Quantcast

Fox DH40 Stem/Crown

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
After incessant procrastination, I finally got a date from our machinist regarding the Switch crown for the DH40. We should have them right around Interbike. Now you don't have to email me anymore. RM, sorry if this violates the press release policy. It's 6:15 on Friday and I'm doing this the lazy way.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
James | Go-Ride said:
After incessant procrastination, I finally got a date from our machinist regarding the Switch crown for the DH40. We should have them right around Interbike. Now you don't have to email me anymore. RM, sorry if this violates the press release policy. It's 6:15 on Friday and I'm doing this the lazy way.
This is probably a really really dumb question, but is the direct-mount stem attached to the bottom of the crown for the picture? I'm just aksing because the relieving on a crown is usually on the bottom, not the top.

Looks sweet. Nice work.

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
What kind of bolts does it come with, my first gen switch 888 crown bolts got all rusted out, kinda a downer after you spend like 160 bucks on a custom machined crowns.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Not positive on price yet, they're going to be a bit more than the 888 Switch since there is more material. The crowns are relieved on both sides, and will be available in 25.4 and 31.8, same offset options as the existing Switch. As for the bolts, those are hardened steel bolts that will can handle a much higher load than the crappy silver bolts that come in most stock crowns. There are a few companies that offer nickel-plated hardended steel bolts, but they are $2 - $3 a pop, so after retail markup, the crowns would cost $25 - $40 more at retail. Without trying to sound like a jerk (I also wanted to put different bolts in the crowns before retail until I learned about the price difference from The Man, I promise), if you want nickel-plated bolts, go out and buy some. It's a lot cheaper that way.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Mountain_Dewd said:
What kind of bolts does it come with, my first gen switch 888 crown bolts got all rusted out, kinda a downer after you spend like 160 bucks on a custom machined crowns.
high grade alloy bolts (10.9 or 12.9) typically used on crowns and stems will corrode very quickly even with plating or other finishes under the right circumstances. Stainless bolts arent as strong or stiff, so it has nothing to do with cost.

I've had real good luck with the blue bolts from McMaster, they seem to do a bit better than nickel plated bolts and look kinda cool.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
That is a pretty sweet crown james,I too am working on a 40 crown over here in the uk for personal use
How much testing and what not do you do on them before they released to the public???

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
konastab01 said:
That is a pretty sweet crown james,I too am working on a 40 crown over here in the uk for personal use
How much testing and what not do you do on them before they released to the public???
We had Van Dine on one for most of the summer, and we do stress/FEA testing. Just like the last crowns we made for the 888, the stanchions or handlebar should fail way, way before the crown does..

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
Oh man, I ordered a set of 888 crowns awhile back and they are bad ass. Since I am now running a DH40, I will definately have to drop some cash for the switch crown. Damn you go-ride!!!!

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
priceseliger14 said:
I need some facts before I suck it up and buy one.
Do you request these "facts" from every manufacturer for every component on your bike(s)?

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Fulton said:
Do you request these "facts" from every manufacturer for every component on your bike(s)?
Lets just say I do much much research before I decide on important parts or frames. I'm talking about folders of comparisons and things along those lines.

Aug 14, 2005
az
James | Go-Ride said:
After incessant procrastination, I finally got a date from our machinist regarding the Switch crown for the DH40. We should have them right around Interbike.
Does anyone know if these are available yet, and the $$??

Aug 14, 2005
az
DIRTWRKS said:
Not sure about the Go Ride ones but the ones from Risse are.
I just looked at the Risse one, and they are look nice. Can anyone point me in the direction of the direct mount stems??? Manfacturer, website, any info? I've searched and have found nothing!

THX

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Cromag, E13 Components, Sic Components makes stems for the Risse aka Boxxer Stems - there has been several threads about this in this forum.

Aug 14, 2005
az
CBJ said:
Cromag, E13 Components, Sic Components makes stems for the Risse aka Boxxer Stems - there has been several threads about this in this forum.
Thanks, I guess I'll just have to look harder. Sic stems don't have a 31.8 (at least what's on their website doesn't), E13's site isn't updated with the stems, and I can't find cromag's site.

Go-ride's might be the way to go, depending on the final cost.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
.downhillfast. said:
Thanks, I guess I'll just have to look harder. Sic stems don't have a 31.8 (at least what's on their website doesn't), E13's site isn't updated with the stems, and I can't find cromag's site.

Go-ride's might be the way to go, depending on the final cost.

You can order one directly from E13 by emailing or calling them.

The site hasn't been updated as the new products technically do not arrive until early November, but I believe they have some in stock now. The new website will be up shortly.

Aug 14, 2005
az
James | Go-Ride said:
They are supposed to get here today. Pricing should be really close to the 888 Switch.
Uh, ok, the guy I spoke to on the phone didn't know that. Thanks for the info, look forward to ordering 1...