Quantcast

Foreign Language. The best ways to learn?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I just bought some 'Drive & Learn German' discs. I'm moving there so I have some motivation to learn, but if needed they will speak in English... and more and more people will continue to do so (thank you internet, thank you hollywood). An international language makes sense, just like an international calendar and system of measurements. The internet has made the world much more integrated and people will continue to focus on a language that most everyone can understand.

Last edited:

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
...you just have to say "jag vill talar Svenska, tack".
That would be "tala"

Just pulling your chain. ;)

OT: I'll throw in another vote for immersion. Spanish classes for three years left me with a lot less compared to two weeks in Spain.

Edit:

Oh, Mr. ?????, the people who speak Mandarin and Spanish of the world would like to have a word, and not in English. ;)

Last edited:

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Spanish and Mandarin are good too. We just need to consolidate some.
who is this "we"? And how do you decide what languages have value? I agree with your idea of English as a common language, but that does not eliminate the need for being able to communicate in other languages and it seems to me that you assume with English as a common language countries will/should/must adopt it as their national language replacing their current national language.

And my original point simply was that people can speak to you English and give you the impression that they understand, but once you dig a little deeper (by using their native language) you realize there is a great lacking in actual comprehension. Then again I suppose the same can be said of a some Americans.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
For example, most Americans don't want the metric system because they don't understand it. If they were taught the metric system in school first, they would not like our current system, and seeing that the rest of the world used the metric system, I bet they would think it crazy for someone to want to use an old imperial system of senseless measurements. People are only tied to their local language because it is what they know. I would also bet that if a newborn baby could (knowingly) choose to go the path of a language that a most people know, or a language that a few people know, they would probably choose the language, system of measurements, calendar, etc that most people understand.

Currently that makes sense to me, but maybe you can convince me why it makes sense for thousands of languages to exist (aside from the cultural art and individuality aspect).

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Easy, at least to my mind, your analogy falls apart to me because you are comparing apples and oranges. A system of measurement, maths, and even music I suppose could be considered universal and comparable. Language on the other hand is not zero sum, this word equals this word simply does not work because of nuance. Context and usage define meaning not 1m = 100cm, not very black and white and very gray. As a freelance translator, I don't completely disagree with your ideas on how change around the world will continue to cause languages to evolve, but as machine translation increases, proof reading jobs have increased greatly because you still need that uniquely human element to parse the nuance out of the source text and put in the correct context based on your target audience (not just language).

Personally I feel, that more languages actually contributes to more varied thought, philosophical, religious, scientific, etc. And that can only be a good thing for human kind in general. And your common language would serve as an essential tool to transfer that knowledge between people, but I think by replacing we would be losing variety and overall quality of thought would then suffer.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I'm beginning to like my Drive & Learn German cd's. I put them on my iPhone and sing along in German while riding my bike.

Yes, it's kind of ridiculous, but the singing part helps me form common phrases more easily.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Velo - been to Nikko, loved it. Could only manage half a dozen phrases in Japanese, but got on just fine.

Point? None here.
:D I hear ya. Nikko is quite enjoyable without Japanese, but there is so much more when you actively engage with the locals.

If you ever make it back, there is a whole other side to nikko (I find the hunters to be damn entertaining, and the wild boar stew is quite good too). And some all right trails.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I'm beginning to like my Drive & Learn German cd's. I put them on my iPhone and sing along in German while riding my bike.

Yes, it's kind of ridiculous, but the singing part helps me form common phrases more easily.
Just work this one..."Ein bier bitte."