Quantcast

Fox 2007

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Zark said:
Why?
Do you think the 130mm version is flexy?
My Talas is pretty stiff IMO
I have ridden a 110 or a 120 (not sure) but it wasn't flexy as far as I can tell. At least not enough to complain about. And they will definitely be lengthening the stantions so there is more overlap. I wouldn't be worried about flex. Fox seems pretty on top of things.

liquidsystm

Chimp
May 25, 2005
there was a post on the 2007 Fox line up several weeks ago...i'm not sure if they've begun shipping the entire line, but we've already built a frame with an 07 DHX AIR

Attachments

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
bballe336 said:
I have ridden a 110 or a 120 (not sure) but it wasn't flexy as far as I can tell. At least not enough to complain about. And they will definitely be lengthening the stantions so there is more overlap. I wouldn't be worried about flex. Fox seems pretty on top of things.

lengthening the stanchions alone wont create more overlap, it will actually only increase the a-c distance and flex.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
vitox said:
lengthening the stanchions alone wont create more overlap, it will actually only increase the a-c distance and flex.
If there is more stantion inside the lowers won't that create more overlap? or do you need longer bushings?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
bballe336 said:
If there is more stantion inside the lowers won't that create more overlap? or do you need longer bushings?

overlap in this case (two static bushing design) is exactly the distance between the lowermost part of the lower bushing, and the uppermost part of the upper bushing.
if you were to drop the lower bushing, you would have more overlap, but if the design had maxed out bushing overlap from before, then you would have the stanchion ride out of the lower bushing upon full extension, so you need a longer lower casting to have more overlap, this might and might not be possible, it depends on if there was more exposed stanchion than travel or not.

so, in short terms, as long as the stanchion is hitting the bottom of the lower legs when bottoming out, the only way to get more overlap is to lengthen the lowers, and if the lowers cant be lengthened w/o having the dust seal hit the crown, then you need to lengthen the stanchions but then you will also increase the a-c.
actually, you can also lengthen the stanchions to get more overlap by making a flatter crown but normally the usefulness of that approach is negated by forks hitting downtubes when turning.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
I'm a bit disappointed that Fox is not offering a thru axle on any of their 32mm forks for '07. A 140mm QR version just does not make sense. Suppose that I will just have to get a Pike 454, although I really dig my Talas RLC 130... but it just ain't stiff enough.

:mumble:

-pdawg

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
pdawg said:
I'm a bit disappointed that Fox is not offering a thru axle on any of their 32mm forks for '07. A 140mm QR version just does not make sense. Suppose that I will just have to get a Pike 454, although I really dig my Talas RLC 130... but it just ain't stiff enough.

:mumble:

-pdawg

yea its weird, i mean, why not, they were out after more stiffness on the 32mm chassis and redesigned the lowers anyway, why not make a new 20mm lower and leave the current ones for 100mm?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
vitox said:
yea its weird, i mean, why not, they were out after more stiffness on the 32mm chassis and redesigned the lowers anyway, why not make a new 20mm lower and leave the current ones for 100mm?
I have been saying the same thing for like 2 years now, a 20mm version would sell so well it is almost retarded...They could basically overtake the pike market...Many people are running pikes on their trail and dj/park bikes that would love to run a fox, but they just dont have the 20mm...

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Many people are running pikes on their trail and dj/park bikes that would love to run a fox, but they just dont have the 20mm...
See my above post w/ the picture...

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
SBDownhillRacer said:
hows the new dhx compare to the 05, 06 ones?
From what I read, the '07 DHX uses a smaller reservoir for a more progressive Spring rate (to prevent bottoming out). On my Kona, there are two mounting hole positions for linear or progressive spring rate... plus the bottom out adjust already on my '05 DHX. That's enough progressiveness for me. :)

-pdawg

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
manhattanprjkt83 said:
i wonder how these would fair on a dj bike, pretty hot set up if they could take the abuse...
We all used to DJ on forks a lot weaker than we're currently used to...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
coma13 said:
See my above post w/ the picture...
i see that man, i own 2 36 TALAS forks, i would much rather have a 20mm axel 80-100 mm vanilla or float for street/dirt stuff...34mm stanchions would be juicy as well...

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
manhattanprjkt83 said:
i see that man, i own 2 36 TALAS forks, i would much rather have a 20mm axel 80-100 mm vanilla or float for street/dirt stuff...34mm stanchions would be juicy as well...
Yeah... but that's not a 36 TALAS, it's a 36 Float w/ 100mm of travel... non adjustable...

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
manhattanprjkt83 said:
The fork on this bike is a 2007 FOX36 Float R with 100mm of set travel. Just what you are asking for. It will be out in a few months.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
No, they get it. It's just that the 36 is frikken huge, there's no real need for that much stanchion on a 100mm fork. And 100mm of travel is too much IMO for DJ.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Bicyclist said:
No, they get it. It's just that the 36 is frikken huge, there's no real need for that much stanchion on a 100mm fork. And 100mm of travel is too much IMO for DJ.
Read his last post. He asks for a 80 to 100mm float. And 36mm stanctions are not huge. They are perfect for DJ. 4inches of travel is not to much for DJ IMO. I DJ every day with that much travel. It's lovely.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You'd be amazed at the difference between 1" of stiff travel and a rigid fork.

He asks for a 32mm float w/ a 20mm axle because it wouldn't be so ginormous.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Bicyclist said:
You'd be amazed at the difference between 1" of stiff travel and a rigid fork.

He asks for a 32mm float w/ a 20mm axle because it wouldn't be so ginormous.
You'de be amazed how little difference it makes having 2 or 4 inches for dirt jumping, if you know how to ride.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
no doubt ZD. i don't DJ, but i have noticed i need less travel than i think i do since buying my pike. i was a "more travel is better" thinker for many moons. when i got the pike, it was easier to notice how travel impacted ride feel. with the pike, the damping and preload are the same, and the only thing that changes is the travel. i realized shorter travel could be better on certain trails and started running the fork in the 90mm mode more often.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Zach Dank said:
You'de be amazed how little difference it makes having 2 or 4 inches for dirt jumping, if you know how to ride.
hehe - people handing out :nuts: left & right today.