Quantcast

Fr/Rr suspension travel balance?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
GiantDHRider said:
my dh bike has +8" of rear wheel travel. would it be wierd if i matched it up the front with a 6" 2003 Manitou Slider?

just wondering...
Geometry is more important - your bike is designed around a 7" boxxer right? How much shorter is the Slider 6"? Also doesn't the bike have a slack or steep setting - that might help get the geometry right with the slider...

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
syadasti said:
Geometry is more important - your bike is designed around a 7" boxxer right? How much shorter is the Slider 6"? Also doesn't the bike have a slack or steep setting - that might help get the geometry right with the slider...
Yeah but you might lower the BB to buggery by doing that.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
thaflyinfatman said:
Yeah but you might lower the BB to buggery by doing that.
BB height is part of geometry, no ;)

With a 7" boxxer the BB height is 14.625". Even if the Slider was an 1" shorter, he would still have a higher BB than some of the top WC DH frames at 14.125" - M1, DWDH, etc...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think the GiantDHRider rides an Intense...

I know the Giant DH works fine with a slider 6"...Blong ran that (and even a 5" SC at one point if I remember correctly). But I think we're talking Intense M1, and unless it's old, I think that might really be too low, no? The 6" slider is a really short fork.

MD

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MikeD said:
I think the GiantDHRider rides an Intense...

I know the Giant DH works fine with a slider 6"...Blong ran that (and even a 5" SC at one point if I remember correctly). But I think we're talking Intense M1, and unless it's old, I think that might really be too low, no? The 6" slider is a really short fork.

MD
He rides a Chumba F4 with a Boxxer. I've personally ridden his bike.

I traded him at the bottom of a shuttle run - my 24/36 11-32 dual ring trail bike for his DH bike with 38 tooth ring 11-27 (I think?). I then proceed to catch up with and punish an XC rider on the road climb back to to the top :D

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I had a 6" Sherman on my 7" Stinky and I had to get the drop crown to get the proper fork height to maintain my geometry but with the drop crown I could run as much as 8+" of exposed stanchion...So in other words, I think the answer is yes it can be made to work fine but you will need the drop crown. FWIW that fork felt great! It made 6" feel like 8"!