Quantcast

FSA Gravity Lite Cranks?

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
I am in the market for a new set of cranks for my BottleRocket. I do a lot of trail riding with this bike but will also be hammering it at Whistler and various local shuttles/dj spots. I will be running 2 rings and an E13 DRS guide. I weigh about 180lbs and am not the smoothest rider out there.

Any experience with the Gravity lites? They are in my price range and I have had good experiences so far with FSA cranks. Thanks.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
I got the GAPs and love the stiffness. No mater which of the FSA line you go with get one with an external BB.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i looked at the gravity lights. they looked good.

fsa makes an outboard isis bb, but it is heavy. they make a lighter one, but it is expensive. you also have the issue of them being 68mm with the BR being 73.

also consider the hones.

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
Bullit21...I have a better idea...How about you sell the bottle-scooter to mandown, and buy a Marin XLT.... and then continue to ride circles around him while he tries to figure out why his bike weighs so dang much... :clapping:

you love it!

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
But back to your actual question. You should stick with Saints. They are the shizzle as well!

is this monkey taking a poo??? :monkeydance:

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
something stronger than the gravity lights would be good, they are too light for most dhers. fsa is coming out with a crank between the gravity light and gap. I think due out later this yr.

the F.H.B

Monkey
Jun 2, 2006
Syd, Australia
I've been using Gravity lights for about 5 months now in very rocky terrain (Australia) and cant speak highly enough of them. I weigh close to 200lbs kitted up and use them on a 42lbs Astrix havoc, so they've copped a bit of a hiding and theres hardly a mark on them.

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
Gravity Light is not enough crank for you based on your description.

They are intended for AM riding, maybe FR if you weigh under 160lbs or so, or DH racing... The Gap or the Gravity would be a better bet. And yeah, the MegaExo BB is pretty nice. Should last quite a bit longer than the ISIS you would need with the Gravity Light.

There will be a Gravity Light MegaExo crankset available for 2008. Still a light weight crank, though.

MM

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia

They are intended for AM riding, maybe FR if you weigh under 160lbs or so, or DH racing... The Gap or the Gravity would be a better bet. And yeah, the MegaExo BB is pretty nice. Should last quite a bit longer than the ISIS you would need with the Gravity Light.

There will be a Gravity Light MegaExo crankset available for 2008. Still a light weight crank, though.

MM
Yep. I'd call it a racing crank.

Every pair that I am aware of bending has been the result of high speed hard pedal contact. It's doubtful that you would land a big drop and do anything to them. But that's the thing about all this weight business... how does the term go... "Cheap, light, strong. Pick two." You can't have everything - if you want light weight you have to be prepared to replace something if you damage it. I don't know of a single catastrophic failure (maybe it happens, but people know better than to ask for a warranty?).

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
hone w/ 2 ring and a bash.
Seriously, skip the gravity-lites and listen to this guy.

The hones are strong and damn light, i'd run nothing else on a heavy use bike that I wanted light cranks for. The only reason to go FSA is if you have an 83mm BB shell (in which case the lites or the new gaps are a good way to go) but enjoy the choice in cranks while you've still got a 73mm shell.

Weight comparisons by me here on saint/xt/hone:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2417500&postcount=23

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
What good is a crank that is due out in 08 if he is building the bike now????

MM

cederrowe

Monkey
Feb 18, 2006
portland, oregon
Just got my set of Gravity Lites from Jenson for $99 http://jensonusa.com/store/product/CR407Z00-Gravity+Lite+Crank+Arm+Set.aspx , Has anybody seen these cranks? These are a nice piece of work. One of the nicest cranks I have seen in a while. The center is replacable on the drive side witha BB tool. The pedal inserts a massive. And the weight of the arms is super light. One of the lightest cranks I have felt. We'll time to go punish them and see how they handle.

All this for $99! Deal of the century!

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I emailed FSA asking them the intended use of the Gravity Light cranks. Here is their response.

"You hit the nail on the head. This is a weight conscious persons DH/FR crank. This is the same crank that both Sam Hill and Sabrina Jonier raced on all last season, ending in double world championships. It is very light, but stiff enough and strong enough for DH. There is even a pedal insert in place to prevent damaged threads."

I responded asking how often Sam and Sabrina replace their cranks. Since longevity isn't really a concern to them it is important to know. This is what FSA said...

"I have no indication of how often they replace them – but I know it’s not often. I think Sabrina rode the whole season on hers, but I imagine Sam replaced them at least once given their hard use and busy riding schedule. But if you want to save a ton of weight and still slam your pedals into rocks – that’s going to happen, no matter the product.

They run the Platinum DH 83mm x 128mm to fit the team frames. All their parts are 100% stock."