Quantcast

F'n Ticks

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I can't seem to walk outside without getting one of the little fuckers crawling on me. Gots me all paranoid, every little itch or tingle has me scratching like a crack-head. Not to mention, having felt exhausted and achy for the past 3 weeks has me all paranoid about crazy tick born illnesses.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
my uncle burned one off my cousins scalp with a lit cigarette when we were kids.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have been to areas in Denmark where the infestation was super bad. We all need to move to the desert. At least I have a wife that can help inspect me after a mtb ride. Impossible to do it yourself. I have had the on my back before.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have been to areas in Denmark where the infestation was super bad. We all need to move to the desert. At least I have a wife that can help inspect me after a mtb ride. Impossible to do it yourself. I have had the on my back before.
Don't know how else to explain it but I woke up one night just feeling like something was on my back, it was a tick. I couldn't reach it so I poured dog flea and tick shampoo down my back until it let go and washed off. Yuck.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Havent seen a tick since moving to the desert. Been kinda nice. Have seen horror movie caliber ticks down south. Do. Not. Like.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In theory I am in a low risk area, near some transitional areas.

Wood ticks in this area are large and abundant. A small person could probably saddle up and ride some of the bigger ones.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Seems like I pull a tick off a leg every third ride or so. The ticks out here are big enough that they're not too hard to spot when rubbing down with alcohol or technu to avoid the poison oak, which I do pretty religiously.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've ridden through some nasty grass and bush and have never had a tick. Then again, how would I actually know..

Finding spiders and lady bugs on the helmet, in the camelback and other areas though.......FUCK THAT.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
God I hate this subject, but I can't look away. Had a bit of a scare a few years ago (rash) but antibiotics right away and nothing came of it.
Apparently our non-existent winter here in Washington state has left a high population in my favorite eastern WA riding areas :thumbsdown:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
It's rare to find a tick 'round hyar.

Finding spiders and lady bugs on the helmet, in the camelback and other areas though.......FUCK THAT.
Now spiders on the other hand. One late summer afternoon on a six mile loop I stopped every five minutes to wipe spiders and webs off my face. My friend has a personal stash of natural way off camber singletrack. Got a spider on my face that started crawling around. The trail is on a hillside, not bench cut and has exposed roots and rocks. I couldn't take a hand off the bar to wipe off the spider without eating shit. Good times.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Now spiders on the other hand. One late summer afternoon on a six mile loop I stopped every five minutes to wipe spiders and webs off my face. My friend has a personal stash of natural way off camber singletrack. Got a spider on my face that started crawling around. The trail is on a hillside, not bench cut and has exposed roots and rocks. I couldn't take a hand off the bar to wipe off the spider without eating shit. Good times.
I would have eaten shit.

What's almost as bad is that I have a habit of coming in from a ride and just tossing the bike clothes in a pile on the floor. The amount of times I've picked them up, only to find some nasty eight legged creature in there....I run like bigfoot through the trees when there are spiders on the body. Riding/hiking through those webs and not finding the spider is the absolute worst. Its always hiding somewhere, just waiting for the right moment to pounce. :dead:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I never had more ticks on me than when I lived in Charlottesville. @Westy, when I used to ride Panorama I would have to stop after every few miles to pull a few of them off. Terrible.

Related topic-sitting in a work meeting a few years ago, felt something, pulled one off my head behind my left ear. No clear symptoms of anything but have felt like lymph nodes/glands in head and neck have been swollen ever since. Docs can't find anything. Eff dat shit.

Heh. I was driving over to Addison Sunday and there was a spider hanging out on the brim of my cap. It kept rappelling down to my moustache, apparently building a web. Distracting. When I got to my destination I convinced it to take up residence in some shrubbery rather than on my hat.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
In theory I am in a low risk area, near some transitional areas.

Wood ticks in this area are large and abundant. A small person could probably saddle up and ride some of the bigger ones.

when we go in the local woods ( trumbull/ private property in newtown ) they are EVERYWHERE

i kneeled down on the ground to take a picture of a friend hitting a jump for probably 30 seconds and i had 2 ( one i saw on my pants and one crawling up to my kibble and bits )

fukking bastards for sure

i always will shower after and do a body check

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I never had more ticks on me than when I lived in Charlottesville. @Westy, when I used to ride Panorama I would have to stop after every few miles to pull a few of them off. Terrible.

Related topic-sitting in a work meeting a few years ago, felt something, pulled one off my head behind my left ear. No clear symptoms of anything but have felt like lymph nodes/glands in head and neck have been swollen ever since. Docs can't find anything. Eff dat shit.

Panorama was the worst for ticks, enter any of those transitional field trails and you were covered with the fuckers. I miss those trails though, perhaps I am just sentimental for my n00bly beginnings, but that shit was fun.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My wife and I went for a hike along the shore of Loch Ness way back when we visited Scotland. When we got back to our B&B we literally had DOZENS of ticks on us. Fucking Scotland. And when it wasn't ticks it was fucking midges. Fuck those things. :mad:

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
About 15 years ago my buddies and I were coming down a rarely used single track. We had to stop every hundred feet or so to wipe the ticks off. Literally HUNDREDS! I only ended up with 1 in me, right below my armpit.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I'd let a wolf spider reside in my shorts if it agreed to eat ticks.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
When I was a kid, right after a hike, I ended up with one dug in right between my ball sack and inner thigh. It was not pleasant. Different time, got one behind my ear. Little bastards can all rot in hell.