Quantcast

fork oil

Phatswalla

Chimp
Jun 14, 2002
Seattle, WA
I use 5wt Spectro in all my Marzocchi forks with the exception of my DJ1s, I use 10wt in those. Works great for me, never had any problems.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Originally posted by Payrider
marzocchi recomended the spectro too. it was a bit difficult to find but I got it. If anyone in the seattle area is intrested, motorcycleworks in renton on rainier has it.
Yuck.. just my experience, never liked spectro, in the moto stuff or mountain, I use silkolene, some people hate it but some swear by it... if anyones interested Moto Pro sells it, you can buy it online or for seattle people give them a call you can go pick it up.

www.moto-pro.com

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I've used golden spectro, silkolene, and PJ's... all feel the same to me, and all feel better than non-synthetics or anything packaged for bicycles.

ATN

Chimp
Apr 24, 2003
Burke Mountain. BC
I will be using Finish Line Synthetic to rebuild my Judy's. I haven't used it before (or taken any other forks apart) but one of the local guys uses it no problems, even when he's a hack. Biggest thing is the price: $17 CAD for 8oz.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by ATN
Biggest thing is the price: $17 CAD for 8oz.
Yup, this is ridiculous considering MX synthetics are certainly equal and mostly better, and they run about $8US a liter and often cheaper.

ATN

Chimp
Apr 24, 2003
Burke Mountain. BC
Originally posted by ohio
Yup, this is ridiculous considering MX synthetics are certainly equal and mostly better, and they run about $8US a liter and often cheaper.
I will have to search around for a motocross store then... would an autoparts store carry them?

Keep in mind the amount of bike stores around here... MX isn't as big.

Rustmouse

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
Olympia, WA
the problem with fork oils is that there's no SAE (or other) standard for viscosity below 15wt... That means that one brands 5wt isn't likely to match another brands 5wt!

< I love golden spectro in my 'zocchis, it's inexpensive and the viscosity is pretty consistent all the way across the board (that's the other problem with having no standards, the difference between one brands 5 and 10 weight isn't the same as the difference between some other brand's weights, and lower quality brands will actually have viscosity differences between batches of the same weights!)

the amount of friction/pressure/load in bicycle shocks really isn't enough to 'stress' the shock oil. I wouldn't spend the money on fancy synthetics (which, in some cases may not me seal friendly)

the only feature that synthetics claim that really appeals to me is anti-foaming (foam reduces your shocks dampening ability) and so far, i've found no real difference between quality brands.

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Golden spectro has held up to abuse in my old motocross forks and thousands of miles in my road bikes. I never noticed a foaming problem on them but then you can't see in the fork with out pulling the caps. Never felt the damping go away.
You probably won't find fork oil in an auto parts store.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I like Spectro. Don't bother w/ Rockshox oil. Its overpriced. Think of the loads a MX fork taks vs. your atb fork. Don't use anything higher than 10wt on a Marzocchi. The good folks in their tech dept told me this could lead to you blowing your cartridge.