Quantcast

Fox DHX RC4 Settings and spring rate?

Nov 17, 2014
Been riding about a year now and just finally Clueing in on how to tune my forks and what not , Got my Boxxer team tuned very nicely now with your guys help, And am hoping you guys can give me some tips on setting the rear shock

I have the 500x3.25 Spring on mine, Im 195LB without gear. What are you guys running?

Can someone explain to me how to set sag I read a couple of things but do not fully understand.

What Are your guys recommended settings for Air psi, LSC, HSC and bottom out on this shock.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Spring rate will be dependent on your specific bike and leverage ratio and your weight.

Are you getting proper sag?

Air psi needs to be at a minimum 125lbs.

Are you feeling the shock bottom out harshly?

LSC and HSC in my experience are somewhat personal preference.

On my tr450 I ran a 450lbs spring, no idea how many clicks of rebound, approximately my body weight in air psi (175lbs) with the canister cranked out, lsc was 2 clicks + hsc was 4 clicks + and I would adjust rebounds/lsc/hsc based on feel a few clicks in either directions.

On my tr500 I am running a 400lbs spring, again, approximately bodyweight in the air canister, lsc is 3 clicks + and hsc is 6 clicks +

my wife on tr450 was running a 350 lbs spring, 0 clicks of either compression, sometimes up to 2-4 of either, but usually none, 125lbs in the air cansiter. She is 130ish lbs.

Hope this helps, though you are likely to get a whole bunch of answers.

Nov 17, 2014
The one thing i really understand is rebound, how fast it pops back up. Ending stroke rebound and beggining (For my fork) and stuff

I have an intense 951 i think 2010 or 2011 frame. I just went to pump air and i put a tire gauge on it and it reads nothing. then when i press the shrader valve no air comes out???

Nov 17, 2014
I just dont really understand the definitions of HSC and LSC is what I'm saying.

How do they effect my ride when i + or - the LSC or HSC

And I am not understanding bottom out correctly, When you + it is it giving more resistance? how can tuning this help my ride. If anyone can forward me to a pretty Noob friendly guide that would be great

Nov 17, 2014
how do I measure the Eye to eye on my intense 951 ? Im getting 10.5" But everywhere I read its 8.5" for this frame....

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
You adjust sag on a coil shock by changing the spring to a different spring rate. So, if the 500 doesn't have enough sag, get a 450, etc.

Eye to eye length is the center of shock bolt to center of shock bolt. Your bike probably has a 9.5" eye to eye, 3" travel shock. I think that's what the 951 uses, and it is consistent with using a 3"+ travel spring. You want the spring to have at least as much travel as the shock.

If you dont know where to start, set everything to the minimum and get the spring rate in the ballpark first. Then set rebound damping where the suspension returns quickly from a compression without excessive wallowing (you can do this in a parking lot). Then add some compression damping. At this stage, you're at least going to have a setup that is probably decent. Then, go ride and start changing one variable at a time to feel what it does and refine.

Nov 17, 2014
Wow great explanation thanks! yeah the 951 has two shock mount holes. One for 8.5" and 8". I do not know what this means but I have mine in the top 8.5" Hole. Is this the "Wheel Travel" ??