Quantcast

fox 40 spring weights

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
I'm getting a 2010 fox 40 in the post in a few days, right now im riding on a 2008 with a blue spring

im around 155 lbs, are the spring weights for the '10 the same as all the other years? i dont want to sell the fork ive got now with the wrong spring (i have a green spare)

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Yeah they are all the same, Fox just changed which one came as Ti. I have a 2008 and I believe it is the 180lb, the 2010 two of my teammates have is one lighter and uses the 160lb.

I may be off by one increment on the spring weight but I am sure the 2010 Ti is one color less stiff or however you want to say it.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
so it will come with the blue as standard (as the green was standard in my fork?)
Yeah I think so. Here's a link to Fox info http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/09/Eng/2009_OM_eng.htm

The 2008 came with the green as Ti, that's the one I ride. They always give you spare steel ones for +/- one spring rate with a new fork. So I have a yellow and blue one sitting around.

My teammate left his extra springs at my house and they are green and purple. So I assumed his 2010 Ti came with the blue.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Just checked mine, it has the blue ti installed. My bad, I switched to the purple last year and just changed it back the blue is what came installed.

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
Spring weights for 2010 are-
Black-extra soft.
Purple-soft.
Blue-medium.(Ti blue came installed in my '10 40)
Green-firm.
Yellow-extra firm.
Orange-extra,extra firm.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
are those spring rates accurate? I mean, I have a VanRC2 '07 and I run a green spring though I weigh about 170lbs (so I'm supposed to run a blue one...)

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
are those spring rates accurate? I mean, I have a VanRC2 '07 and I run a green spring though I weigh about 170lbs (so I'm supposed to run a blue one...)
The spring rates are just estimates for a place to start. Each bike will be a bit different and it will depend on your rear settings as well since that shares your weight and it may not be 50/50. You should check your sag when you're in your normal riding position; meaning sitting on an XC bike and standing on a DH bike.

Even on the same DH bike with an identical rider weight it can vary. Some riders stay back above the seat, some ride very aggressive with their shoulders right above the handle bars (typically racers).

I got all this help from the guys at Sol Vista. If you're ever there (I know folks may never be in CO) you can stop in the shop and they'll give anyone advice. Tons of knowledge there, all those guys race pro and they're very cool about helping.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
cheers for that...it's very helpful...!
The spring rates are just estimates for a place to start. Each bike will be a bit different and it will depend on your rear settings as well since that shares your weight and it may not be 50/50. You should check your sag when you're in your normal riding position; meaning sitting on an XC bike and standing on a DH bike.

Even on the same DH bike with an identical rider weight it can vary. Some riders stay back above the seat, some ride very aggressive with their shoulders right above the handle bars (typically racers).

I got all this help from the guys at Sol Vista. If you're ever there (I know folks may never be in CO) you can stop in the shop and they'll give anyone advice. Tons of knowledge there, all those guys race pro and they're very cool about helping.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I'm glad you guys appreciate the info. Steve at Sol Vista spent 30 minutes explaining things to me. I learned more about suspension during that time that I did in the previous 2 years.

Another topic he got into was compression settings, that gets complicated and I don't understand it enough to give too much advice but I do know my bike was riding better after his help and I learned a lot.