Quantcast

Foes FLy+saint+E-13 DRS=impossible??

hurley64

Chimp
Sep 4, 2003
Recently installed Saint cranks on my Fly, I ended up having to reverse the spacer order as the non-drive arm was contacting the swingarm. This leaves me with one spacer on the drive side and 2 on the non-drive. I was hoping to intall a DRS but so far I have only seen an MRP set-up on the saint and I wonder how much material will i have to remove from the bashring to get it to fit on the saint arms? What other possible issues will i be looking at? Anyone tried this setup?

At this point I think the chain line will be OK, i will be putting a chain and rear derailleur on it tonight I hope. Thanks,

John

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Do a search, there's a whole thread about installing the E.13 chainguide on Saint cranks. You don't have to remove very much material from the bashguard at all.

hurley64

Chimp
Sep 4, 2003
I find that u guys are usually much more knowledgeable, and damn quick as well!! But I will do a search for fitting to a Saint, must a missed that thread!

John

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
John,
Our DRS Guide will fit fine on your Fly. As far as the Saint cranks go - you'll just have to do a small amount of filing to increase the crankarm cutout on the bashguard. We do it all the time and it takes no time at all. Our most recent bashguard design allows for the Saints without any mods. Good luck with it, John, and if you need any further assistance please feel free to contact us directly.

hurley64

Chimp
Sep 4, 2003
OK, i stand corrected! YOU guys rock, how do I make sure my LBS gets the latest version DRS kit? Will I be able to use my Saint rings? When I searched on RM all I found was a thread regarding the SRS and Saint.

Thanks

John

(will also email you this)

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
J-
The SRS and DRS only overlap in set up application in regards to the bashguard. The DRS backplate gets pressed up against the BB shell by the drive side BB flange. And be aware of the Front der application. You'll need to order the DRS E-Type backplate in conjunction with the stock guide system. The Guide you'll want to purchase is dependant upon the max middle ring tooth set up. "Urban" for 36T max and "Mtn X" for 40T max middle ring.

hurley64

Chimp
Sep 4, 2003
Since the Fly supports fitting of a front derailleur, do I still need the e-type plate for the DRS? I also assume that the ID of the mounting plate will need to be slightly filed to fit the OD of the Saint bearing?

John

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
-J
In the case of the front der you won't need to order the E-Type backplate. The ID of the DRS backplate is much smaller than that of the SRS backplate. You may need to file it out a little to slide over the threads, but not to fit over the external bearing cup. The SRS gets spaced outward by putting spacers behind the backpklate itself, whereas the DRS backplate gets pressed up against the BB shell by the external bearing cup and gets spaced out using spacers behind the lower wearplate and roller.
I tried to email you, John, but got denied because I'm "suspect". That's not the first time I've been accused of such a thing. ;)

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I had the same prob.On my v10.Its the first v10 with saints ( i think ) ( well first one i see).

And my chainguide fits but with a frame guide spacing of about a hair.Since its the mrp system 2 the platte doesn't moove so im lucky.

Only guide that fit for me was the system 2.

hurley64

Chimp
Sep 4, 2003
Repack said:
This is funny. Many minutes of typing and checking of emails vs. a 30 sec phone conversation. :)
Actually, decided to continue this in RM so it would get archived as the last discussion was a while ago, but hey thanks for playing!! :rolleyes:

John

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
hurley64 said:
Actually, decided to continue this in RM so it would get archived as the last discussion was a while ago, but hey thanks for playing!! :rolleyes:

John
I frequently find myself in 'conversations' thinking, "This would be so much easier over the phone..." Oh well.