Quantcast

Foes vs. Turner

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hey look they are only one letter apart, that's pretty cool. :rolleyes:

I don't have a lot of experience with either, but you might want to tell us a little more about the intended use, your style of riding, etc. Pretty tough call either way, both have lots of fans. And are you talking about the new 2:1 Foes or the DHS Mono?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ask 1souldrider. He just sold his foes for a turner. I think he done right.

Foes dhs rides nice and plowy and stays on line but turns like a bus. Turners ride a little rougher but are nice and nimble. Both good bikes, just depends on what kind of ride you're looking for.

scratch

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
denver, co
definitely be going used, so it would be the dhs mono, not the new rad one

i'm 6'0, 190 lbs. looking for a forgiving bike that isn't hard to ride. i'm weak in corners, so i'd like to have something that could dive into them and feel good enough to let off the brakes, but still hold true in rocks and roots. i've owned a medium a-line, large m1, and medium as-x.

m1 was too long and didn't corner, the yeti doesn't have the overbuilt feel that i like.

i have no experience with either the dhs or the turner.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
scratch said:
i've considered the demo 8, but don't know much about them. how does it compare?
They're, light, pretty nimble and plenty sturdy. It's one of those bikes that is a really good all around performer in my mind. It's got a nice low bb which I like too. If I were in the market for a new bike, it's one I would be looking at. With the amount of used turners floating around for pretty cheap, I think it would be a tough call between those two. Your chances of maybe finding a demo 8 at a specialized dealer should be pretty good.....see if you can get a parking lot spin on one.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
The DHR is like having the nimbleness of an xc bike, with the sturdiness of dh components. I personally think the D8 is underrated because they ride very well too. The DHR and the D8 get my vote...both great bikes.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
I had a 03 Mono DHS I rode for a couple seasons. I went for a DHR this summer, and couldn't be happier. Aside from plowing rocks in a straight line, the Turner is a better bike in every way. There are plenty of good deals to be had on used DHRs as well. I strongly recomend the DHR over the Foes.
My $.02

scratch

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
denver, co
cooter you som bitch!

i don't think the foes is gonna fit my style, or lack thereof.

i like the d8 and turners a lot- i actually got a parking lot spin on a d8 a while back, felt great. i've never hiked a leg over a turner before.

that white turner catches my eye every time, but i don't have that kind of money- if you'd take my yeti and some cash possibly, i wouldn't tell everyone you were hung like a stud field mouse.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
kidwoo said:
Then stay away from the foes. It's even longer and the rear end even extends a tiny bit under compression.....
good advice there... if ya didn t like the m1 for cornering then the foes won t make ya happy...

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I vote for the DHR, it's very nimble and snappy in the corners. Someone mentioned the Demo 8 which would also be a good idea. I've ridden my friend's around in the street and it's at least as nimble as the DHR, and manuals a whole lot better. I think the head angle might be slacker on the Demo 8 as well.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
scratch said:
cooter you som bitch!

i don't think the foes is gonna fit my style, or lack thereof.

i like the d8 and turners a lot- i actually got a parking lot spin on a d8 a while back, felt great. i've never hiked a leg over a turner before.

that white turner catches my eye every time, but i don't have that kind of money- if you'd take my yeti and some cash possibly, i wouldn't tell everyone you were hung like a stud field mouse.
I've seen you ride, a Turner fo' sure. More nimble and quicker.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
If you are ever going to use the warrenty go for the Turner.

The Foes is sweet if you get a size or 2 smaller than what is recommended.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I made this same choice earlier in the summer. Needless to say i chose a 05 DHR with a DHX. It makes riding more fun. :love: :love: :love:

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
I had a mono and sold it in favor of the turner.

the mono- sit down and hold on riding style, didnt really suit me very well
the turner you acutally have to ride, it takes alot more rider input and can bite you in the ass very quickly.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah....
Nah just kidding, not really, but the new Foes 2 to 1 looks yummy. Probly gunna have to punny up some bucks for that.

SCARY

Not long enough
scratch said:
definitely be going used, so it would be the dhs mono, not the new rad one

i'm 6'0, 190 lbs. looking for a forgiving bike that isn't hard to ride. i'm weak in corners, so i'd like to have something that could dive into them and feel good enough to let off the brakes, but still hold true in rocks and roots. i've owned a medium a-line, large m1, and medium as-x.

m1 was too long and didn't corner, the yeti doesn't have the overbuilt feel that i like.

i have no experience with either the dhs or the turner.
I don't know what your budget but I'm gonna post my full bike for sale in a couple of days.It's a stupid crazy build ,I'm putting the researve@ $4200.00.Med 04 Mono ridden once in 05,Foes fork w /Ti spring(yes THAT fork)2 full wheelsets-1yellow d-max,1-w/721s,saint cranks,choice of pedals.hayes nines-new in box,carbon bars,road cassette and derailuer,-Italia seat thompson post,and steering dampener.This is not a joke or a scam-so if it would work pm me .I'm also 5 11,195ish ...ok 200.I,ll probably post it up mid week,next week.

SCARY

Not long enough
Whats Sugar?National in NC?Maybe .....Prolly keep the Foes since this thing didn't even garner interest thought $4200 was a steal but maybe it's too much for a sport in it's death gurgle.I guess I'll do some dumb stuff to make it lighter .....and go back to flats.....race with no pads....get drunk before my run....... something...anything to make it interesting and fun again.............never ride the YZ again.........and get a Le Queervo.......no...thats alittle to far.I don't want to just throw it away like that.After all when your a mid pack ,mediocore semi-pro ..there are standards.....ithink