Quantcast

Furniture and you

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I've been shopping for a leather sectional and just discovered how farking expensive furniture is. I told a lady at Ethan Allen my budget and she stuck her nose up and said, "Oh, you won't find anything for that price here." beeeeyotch.

A lot of furniture places around town are shutting down so there are deals galore. I was able to find what I needed for around $1500.

Do you own any shoddy furniture? Got anything expensive?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I bought a leather couch when I finished university to appoint my swinging bachelor pad. I think it cost me around $1400 bones. Still love it. It will make fine basement furniture one day...

The lady and I have been jonesing for a sectional for a while now. We just need a room big enough to accomodate.

Heh...sectional.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The only furniture I have ever purchased was a bed, dresser and coffee table. Second hand hand me downs fill the rest of the house.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Ikea furniture is pretty much a one time use deal. Have you ever tried to transport one of their particle board cabinets? You'll have a trail of crumbs from your old place to new.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
supposedly, it is damn good, but i wouldn't know. i'm a confirmed bachelor so i just have to worry about spilled booze and bio-hazards. so far so good :thumb:

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
supposedly, it is damn good, but i wouldn't know. i'm a confirmed bachelor so i just have to worry about spilled booze and bio-hazards. so far so good :thumb:
Exactly, I'm a confirmed father so I just have to worry about spilled booze and bio-hazards.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
The wife and I treated ourselves to a new custom sectional from Restoration Hardware for the new house using part of this year's tax refund. It was worth every penny. For the rest of the house I've been trying to mix mid-century modern pieces with more unique Asian antiques.

I never thought I see the day. Mid century modern furniture consumes my thought's. You think building DH bikes is pricey, try looking at Original Hans J. Wegner papa bear chair's. Wegner, Ray and Charles Eames, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Eileen Grey are all my design hero's. My friend bill has and sell's beautiful original mid-century modern furniture.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I never thought I see the day. Mid century modern furniture consumes my thought's. You think building DH bikes is pricey, try looking at Original Hans J. Wegner papa bear chair's. Wegner, Ray and Charles Eames, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Eileen Grey are all my design hero's. My friend bill has and sell's beautiful original mid-century modern furniture.
Sounds like we are talking the same language. I love mid century modern furniture and have made some good purchaces this year including a Florence Knoll diner table and a Poltrona Frau Kenedee sofa. Already have the iconic Eames lounge chair and ottoman of course which I can only recommend it looks great and is super comfortable.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
the fun starts with kitchens!

a medium priced Bulthaupt kitchen for our new house will set us back ca. 20.000,- €....
but as it's (hopefully) the only house i'll build in my lifetime, i'll go for it. take a look, it's fantastic stuff.

http://tinyurl.com/5msanr

my mum promised to donated a Le Corbusier sofa, i can hardly wait to eat my first pizza on it watching barca winning the champions League ....

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Our sofa is completely dead. It has been for a while. it was my wife's and she bought it in 1993. It's been moved at LEAST a dozen times. It serves are the girls' trampoline from time to time. We were waiting until the house sold to buy another one. (ensure it would fit with the new place)....but we may not be able to wait any longer. The cushion covers are thread-bare. It's not worth re-upholstering.

And like I said, we don't want to get something new yet until we move.....

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
We had a buddy weld us up a sectional. Then we had another friend do the cushions who owns an upholstery shop in leather. We swung it so the couch suspends the cushions, and they velcro to the strap so they don't slide.

The cool thing is that change just hits the floor, so you just clean under.
Down side is that the frame weighs around 900lbs of 4" square tube. But it breaks down to its elements, so you take it apart and move it.

Guy did my bed and my side tables too. Going to do a coffee table at his place next weekend when I get some more metal. I think I'll also do a guest bed before I move back to WA>

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Used it to match the bed we had built.

I take it back, I think its 2x2 as I sit here on it.

It matches the bed, side tables and coffee table I am working on.

I like steel, scares landlords and new friends alike. Might be the D ring tie down points we've put on everything, but its handy.

Reminds me, I need to build an A frame for over the bed.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Used it to match the bed we had built.

I take it back, I think its 2x2 as I sit here on it.

It matches the bed, side tables and coffee table I am working on.

I like steel, scares landlords and new friends alike. Might be the D ring tie down points we've put on everything, but its handy.

Reminds me, I need to build an A frame for over the bed.
Ah...that makes a little more sense.....I used to build heavy truck equipment out of 4x4......

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We bought our bedroom and living room sets at Raymour and Flaningan of all places. We went to a bunch of furniture stores and that place was the only one that had stuff we liked. HOORAY for no interest/no payments for two years! :D

I think the futon and matching chair in our basement cost more than the living room set. It's a real top quality wood frame futon set. It was the first furniture we bought after buying the house.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
When I went to buy new furniture for our new house 2 years ago, I had a nervous breakdown in the store about spending that much money. But, I got us a nice new set... which will last until I am 103. ;)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've a baby. How does microfiber handle food?
handles food good. My girlfriend has a microfiber couch, and we've spilled gatorade, wine, blood, chocolate, and maybe one or two other things so far. The cushions have not had to be washed, the couch came with two bottles of cleaning solution, one for organics, one for synthetics (or something like that). The couch still looks great, and it's a very light brown color, so stains would show up.

She made a great investment on that. I bought a desk from office max because I couldn't find one for my home that I liked....300 bucks and it's going to be a particle board paperweight if I try and move it...so I try to buy all my non-squishy stuff from craigslist, as wood is much less nasty, and good deals can be had, especially with furniture, since they don't want to move it.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Ditto to the microfiber being awesome. I paid to have ours scotch-guarded or whatever when I bought it... very easy to clean - just water most of the time. I too dumped red wine all over a chair and it came right out. :weee:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I think I am going to be ordering some stuff from you. Nice looking stuff, and those are the same tubes that I've used on all of my other furniture.

Where you shipping from?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Wasn't knocking it. Was just curious is he's ever made anything with that specific purpose in mind. I wonder how into you have to be to get a custom made bed frame for that purpose.
We have a slightly nicer version of this bed:

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
that sh*t is off da chain. baah. I've never even seen anything like that or built anything related. I'm not in the "design" industry either. I dont go to trade shows. So my exposure is very limited. All my stuff is my own design and creation. Dwell is about the only magazine i read, when i have time.

I build all my stuff in Dallas, Tx.

I plan on building my own sofa's someday soon. then will have a tube frame and clean lined, rectangular leather seating surfaces.

On a different subject, I dig this chair. I did not build this:
http://mocoloco.com/archives/000422.php

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Make sure you haggle with the furniture stores and/or ask for free lamps, etc. It works at places like Copenhagen, but not Ikea and saved me a wad when I bought my leather furniture. I even showed up with cash (and flashed the wad) for what I was willing to pay, so they figured it out to the penny including tax. They wanted $2000 for the couch and loveseat and I had around $1425 and change and they went for it.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i know a custom car guy who went bondage furniture. i see him at all the LA events, since he supplies the gear for the stage shows.
http://downtownwilly.com
none of his bondage furniture is on the link.
another guy here in LA, named Sonny Black, has had some success with going to the bondage furniture world.
i always thought the stuff was way more expensive than it ought to be. for years, i've had a plan in the back of my head to find a cheaper way to make the stuff.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
the fun starts with kitchens!

a medium priced Bulthaupt kitchen for our new house will set us back ca. 20.000,- €....
but as it's (hopefully) the only house i'll build in my lifetime, i'll go for it. take a look, it's fantastic stuff.

http://tinyurl.com/5msanr

my mum promised to donated a Le Corbusier sofa, i can hardly wait to eat my first pizza on it watching barca winning the champions League ....
Wow, a real deal LC sofa? WTF?
Get a Barcelona chair to match.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just bought a new microfiber sectional in our choice of fabric, made here in the state with a lifetime warranty on the frame for $1100.

This is not the color we went with, though.