Quantcast

Free show

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
so my new frame came in I'm stoaked!!!!!! I'd get it built but my fork is at zocchi and I'm still missing a few parts, Hadley is outta stock on hubs... is this normal for them or is it just my bad luck?

anyway I'll stop the whinin'!! I'm really glad I got it...

the wtb hub that came with it is messed up (freehub body), I'm gonna send it back and get em to fix it then I guess sell it.... I always have bad luck building bikes for myself......

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
DAMN that's a nice build kit- SWEET brakes. Nice bike, too. Post some pics when it's set up.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
When i get back from the trip im coming to roanoke and stealing your bike. You can have the bighit back.

SLAYER2003

Monkey
May 1, 2003
Bellingham, WA
Good luck with those cranks.
They do not fit. At least they will not fit without tweaking them and having offset cranks with the non-drive side being closer to the frame.
Speedgoat cycles has managed to mount a set. You can read about their build here:

http://www.speedgoat.com/feature-vpfree.asp

Also, you can search on MTBR as well as there are discussions on these, Saints, and others of this type not fitting. Aside from issues of achiving proper chainline, the other mounting issue is the pivot point for the rear being to close to the BB shell. These external bearings hit it. Santa cruz states that you can file 1mm or so material from this protrusion or you have to space it out slightly.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
there have been updates with santa cruz, and these crank set ups, Saint and Diablous.... they can be mounted

I'm also gonna achieve mounting a e-13 DRS!!!!! good times to come!!!!

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Castle said:
there have been updates with santa cruz, and these crank set ups, Saint and Diablous.... they can be mounted

The man speaks the truth i think dw or someone at e13 helped him realize they would or something. That or hes lying to me and i will steal his diabolous and run it on my bighit.

SLAYER2003

Monkey
May 1, 2003
Bellingham, WA
Castle said:

What updates from Santa Cruz? Have they modified that bearing area?
I have been in talks with Scott Turner from Santa Cruz about this issue and he confirmed what I stated above. I was inquiring for new XT cranks and these issues even apply to those.
They even have a "custom" made BB for the VP-Free made from Truvative to run even ISIS cranks with the best performance.

Let me know how it all goes, because I Will have a similar build and also an Evil DRS. Will you have to file the DRS ring on these cranks as people are with the Saints?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I'll let ya know how it works out......

I imagine, (as I have not tried yet) that I will have to file some on the supercharger to get it to fit on the cranks just like folks have to do on the saints, so they will fit one another but a dremel and a steady hand with patience you wont even know it was messed with....

I plan to face my non drive side on the free vs. speedgoat has not, I will remove that protrusion leaving about 1.5 mm's.... It was discussed that 1mm left was fine...

the cups fit....

I plan to use the DRS as a spacer for the b.b. shell at first... like I said we'll see how it works out.... space cranks accordingly......... guinea pig

SLAYER2003

Monkey
May 1, 2003
Bellingham, WA
Yeah I am very curious.
If the extrernal bearings hit that protrusion, then the boomerang from the DRS shoul definately hit it more right? Or am I not seeing something.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
SLAYER2003 said:
Yeah I am very curious.
If the extrernal bearings hit that protrusion, then the boomerang from the DRS shoul definately hit it more right? Or am I not seeing something.
yup, you are missin something, the only protrusion is on the non driveside...

the drive side of the b.b. shell sticks out further than the pivot/bearing cap...

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
SLAYER2003 said:
Cool.
I wonder why it could not be the same on each side?
the chainrings would have no clearance.... it also seems as if it would be more friendly with 150 spacing.... blah

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Castle that thing is nice!

I didn't know those cranks/BB were available yet? I love my XT's, so hopefully you'll like the RF ones too! Can't wait to see it built, good luck on the build.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Mattoid said:
Hahaha sean, i just got back to my house from your place... better check under your bed and see if your missing anything.

Muhahaha!
oh don't worry that puppy sleeps about 6 inches from my head in a bean bag chair! My boss was like why didn't you leave it at the shop, I just kinda looked at him....like yeah umm ok.... I have to go home and :drool: all over it....

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Matt D said:
Castle that thing is nice!

I didn't know those cranks/BB were available yet? I love my XT's, so hopefully you'll like the RF ones too! Can't wait to see it built, good luck on the build.

I think I'm gonna love em too, I love how the XT's/Saints set up, these Race Face are a hair different but real damn similar.... the chainline should be the fun part.... that's the only thing I'm dreading workin with while building it, everything else is gonna be pretty straight forward it seems.... thanks!!!