Quantcast

Florida's Left Coast

jollytime

King of the Kingdom
Jul 1, 2003
Vermont
So my wife planned this vacation where we are going to Marco Island, Florida. I would be excited to go if I knew I could get in some ride time, but I fear this is not the case. Does anyone know of trailsin southwestern Florida, or should I suck it up and plan on going to art galleries?

Thanks! - JT

extreme2

Chimp
May 17, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
check out www.mtbr.com and look at the trails. Tampa, Brooksville, Naples, Lakeland, Arcadia all have some decent trails. If you take a trip across the state to the Miami area, Markham Park and Quiet Waters have great trails.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
jollytime said:
Does anyone know of trailsin southwestern Florida, or should I suck it up and plan on going to art galleries?

Thanks! - JT

Rob should chime in soon. Here is what I know. I haven't heard off anything worth riding around Marco Island. If you go north near the Tampa area there is Alafia, Carter and the TOE (membership only private trails). Probably 2-2.5 hours drive time.

If you go to the east coast there is Markam, Quiet Waters, and Oleta. Markam is the best trail on the east coast and probably the closet trail worth riding. It is probably about a 90 minute drive but it could be less or more depending on how you drive. You have to come across what is called Alligator Alley which tends to have little traffic and cops. It is not unusal for traffic to run 85-90 mph.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
I spend a week every year in Venice Beach and just do the urban thing. I figure any long drive is not going to be worth the trail down there when I'm used to riding in NC. Maybe that's my loss though?

extreme2

Chimp
May 17, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I'm originally from Florida, and now reside in Arizona. I have ridden most of the trails in Florida. I can now compare the Florida trails to the trails here in the mountains of Arizona. Each place has it good and bad points. Florida has some awesome trails particularly in the Miami, Lakeland and Ocala areas. While I enjoy bombing down the mountains here in AZ, even riding some slick rock up in Sedona, I miss the fun trails at Markham and Santos. The trails in Florida are worth the ride.

sonic rbz

Chimp
Aug 24, 2004
FL
We do have one trail system down here and a website completely dedicated to it....northporttrails.org. You can ride for a couple hours on the trail system. It is in northport,FL. We also urban ride in Venice on Tues nights.

zod said:
I spend a week every year in Venice Beach and just do the urban thing. I figure any long drive is not going to be worth the trail down there when I'm used to riding in NC. Maybe that's my loss though?

I thought pretty much the same thing before i knew what the deal was.
I've ridden all over the country mang and i stand behind how good the trails are in Florida.

After seeing the pics of Zods back yard i would say he needs to go to Markam and the jumps at Quiet Waters in the south and stuntland at the TOE outside Tampa.