Quantcast

Fox 831: anybody with real time feedback/review???

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
So, I want to upgrade from my actual fork on my 4x bike (coil Pike). The Pike works great, but it's a tank, so I'd like to upgrade to something lighter. Bike (2010 Yeti DJ) is used for racing and race training ++ general fooling around.

I tried a F100 32 QR15 and it feels pretty flexy for 4x BMX DS riding. It's actually pretty scary to see it flex while in the gate! Not convinced at all.

Would a 831 be stiffer? Anybody spent some decent time in the gate with one? Does it live to its marketing hype? Reba maxle lite better? Care for a review?

THANKS!

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I have 1, I have not used it for anything except dirt jumping (and its lowered to 80mm). It is very light, VERY light. The ride is pretty good, i stepped off a nemesis Z1, so it was similar to that, it has a nice amount of LSC and its pretty stiff (although im sure you can run them softer) It has a TON of adjustments, so im sure you could find a setting you like. I'D recommend it to other people.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
suspension feel is similar to any other fox product that uses the float internals, same adjustments as any rlc model as well. it will be a slightly stiffer chassis compared to the f series but its still a 32mm fork so dont expect it to be leaps and bounds stiffer then what you were using before.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
my riding buddy has been riding a 831 for months on his banshee AMP, and that fork feels dope, no problems to report

it feels like a lighter version of my Pike 454 Air U-Turn, but without external travel adjustment, if that makes sense...

If I ever ruin my Pike, the 831 would be the next purchase for my Banshee Rampant

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Great thanks for the feedback guys. I don't expect the fork to be stiffer than a Pike, but I would like to have something similar stiffness wise minus 1.5 pounds. Choices are pretty slim and 831 seems to fit the bill but still want to make sure there is a real advantage between the 831 and a lowered Float 32 not just marketing hype.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Great thanks for the feedback guys. I don't expect the fork to be stiffer than a Pike, but I would like to have something similar stiffness wise minus 1.5 pounds. Choices are pretty slim and 831 seems to fit the bill but still want to make sure there is a real advantage between the 831 and a lowered Float 32 not just marketing hype.
If it would save you some money, you could always go the reba team 20mm route. IMO, stiffness wise it rides real smilar to a pike, and you already have a 20mm front wheel. I am using a Reba at 120mm on a trail bike and its a solid fork. I know flex would not be a problem especially with it lowered to 100mm or so.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
If it would save you some money, you could always go the reba team 20mm route. IMO, stiffness wise it rides real smilar to a pike, and you already have a 20mm front wheel. I am using a Reba at 120mm on a trail bike and its a solid fork. I know flex would not be a problem especially with it lowered to 100mm or so.
Yes I was thinking about that too. Lots of WC guys/girls seem to be on the Reba if my eyes serve me correct, unless it's some sort of hybrid revelation/reba. Average price for the Reba Team 20mm seem to be about 100$ less than a 831.

Is the travel easily adjustable? Or you have to open the fork to switch out spacers and stuff??

thanks for chiming in

Last edited:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Curious about one of those:

Suntour Axon with 15mm axle. Rinderknecht and David Graf seem to be ripping pretty hard with those. Price is right too.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
bill but still want to make sure there is a real advantage between the 831 and a lowered Float 32 not just marketing hype.
there actually is NO noticiable difference between the 831 and a standard 32 float rlc, i've spent time on both and besides the color and marketing they are the same fork, o an the 831 comes at 100mm from the factory

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
there actually is NO noticiable difference between the 831 and a standard 32 float rlc, i've spent time on both and besides the color and marketing they are the same fork, o an the 831 comes at 100mm from the factory
Thanks that's exactly the sort of opinion I wanted to hear.:thumb:

Knowing that, and that basically both fork (32 Float RLC and 831) are the same price, which one would you pick, or would dump Fox for a RS or Marzo or Manitou?

Last edited:

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I have a 32 float on my dj bike that is pretty much just a 26 inch bmx bike. All it sees it laps at my local track. In the gate the 32 is scary. Flexes side to side as well as fore and aft. Its light as hell, but its like a noodle. Im not that big at 175 either. A guy I ride with has an 831 and I cant tell a difference between the two forks.

Ive had my 32 for about two years and i think the fork is about dead. When its torked one way or the other the fork pops and cracks from where the steerer is pressed into the crown. I know it isnt my headset or bike cause i put my 32 on my bros bike to see.

I love my 40 on my big bike but I wouldnt ever put another 32 on my dj bike. I dont need freak light weight, I just got my 32 for dirt cheap. For my purposes I like the idea of a lowered 36

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Curious about one of those:

Suntour Axon with 15mm axle. Rinderknecht and David Graf seem to be ripping pretty hard with those. Price is right too.
Suntour sent over a DURO fork for review. I have never, ever in my life thought I would say this but...its REALLY GOOD, especially for the money. Based on my experiences seeing how well that fork works, I;d say you're probably on the safe side with that Axon.

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
I have an 831 on both my ht and fs 4x bikes, i usewd to run a f120 rlc qr15 lowered to 90mm.

THe 831 is stiffer at the gate, definitely, but not by miles, i am however totally happy with the stiffer suspension ride, I do not need to ride it with the lock out almost fully closed, it doesn't dive as much initially, and uses the travel better on big hits

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I have an 831 on both my ht and fs 4x bikes, i usewd to run a f120 rlc qr15 lowered to 90mm.

THe 831 is stiffer at the gate, definitely, but not by miles, i am however totally happy with the stiffer suspension ride, I do not need to ride it with the lock out almost fully closed, it doesn't dive as much initially, and uses the travel better on big hits
Thanks Christiaan!

So the custom valving on the 831 would be the only difference between a regular 32 float and the 831?

Ever had some catastrophic failure using the F120 for 4x/bmx/Ds riding?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I have a 32 float on my dj bike that is pretty much just a 26 inch bmx bike. All it sees it laps at my local track. In the gate the 32 is scary. Flexes side to side as well as fore and aft. Its light as hell, but its like a noodle. Im not that big at 175 either. A guy I ride with has an 831 and I cant tell a difference between the two forks.

Ive had my 32 for about two years and i think the fork is about dead. When its torked one way or the other the fork pops and cracks from where the steerer is pressed into the crown. I know it isnt my headset or bike cause i put my 32 on my bros bike to see.

I love my 40 on my big bike but I wouldnt ever put another 32 on my dj bike. I dont need freak light weight, I just got my 32 for dirt cheap. For my purposes I like the idea of a lowered 36
Thanks for the feedback! :thumb:

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
Thanks Christiaan!

So the custom valving on the 831 would be the only difference between a regular 32 float and the 831?

I ran a F120 RLC with 9mm axle for 2 seasons, never any problems, even when crashing, casing etc. It is now on my girlfriends XC bike, then I swithced to the QR15 version, which was stiffer and then to the Fox 831.

It is stiffer, but not like a Fox 36, it uses the uppers from the 150mm Float version, so there is def more overlap on the lowers, but like I said, not like the 36 stiff

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE

the custom valving is not something to even think about, both the 831 and 32 float use the same cartridge and they are both air forks, so you can adjust the stiffness of the suspension with more or less air.

the f-series is going to be "more flexy" then the regular float and the 831 but the 32 float and 831 are ESSENTIALLY the same fork, thus the similar price and everything.

since your getting a new fork get the 831 because im sure the resale value down the road will be better, if you already had a 32 float i'd say keep it. basically the 831 isnt really anything special, or leaps and bounds better then other fox products using the same chassis

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Suntour sent over a DURO fork for review. I have never, ever in my life thought I would say this but...its REALLY GOOD, especially for the money. Based on my experiences seeing how well that fork works, I;d say you're probably on the safe side with that Axon.
I have heard different from someone who previously rode for Duro. They thought the Axon was a piece.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
there is actually a huge difference between the 2 forks. besides the kashima coating coming on the 2011 831 and all the steer tube options available the airspring is very different than the standard float as is the fit cartridge using much more low speed compression and a stiffer range of adjustments...

you are on an f-series fork which does not have the webbed arch like the float and 831 lowers so you will notice a pretty big change in gate stiffness. the crown is also different from the f100 providing more stiffness there.

I have an f120 upper on f100 lowers on my Konig and i have 831 on both my DJ ducat and my 4x race Ducat..

hope this helps but from what I have come to find is that you can run less pressure and get the same compression stiffness (better pump) while still maintaining small bump sensitivity on the 831 as opposed to the f-series.