Quantcast

Freeride Technique/Tips

Flyingfish

Chimp
Nov 4, 2008
Toledo, OH
seems to me a drop is easier if you hit it with a fair amount of speed if you are going fast enough you dont even have to pull up and you are gonna fall like a meteor 9-10 times so dont worry about overshooting a landing, its better than casing the landing for sure. work on judging what kind of speed you need to clear the gap. Roll off curbs alot its pretty much the same thing exept you are in the air for longer on a "real " huck.

practice.

mc cormacks book is good if you are a total newb to riding a bike but if you have been riding another style like BMX you arent gonna learn a whole lot. It kills off season boredom well tho, and its funny.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
You shouldn't really be pulling up off a drop unless you're bunny-hopping it. Push your rear wheel / shock with your legs and push your bars forward.

chic06

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
learn to judge speed this is very important and knowing how fast to hit a feature will always help your confidence, but if your unsure go a little faster than you think you need to, its usually better to over clear something than to come up short.

snared

Chimp
Sep 26, 2009
Toulouse, France
1: Wear a full face.
So true.

I've been riding with an open face helmet for the last ten years (without any problems), but decided to get a full face one. The day before I received it, I crashed, and the only part of me that wasn't protected was the same part that hit the ground first, my face...

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
ride as many different trails and stunts as you can, dont hit the same line on the same stunt every time mix it up that way no matter how fast, slow, high, low you will nail it every time.....

MattAllDay

Chimp
Jun 18, 2010
i have the same problem an i haven't exactly figured out why i do it but what helps me is just keep your eyes straight ahead an dont think about the jump that helps

papardelas

Chimp
Jan 23, 2011
So.im new here...could really use some help!..im an xc rider...always loved jumps and drops but never really hit big things....So here comes the time that i really want to learn how to jump properly!....i knew how to when i was at about 12-13....im 17 now...i had no fear back then...and jumped **** with a hardtail...now i ride a santa cruz blur lt.....140mm fork and ****...i know its not a freeride bike...but thats what i have right now and i really want to take out the best of it...So what can i do to overcome my fear?a year go i psyched out my self while on a jump and crashed really hard...injured and stuff......so what can help me?will wearing a full face and an armour make me feel more secure?

p.s. sorry for my english guys..im from Greece! ;)

ridefree

Chimp
Jun 27, 2011
Full armor and a full ace helmet is going to give you the confidence to go faster and gnar then ever before! What fork is that on your blur? Also man I'd be careful with a bike that's not intended to bashes on daily. If you can sell it and get bike to suit your needs.

NWS

Chimp
Sep 19, 2010
Start with smaller jumps and work your way up.
Armor is not a replacement for experience.