Quantcast

Frame Suggestions

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Well, the though has occurred to me that a big bike might be in order. Here is what I will be using it for: Whistler and big stupid things on the Shore that I looked at a couple of years ago and said "whoever made this is a lunatic!"

My current bike is a perfect Shore bike with 6" of travel front and back, but on some days a big bike would just be fun. I intend to drop it, huck it, and beat it into submission on a regular basis. I do not intend to race it, pedal it, or baby it. I also don't intend to spend a heap of $$ on it. To give you an idea of what I want to do with it, I am half considering picking up an older Banshee Scream. (So there weight weenies!)

I'm thinking a burly single pivot would do the trick. (Less bearings to blow up, no need for fancy pedal efficiency stuff, I don't plan on using the brakes in the rough stuff so "brake squat" does not bother me. Actually, I ride a single pivot now, so I know how to deal with it anyway.)

The Sinister R9 is on the top of my list (used, obviously), but it is a bit short - I'd have to run a 75mm stem to be able to ride it. If I was loaded with cash, I'd be on a Jedi or one of the new F-Bombs (I'm a bit of a Sinister loyalist).

I'm 6'5", so a longer effective TT is key (think 24.5"ish here). I weigh in at about 190-200 in all my gear and a full H2O pack.

What other suggestions do you have for me? :cheers:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If I were you, I'd look at a large DHR (which would probably still be short for you), a L/XL Commencal Supreme, a large Morewood, or maybe even a used Canfield Brothers or Brooklyn Machine Works. The new Evil Revolt would probably be perfect for you, and IIRC it even comes in an XL. Not out yet and will be expensive, though.

In the used market deals are to be had right now.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If I were you, I'd look at a large DHR (which would probably still be short for you), a L/XL Commencal Supreme, a large Morewood, or maybe even a used Canfield Brothers or Brooklyn Machine Works. The new Evil Revolt would probably be perfect for you, and IIRC it even comes in an XL. Not out yet and will be expensive, though.

In the used market deals are to be had right now.
Hearing about some issues ppl have with 09 models of Commencal I wouldn't really go that way. The design is sick and I'd love that bikes to be better build but apparently they aren't in many cases.

I'd also add the idea of a Scott Gambler. They seem pretty burly, are sp's and also have adjustable geo.

If sth cheaper used than maybe giant faith? They go really low as they are rather ugly bikes but they ride nice and handle abuse.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
First bike that comes to mind is a Specialized Demo. Granted, its not a single pivot, but they can take a lot of abuse. Also, replacements bits are pretty easy to obtain; there are a lot of specialized dealers around.

Also, my recomendation is to stay away from a Sinister R9. Not that its a bad frame, its more of a race oriented bike than what you seem to be looking for.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
A friend of mine just picked up a Gambler, and it is pretty cool. Honestly, the carbon uppers on the rear triangle sketch me out a bit. I realize that the R9 is a bit more of a race frame, but it is tough as hell. I suppose a Demo might be worth a look. Anything else?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
First bike that comes to mind is a Specialized Demo. Granted, its not a single pivot, but they can take a lot of abuse. Also, replacements bits are pretty easy to obtain; there are a lot of specialized dealers around.

Also, my recomendation is to stay away from a Sinister R9. Not that its a bad frame, its more of a race oriented bike than what you seem to be looking for.
Also good because its got a super long wheelbase, which is nice for giant riders. The Demo is a pretty good choice.

You could also consider calling the canfield bro's and seeing if they have any lucky's left. Its a little less of a race oriented frame, but I have a large and its huge. Its the longest bike I've ever ridden and its fairly slack. I'll measure the WB at some point, but I don't have a ruler. They might have sold them all, they were going for 1300 a pop with a DHX 5 awhile ago. Might be worth a call.

Giant Glory makes a pretty long/large frame, with the added benefit of it having a lifetime warranty and being strong as sh1t! Also fairly cost effective if you're buying complete.

I think there is a list somewhere on the forum of "biggest large bikes" that might be worth looking into.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
You are lanky enough to make a regular length R9 into a playbike, I think.

a 70mm stem and 2" bars are all you'd need to get the cockpit dialed in.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Sounds like you described my Flatline. I'm 6-2 on a large and it's got plenty of room. It's long though... If you're going to ride some of the stuff in N. Van, it's not going to help you in the tight turny stuff.

I took mine to Whistler last year and it destroyed that place. It's uber stiff, has low C.G. and very stable at speed. It's actually pretty versatile in it's set-up as well. You can run it in a DH setting, or run a single crown with a shorter shock and have a freeride/park bike...

It's a good thing you're not a weight weeny though... Here's a shot of me in the Garbanzo...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
A friend of mine just picked up a Gambler, and it is pretty cool. Honestly, the carbon uppers on the rear triangle sketch me out a bit. I realize that the R9 is a bit more of a race frame, but it is tough as hell. I suppose a Demo might be worth a look. Anything else?
Ppl think to much about carbon breaking instead of using them. I'm currently riding on carbon bars and they handled more bails and abuse in last season than my previous alu bars in 3 years. They hold great.

BTW. How many times you hit your bike on the rear uppers?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
You are lanky enough to make a regular length R9 into a playbike, I think.

a 70mm stem and 2" bars are all you'd need to get the cockpit dialed in.
Yeah, this is what I am thinking - maybe.
As for the carbon upper stays on the gambler, they make me nervous because realistically I crash now and then - sometimes spectacularly - and a lot of the trails I ride are rocky...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah, this is what I am thinking - maybe.
As for the carbon upper stays on the gambler, they make me nervous because realistically I crash now and then - sometimes spectacularly - and a lot of the trails I ride are rocky...
I crash all the time. I do it on rocky trails and my bars look like they were atacked by a sabertooth cat but they still hold great. They handled DIRECT! rock hits and they still hold. It's a myth. Also try imagining a crash that will hurt your bike in that area? I fly in different directions with my bike bailing and crashing and never had one scratch on my upper rears.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
A cove shocker or std might be a good option. I know there not a single pivot but also a bit less race orientated than the likes of a morewood. A bit more burly and good geo

Rafael-DH

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Brazil
Get a large blindside!
The bike is perfect for what you want!
But i have to advice:
It's going to pedal very well (even you dont want it!) Lol

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'd stay away from a DHR. I'm not as tall as you, and even the large feels a little cramped to me.