Quantcast

Found an old school picture today

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
BMX Plus! from around 1983-84?

eric rupe rides mnt bike I think. or did at one time, early 90's.

I remember all those names (or most of them) the picture doesn't look familiar though so I'm guessing it's from BMX Plus! not BMX Action (I subscribed to BMXA for years)

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
Eric and Robby Rupe were Pro's when I started in 1980!
He is the Granddaddy of BMX, and a super-nice guy to boot.
I got to know Eric well, after a friend of mine got sponsored by Mongoose. Anyone remember the Mongoose Suburban?

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
My avatar is my 24" Hutch. The picture this AM was my 20".
I started on a 26" MCS, that I still have too! I was big for
my age as a teen, and liked the bigger bikes better. I still did OK on my 20": Nat. 17, and then Nat. 14, the following year.
But I concentrated on my 24", and raced A PRO on it, later.
One win....$220. T-shirt printing paid better at the time,
so that's what I do!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I heard old school BMX stuff is hot on ebay right now... if it's not rusted too bad... you should clean that sucker up and keep it nice, it's probably a collectors item.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant
Even mine? LOL. I think that was from "Super BMX" magazine.
I thought you might respond........
Did you race? Where?
Super BMX! haha. dammit...

I raced for a few years in Coos Bay, Oregon. from maybe '82 to 83 in the Novice class. then in 84, FREESTYLIN' came out and I started doing that. I was never competitive enough to race. plus I was like 80 pounds of pure skin and bones. and, lived in the middle of nowhere.

we didn't have a TV when I grew up and I lived in the country so all I did was memorize those magazines. I subscribed to BMXA and FREESTYLIN' and my best friend subscribed to BMX Plus!. and we would pick up the other magazines at the local store.

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
LOL! Not exactly a hotbed for BMX, though neither was
Rochester, NY! Wasn't Gary Ellis from up that way?
I saw Bart McDaniels name around RM lately...remember him?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
gary ellis is from Seattle. I used to work with a lady that was best friends with his wife. and my current boss is really good freinds with his grandpa or uncle (one of the older Ellis's)

there were a couple of pro's from around seattle area. who was the big black dude that raced cruiser from here? I think he rode for CW? Perry.. something?

for some reason when I hear the name Bart all I can think of is Bart Taylor. "your nothing compared to Bart Taylor"

there was a pro from Coos Bay named Shannon Coates. he may have been a 'B' pro though. we were pretty young back then and anybody that was older was pretty awsome in our book. if they had z-rims or 3 piece cranks and box bars with a Pro Neck they pretty much walked on water.

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
Bob Haro is the original in my book. He gave me Number plates,
and stickers/ patches. First time I saw him riding ramps (1980?)
I couldn't stop talking about it for weeks......
Freestyle owes almost everything to Bob!

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Eric Rupe still races BMX... Vet Pro and Pro Cruiser, and he's in the hunt for the title every year. He was my hero when I first started riding, pink leathers and mile-high seatpost notwithstanding.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
yea, Clarence! I remember a picture of him railing a corner with a broken foam 2x4 sticking up, marking the corner of the track.

when I mentioned FREESTYLIN' I meant the magazine that was published by Wizard Publications. it's funny how tricks like the endo and standing on your top tube were so cool back then. now it's not even considered a trick. :) yep, Bob Haro, Jeff Watson, and for some reason Jeff Bottema (sp?) comes to mind.

I'm 33 so in '82 I was 12. freestyle and street were around long before they had a name. I remember kids jumping stairs and trying to 360 them back then. the older kids destroying their aluminum handle bars and Tange forks. aluminum Race Inc. frames and Sugino 3 piece cranks. Tuff Neck and Pro Neck stems were a must have item on any bike. V-bars too. I had a Redline MX II that I put all my parts on from my Schwinn Jr. Stingray.
remember the Schwinn Sting? they had one in the window of the bike shop for so long. five inch head tube.....

if your not a member, I suggest you go over to Vintagebmx.com
plenty of old school riders over there and I bet you find someone who you raced with or against.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'm not quite as old as you guys are and I was never into racing BMX as a kid but I always wanted to, thing is that our local track only had races on sunday and my parents insisted I went to church (now I'm kind of glad they did) then when I was about 10 they shut the track down so I never really got a chance to get into the racing scene. Anyways I just got a BMX to tool around on and maybe rehash some of the stuff I missed out on when I was a kid, I built a jump in my back yard today, just like I did when I was a kid. This one's probablly smaller though, maybe I'll head down to the local track some week night when they're open and try out the big dirt jumps, Is it too late to recapture my lost childhood? Can you buy vintage BMX magazines on ebay too. That would be cool because I might actually be able to do some of those tricks like endos and standing on the top tube, heck I'd even try standing on the seat.

From the list, I remember Brent Patterson. . .he and his brother Brian were pretty good in the pro mix about that time.

Anyone remember the Hutch frames with the "Z" in the downtube? CW bars? Floval Flyers? Tim Judge, progenitor of the one-footed tabletop?

Neccros

Chimp
Aug 3, 2003
gastrocnemius said:
From the list, I remember Brent Patterson. . .he and his brother Brian were pretty good in the pro mix about that time.

Anyone remember the Hutch frames with the "Z" in the downtube? CW bars? Floval Flyers? Tim Judge, progenitor of the one-footed tabletop?
Actually I beleive CW made that "Z" frame... Although hutch might of made one as well I just know a friend of mine rode a CW with the Z and I had a regular CW....

Neccros

Neccros

Chimp
Aug 3, 2003
Reason I recall is they looked cool and I wanted one, but they were prone to cracking.... :)

And guess where they cracked??

Neccros

BullBiker

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Flatland Florida
Wow! Flashback!

You guys remember Ron Walker? He's still one of my best friends. He and I grew up together and he turned Pro back in the day.

Profile Racing sponsored him back when we were 12. Eric and Robbie both raced for Profile, so I got to know both of them.

You guys remember those wheels that had the holes drilled out between the spokes to make them lighter and you could add colored stips? Pro Concepts right?

I raced for a number of years down here in FL. I was never super fast, but I had fun. Jerry Hudson (Termite) and Percy Owens, still race down here and are shooting for the Olympics.

Other Pros I rememer, Harry Leary, Stu Thomson, Gary Ellis, The Rupe's, of course Toby Henderson, Pistol Pete Loncarovich (sp?),....etc.

L8R

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
those rims w/ holes in them were made by or for Mongoose.

does anyone remember the debate over the trick known as a Leary? the debate was who did it first and should it be called a Leary or a Henderson(I think...)
it's pretty much just called a lookback or a turndown these days though..

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
"You guys remember Ron Walker"
Hell yeah! Our team (Cool-Tool) used to stay at that KOA campground,
next to the Profile factory, when we were racing in Florida. Profile gave us cranks I think, and we wore their patches. There was a dude that lived nearby, that was pretty good, (St. Pete) he claimed to have been around since the beginning, and
took us to his house to prove it. He had the oldest halfpipe I'd ever seen (THIS, in '83!) and some even older BMX trophies. I even had some talks about riding
for their factory team, but then got out of the sport; I think they picked up my
teammate, Jud Ciancio instead. I'll always think of Florida when I think about BMX;
being from snow-ridden Western NY, it was a joy to tour Florida in February every year! Definitely check out :http://www.vintagebmx.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=1

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
ha! that last pic is sweet. I think those first couple that Dirt Merchant posted would be considered 'Euro' tables no?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
SR said:
ha! that last pic is sweet. I think those first couple that Dirt Merchant posted would be considered 'Euro' tables no?
yea, that's a cool pic.

I don't know if I'd call those 'euro' tables or not. just leaned turnbars.

I'm sure they called them something but I don't remember what....

I'm sure you've seen this but it's worth seeing again.
http://www.bangpictures.com/joekid/bmxhistory.mov