Quantcast

Fort William 2024 Race

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
How did Greg crash?
I think it was in the WynTV after finals, he interviewed Greg's mechanic. Apparently he slid out in the upper rocks causing him to go OTB off a step and land on his shoulder, which was hurt in the process. He got back on, and later in the track tried to pull for a jump and his shoulder said "nope", causing him to crash again. He was sent to Inverness for x-rays... I haven't seen any updates. That's a total bummer. I hope that's not the end for him, I'd like to see him give it one more serious go at least.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I think it was in the WynTV after finals, he interviewed Greg's mechanic. Apparently he slid out in the upper rocks causing him to go OTB off a step and land on his shoulder, which was hurt in the process. He got back on, and later in the track tried to pull for a jump and his shoulder said "nope", causing him to crash again. He was sent to Inverness for x-rays... I haven't seen any updates. That's a total bummer. I hope that's not the end for him, I'd like to see him give it one more serious go at least.
Did he crash 3 times then? Because he crashed on the inside of a non rocky berm (everyone else went wide on) on the live feed and didn't look like he knew where he was for a second when he got up.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Also why the fuck isn't the reigning World Champion a protected rider
Who? Hatton?
Where did he finish in the 2023 series overall?
Your answer might lie there.

TWENTY EIGHTH POSITION

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Who? Hatton?
Where did he finish in the 2023 series overall?
Your answer might lie there.
Yeah I'm aware it goes off World Cup points rankings but you think they could throw in Protected status for the guy who won the Champs on that course the year previously. The argument that "fans want to see" the top 10 riders from last year and then they leave out the guy who smoked everyone the year before on that track.... Half the protected riders didn't even win a race last year.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah I'm aware it goes off World Cup points rankings but you think they could throw in Protected status for the guy who won the Champs on that course the year previously. The argument that "fans want to see" the top 10 riders from last year and then they leave out the guy who smoked everyone the year before on that track.... Half the protected riders didn't even win a race last year.
Nah.
They're two entirely separate events. One is part of a series. The other a stand alone event. World champs results are and always have been completely irrelevant to the WC series.

96% of the Male entrants didn't win a World cup round last year. including the World champ everyone apparently wanted to see. so I'm not sure why you're even bringing that up.
The rules are pretty specific. And don't have any reference to World Champs for pretty obvious reasons.
— UCI-4.11.014
Protected riders to the semi-final are:
1. riders with season long race numbers (i.e. ranked in the top 5 women elite and
the top 10 men elite of the final UCI World Cup standings of the previous season)
2. the best ranked riders from the current UCI World Cup standings, that are not
included in point 1 above, until a total of 10 women elite and 20 men elite are
reached
3. if any riders as described under 1. and 2. above do not confirm participation at an
event they will not be replaced.
— UCI-4.11.014
For the first UCI World Cup round of the season, the top 10 women elite and the top 20 men elite of the final UCI World Cup standings of the previous season are “protected” for the semi-final.
— UCI-4.11.014
They must start in the qualifying round but qualify automatically for the semi-final in any case. If the times of the protected riders are not among the 15 best times for women elite or the 60 best times for men elite, they shall be allowed to ride in the semi-final in addition to the 15 women elite and 60 men elite riders already qualified.

.— UCI-4.11.014
Protected riders to the final are:
1. riders ranked in the top 3 women elite and top 5 men elite of the final UCI World
Cup standings of the previous season
2. men and women junior riders ranked in the top 3 of the current UCI World Cup
standings. At the first UCI World Cup round of the season there will be no
protected junior riders.
3. If a rider is announced as retired, he is not eligible anymore as protected rider.
The announcement of the retired status shall be done in writing to the UCI before
31 December of the previous year

Starting order for the semi-finals and final will be decided on the last qualifying round. For semi-finals this means qualifying and the finals start order will be based upon the results from the semi-finals.

bigquotes
— UCI-4.11.015
The start order for the semi-final, if applicable, and final will be determined on the basis of the reverse results of the last qualifying round (the fastest rider starting last), except for the protected riders (defined in art. 4.11.014) and the fastest 5 men elite and the fastest 2 women elite non-protected riders, who will start as the last group of riders by order of the last qualifying result, reversed.

I can understand having to explain this to Avy. But not you.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Nah.
They're two entirely separate events. One is part of a series. The other a stand alone event. World champs results are and always have been completely irrelevant to the WC series.

96% of the Male entrants didn't win a World cup round last year. including the World champ everyone apparently wanted to see. so I'm not sure why you're even bringing that up.
The rules are pretty specific. And don't have any reference to World Champs for pretty obvious reasons.
— UCI-4.11.014
1. riders with season long race numbers (i.e. ranked in the top 5 women elite and
the top 10 men elite of the final UCI World Cup standings of the previous season)
2. the best ranked riders from the current UCI World Cup standings, that are not
reached
3. if any riders as described under 1. and 2. above do not confirm participation at an
— UCI-4.11.014
For the first UCI World Cup round of the season, the top 10 women elite and the top 20 men elite of the final UCI World Cup standings of the previous season are “protected” for the semi-final.
— UCI-4.11.014
They must start in the qualifying round but qualify automatically for the semi-final in any case. If the times of the protected riders are not among the 15 best times for women elite or the 60 best times for men elite, they shall be allowed to ride in the semi-final in addition to the 15 women elite and 60 men elite riders already qualified.

.— UCI-4.11.014
1. riders ranked in the top 3 women elite and top 5 men elite of the final UCI World
protected junior riders.
3. If a rider is announced as retired, he is not eligible anymore as protected rider.
The announcement of the retired status shall be done in writing to the UCI before

Starting order for the semi-finals and final will be decided on the last qualifying round. For semi-finals this means qualifying and the finals start order will be based upon the results from the semi-finals.

bigquotes
— UCI-4.11.015
The start order for the semi-final, if applicable, and final will be determined on the basis of the reverse results of the last qualifying round (the fastest rider starting last), except for the protected riders (defined in art. 4.11.014) and the fastest 5 men elite and the fastest 2 women elite non-protected riders, who will start as the last group of riders by order of the last qualifying result, reversed.

He understands the rules mate.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Then it's a bit silly expecting them to be broken for some guy who won an unconnected race.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia

I understand the damn rules. I'm saying I don't agree with them ya daft weegie haha

Then it's a bit silly expecting them to be broken for some guy who won an unconnected race.
I'm just saying they claimed the whole premise of the "protected rider" thing was because fans want to see those riders. I'm saying geez I think there might have been a few people wanting to see the guy who beat the worlds best riders on that very track.

But you're right - rules are rules. And god forbid they're ever bent to allow for better viewing. Like that time they put a bunch of roadies in the front row at a World Champs XC race at the last minute because they bent the rules to allow it.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
And somehow you still can't get your head around the difference between a one off once a year race and a year multi race series.

Hatton was actually there you dumb fucks!
He qualified 6th
But unfortunately didn't make the cut in Semis.
Shit happens. He wasn't the only genuine contender not to make the cut. That's racing.

Read UCI rule -4.11.014 above

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
And somehow you still can't get your head around the difference between a one off once a year race and a year multi race series.

Hatton was actually there you dumb fucks
You're the dumb fuck who can't understand someone saying the rules suck not that they don't understand them

He qualified 6th
Shit happens. He wasn't the only genuine contender not to make the cut. That's racing.
Lucky we still got to see Bernard Kerr, Laurie Greenland, Ethan Craik and Dakotah Norton who all didn't make either Qualis or Semis, but 6th place Qualifier and the last guy to Ft Bill, Charlie Hatton was ruled unable to compete because of Subsection 11c, page 442 of the French guide to sports fuckwittery

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Fuck the rules. I want to know why Hatton wasn't in the finals.
Fucks sake make. Its right there on page 43 of the handbook next to the chapter describing the drinks selection available to crit racers participating in the tandem, single-speed event. Why can't you understand that exceptions are only made in the event the athlete in question is French?!?!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Fucks sake make. Its right there on page 43 of the handbook next to the chapter describing the drinks selection available to crit racers participating in the tandem, single-speed event. Why can't you understand that exceptions are only made in the event the athlete in question is French?!?!
Are there gluten free options?

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz

Hatton was actually there you dumb fucks!
He qualified 6th

Read UCI rule -4.11.014 above
Eat a snickers/Lion bar Gazza

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Lucky we still got to see Bernard Kerr, Laurie Greenland, Ethan Craik and Dakotah Norton
Laurie and Ethan weren't protected into finals either. So it's kinda amazing YOU managed to see them in finals when neither of them were there either.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The real issue here is that we have semis in the first place. Not that we don't have a rule to protect a guy who wasn't in the top 20 last year but managed to win another unconnected race

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
The real issue here is that we have semis in the first place. Not that we don't have a rule to protect a guy who wasn't in the top 20 last year but managed to win another unconnected race
Yes i agree. Im glad you ended up hyped for the DH race in the end, when you werent looking that way, as well. Bring on a new track in Poland.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Hey how do they seed the riders for the unrelated race?
yeah. How bout taking
a PROPER look into the answer of your badly loaded question .
Clue:UCI Ranking is NOT the same thing as WC overall position

And fuck off Seth. Making shit up about what people have said IRL is a sure way to a broken jaw

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
yeah. How bout taking
a PROPER look into the answer of your badly loaded question .
Clue:UCI Ranking is NOT the same thing as WC overall position
Cmon man, I get its a seperate event to the World Cup but they're run by the same mob and they give enough concessions (and restrictions) to the World Champions that you think they could slip them protected status as well. Woulda been good for Hatton to have made it into the big show, even just for comparison.

Excuse my excitement. It's my birthday today
Happy Birthday mate

so you are EVEN OLDER now, grats gramps
Nah its like when an old car odometer goes past 99,999. I think Gary is actually younger now.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Nah.

— UCI-4.11.014
reached
— UCI-4.11.014
— UCI-4.11.014

.— UCI-4.11.014
protected junior riders.

bigquotes
— UCI-4.11.015

Um,excuse me Gary? I have my Hand Up,do you see it? Thank You,if I may retort?

I have read all of this thread and seent my name Just at the end. I must say,I thank you for the Pro Detail Breakdown,the All world Lay Out,the Black and White Rules for the World Champ‘s. I am going to somehow save it.

Now,regarding the comment of having to explain Everything to Avy. Brother,that is what is happening with you. The Monkeys are having to explain to you. You are missing the point. Funny thing is,you Dug your heels In,even though you knew you were missing the point. Trying to spew rapture upon anyone who dare tell you otherwise. I know better.

Avy

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Cmon man, I get its a seperate event to the World Cup but they're run by the same mob and they give enough concessions (and restrictions) to the World Champions that you think they could slip them protected status as well. Woulda been good for Hatton to have made it into the big show, even just for comparison.
They aren’t run by the same mob anymore. The UCI does the Worlds and WBD does the WC races. Now it’s completely separate regarding and who you work with as an organizer. The UCI doesn’t control the rules at WC races anymore. WBD makes all those decisions about semis and points all by themselves.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
They aren’t run by the same mob anymore. The UCI does the Worlds and WBD does the WC races. Now it’s completely separate regarding and who you work with as an organizer. The UCI doesn’t control the rules at WC races anymore. WBD makes all those decisions about semis and points all by themselves.
Wait what? This is the weirdest sports deal I have ever heard and I supervise live padel on TV. So UCI leased not only the transmission rights but also rights as a regulatory body? I can't even imagine how would that deal would look like legally.

So if shit happens WBD is held liable not UCI? UCI technical delegates are no more? Since I thought Ruaridh was still one. Not disagreeing but jesus why would also WBD do it? It's extra work and at least in my experience corporate + event organizing is always a shit show. Are the ex EWS guys they hired to do a lot of stuff doing it?

BTW. This also explains the Semi Finals - Finals thing. They want shorter finals to run them live on Eurosport. Longer finals don't fit linear TV well (I hate when Padel matches get really really long. It's not directly on me but my team but sometimes I still get calls. fuck that) and they are too stupid to realize they could just compress/not show the first 30 starters and use replays like it was done in the past. Also it's dumb they made the decision to basically prop Eurosport Linear given it's probably not live in many countries.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Avy. I understand perfectly. Charlie didn't do so well in his semi finals run. So we didn't get to see the ugly rainbow jersey in the men's final at the weekend. Boo fucking hoo. It's not the first WC race that hasn't had the current World Champion race in finals and won't be the last. Maybe one day you'll all get over it.