Quantcast

Fork Help for a New Monkey

BigClyde

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Greenville, SC
I'm looking to upgrade my front fork and I need some info and help.

I'm a big rider at 240 and I ride a Norco Launch. I do heavy trail riding and freeriding (nothing bigger than 5 feet at present). I want to upgrade to a dual crown fork with more travel.

These are my choices in order.

Junior T
Manitou Slider
Stratos 7o8
RockSHox Boxxer (I've heard it doesn't go well with Norco frames)

All opinions and suggestions welcome.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Does it have to be a DC? If not, consider the Marz Z150 (maybe next year's :p ) or the Sherman, if you can go 1.5.

Junior/Super T, consider tire clearance
Stratos, consider Cust Svc (I have an S7 :dead: )
Also, think of where you'll be in a season or 2. If you're doing 5 ft. now...

Also, how much DH-ing will you be doing (if any)?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Why don't you try and pick up a used Super T off one of the boards? I have never paid more than $425 for a fork and have only bought one brand new in my life. Let someone else break in the seals and get the first tear-inducing scratches out of the way. Better to get a nice shape used Super than a new Junior. I plan on selling my '01 Super and extra XC frame soon to fund an '02 Monster, etc...if my Chappy ever arrives. :confused:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
dude get the junior t. you will have to put heavier springs in it but for the money it will treat you the best. i way 160 and bottom it on drops that are 10 plus. ive had mine ofr about 8 months and it is super nice. i have also been running the integrated marz. stem that it comes with and notice a difference in the stiffness. i also was trying to decide between the boxxer and junior but i did not want to deal with the maintenance of the boxxers being as how i already dont maintain my bikes very well.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I am 300lbs geared up and tearing down the mountain.....

that said I have been running Boxxers for 3 years. I have a 2003 Race model and like my old 2000 better for plushness but the 2003 does ride higher when braking into corners. I don't see myself changing anytime soon

I think a SuperT would be a good choice.......even a JrT but look idealy look for a SuperT and if you happen across a good deal on a JrT.........

I was impressed by a buddies Manipoo single crown 5 inch fork (not sure the name) with the under hanging lowers.

I would probably say for used look for a Super T then a Boxxer (you can get them cheap used)

Good luck.

Rhino

PS-PM me if you have any other questions *edit* you will need stiffer springs no matter what fork you purchase........but Iguess you knew that already.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
As already mentioned, what ever you get you will need the stiffest springs they make. I weigh in at 190 - 200 and I use heavy springs. I couldn't believe the difference the first time I went with stiff springs, makes a huge difference. That's one good thing about Fox, at least the Vanilla (if not other models) come with soft, medium and heavy springs. I am running a Z.1 on my Bullit right now with stock springs and plan to get heavy whenever I get around to it...

Stay away from the Jr T. I absolutly hated mine. Unless they've changed the valving in the new Jrs, your fork will "spike" whenever you hit a rock garden. I rode a Jr for a year and although the service on Marz forks is easy and not frequently needed, you will regret it whenever you are on your bike. I don't want to put down a fork that somebody likes. I've heard good things about Jrs. But in my personal experience, they sucked.
Just my .02

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The TPC+ damper is awesome, and my Firefly is unbelievably stiff, I can only imagine what the Slider would be like.

I would highly recommend the Slider with the stiffest spring option.