small part of overall riding?

Thanks in advance.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
if you're getting bucked, I would slow down the HSR. G outs are really hard to set your bike up for compression wise, but I would try adding a little LSC! How's the jedi treating you? are you heading up to N* at any point? I'm heading back from NY tomorrow so we should hit up N* at some point this year!

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Thanks Will. Will slow down HSR. My wrist is healed, but with limited flexibility and 30% strength. My mountain biking skills have eroded as well. Hopefully by September, I will be in good enough shape to hit N*star/Mammoth (at least the easy ways down).