Quantcast

Fox 36 with a 2.7 or 2.8 tire? Yes or No?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So I currently run a 2.5 Stick E nevegal as my front tire and it works great for my east coast usage. I am headed to the PNW at the end of the month for a Vancouver and Whistler trip and am thinking about beefing up my front rubber a bit for the trip. I have always liked big tires and wanted some thoughts on a front tire to run up there with my 36. Does anyone know if the Michelin 2.8 will work in a 36? I know fox will tell me no but I wasn’t sure if anyone had tried it, still guessing it is a no.

What about a 2.7 nevegal? I think this might be my ticket but im not positive. Anyone?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hmmm both sound encouraging...I think i'd really like to go huge with the 2.8 because i already have the 2.5...I know that the michy is HUGE though might be over 2.8 i really hope someone has tried this...

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
I have the same setup as you, a 2.5 Kenda in a Fox 36. As you can see, the Kenda tires are always a bit 'underrated' in size. I also have a Kenda 2.7 on my other bike, I can go try and swap the two for you or something, but I'd rather wait 'till later after other have a chance to respond. Getting the wheel out of a Shiver suuuuuuucks.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Oh damn man dont go doing that, i hear the shiver thing...I dont know that I am worried about the 2.7 Kenda i think that should fit ok...I think i may have problems with the michy...

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Oh damn man dont go doing that, i hear the shiver thing...I dont know that I am worried about the 2.7 Kenda i think that should fit ok...I think i may have problems with the michy...
If you didn't buy the tire yet I don't have a problem swapping it later. I just got my wisdom yanked and I can't drive because of the vicodin, so I'm just sitting here really.

EDIT: Actually, hold on I'll go try now. Be right back.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Well I'll be a monkeys uncle.... It fits, with a safe margin of flex on either side, prob a hair less then 1/2 inch. Anything larger may rub the fork with a heavily side-loaded force/impact.

...My 34lb SXT now feels a lot more like my 48lb scream, but it does work. Again, this is a 2.7 Kenda Nevegal, Stick-e I think. I would take a picture but my sister is away and took the only functioning digital camera.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
For what it's worth, I didn't find the 2.7 Nevegal to give me any better traction up front than a 2.5. In fact, I switched back recently. The 2.7 felt a bit more "bobbly" for a better lack of terms. Then Again, this is on an R9.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I agree. My 2.7 Nevy seemed to push more than bite. I'm back to the 2.5 as well.

On a short travel fork (Pike) the 2.7 added some extra cushion, but on a longer travel fork I like the 2.5 better.