Quantcast

Foes Fly 2:1

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I wonder why it doesn't have a 1,5 headtube(or am I wrong?).Was it not Foes that pushed the 1 1/4 back in the day? Would make for a nicer frame headtube junction I would've thought. That would apear to be the correct concept to get performance from an air shock.Big shock+low leverage=Plush.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
what has happend to Foes...they never seem to show them selfs much...i had a DHS and the quality was sh*t...

there was talk about this 2.1 but again i never see one...

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
what has happend to Foes...they never seem to show them selfs much...i had a DHS and the quality was sh*t...

there was talk about this 2.1 but again i never see one...
They will show themselves if you have the money, because if you got the money honey they got the time

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yuck. I don't like the proprietary shock stuff, especially because they use a lot of pedal platform.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The platform should be a lot easier to overcome at that low a leverage ratio. I'd be of the "Try before you buy" opinion.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I had a pre-2:1 FXR and last season got the new 2:1, so I'm one of the few it seems that has gotten to ride the 2:1 version of a model side by side with the old style. It was great!! The shock really performs well at that ratio and I am still blown away at how well and efficiently a 6in travel trail bike can ride, while still being supple and soaking up the big hits. I can ride full on XC on that bike and it doesn't feel like a big bike. I'm excited to see how the new Fly does. Asthetically it's gorgeous, and I'm sure if it's anything like my FXR, it won't disappoint.

And as for proprietary shock issues, I needed my Curnutt serviced. I sent it off, standard mail which usually takes 3-4 days to get to Foes. They recieved it on a Thursday, and had it back to me the following Friday. They second day aired it back, so it was only in their possession for 3 full working days (and this all happened over Sea Otter weekend!). If thats the kind of service you get with their proprietary shock, I'll take it over anything else on the market becaues I've never had turn arounds that fast with shock companies. Theres a reason I've stuck with them so long and have used the Curnutt, even when it wasn't the only shock option with Foes bikes. The service and product are both top notch quality.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Are they trying to compensate for something with that air shock?
Exactly what I was thinking!

But given the heat problems with air shocks, I am sure a larger can but probably thinner walls will release more heat.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i got a few rides on a 2:1 mono and it was the best pedaling dh bike i felt pretty heavy, but it absolutly rips.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Exactly what I was thinking!

But given the heat problems with air shocks, I am sure a larger can but probably thinner walls will release more heat.
and lower leverage=less psi in chamber=no need for tight seals=smoother shox with less heat buildup.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
and lower leverage=less psi in chamber=no need for tight seals=smoother shox with less heat buildup.
but more surface for more stiction or no?

im with the "why 1,5 headtube camp" for this bike really it would seem like a good idea seeing what kind of fork its being specced with.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
but more surface for more stiction or no?

im with the "why 1,5 headtube camp" for this bike really it would seem like a good idea seeing what kind of fork its being specced with.
true, but i am guessing that the lower psi and seals that are not as tight will play a bigger role. and there is of course more surface area for it to cool.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Looks pretty sick!!!

I'm with some of the others though, it should have a 1.5 HT and a standard length shock dangit!!! I loved my old Fly, the non compliant shock length was a pain.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
kanter, you still enjoying your Fly? I'm considering getting an '07 but might wait for the new 2:1.

As for the curnutt, I know there are a lot of haters but it's one of the best shocks I've ridden. Then again I'm funny: I only want to be riding a 'couch' when I'm hitting bigger drops or rallying tech terrain, not when I'm pedalling my ass off on smooth singletrack. My DXH5 coil is the only thing I've ridden that I like as much as the Curnutt.