Quantcast

first DH bike/armour questions

16v

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
Well, I've finally lucked out enough to find a super cheap frame and built up my budget bike!

First impressions: I absolutely adore this bike. Sure its a heavy pig, and not the best/newest parts, but its such a joy to ride! I'm going from a fully rigid mtbmx to this, and its so nice to have the bike soak up everything. Four foot drops feel like nothing :D

Anyways, I was up at Duthie Hill earlier today, but didn't get to ride much, and that brings me to a question about body armour. I've been looking at the previous threads, and I'm leaning towards a 661 Vapor suit, but the Fox Titan is also in consideration.

Does anybody have any real world experience with these suits, or have any other suggestions in this price range ($100-150)? Unfortunately, I'm a college student and cant spend too much on a suit; besides, since I'm just starting out, I dont anticipate hitting anything huge in the near future. How badly do these restrict your movement? Do they get untolerably hot super quickly?

Also, Im really skinny, 6' 140, and have no idea how these things will fit. I'm going to try and hit up a bike shop in the next couple of days and try a couple out, but like I said before, I have no previous experience with any of this, so input from anybody who's worn either suit before would be greatly appreciated.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Try out the new TLD armor. Breathes great, not bulky, easy to move in, and great price. Best armor i've seen hit the market in quite a while. Get the 5850 for thinner and less padding. The 7850 for for thicker and more kidney padding. Feature removable pads and work well with the Leatt Brace (highly recommend). Also often overseen is padded shorts. I usually wear them and have been handy many times.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237278

http://catalog.troyleedesigns.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=807_881_972

Last edited:

jules

Chimp
Aug 3, 2010
I don't think that going huge and using a bodyarmor are connected that much.
If you are a beginner, your don't have to go big to F up really bad. If you are just starting, use a bodyarmor. When you have got some skill, then you can look at what's you doing and then decide if you need one.

I don't feel restricted using an armor and it only gets really hot during the warmest days. I'm using Alpinestars Bionic 2, only good words about it. Most my mates use Dainese.

16v

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
I'm down in seattle unfortunately, so Drop n Zone is out of the question, and I'll definitely look into both suits suggested, but its going to be limited by what I can order through the shop I work at.
As for padded shorts....yea. I'm definitely going to be getting a pair, especially for bmxing. I fell on my ass last week, and it still hurts like a bitch.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
The best armor I have used and will keep using is POC. 661 is hot and never fits perfect, Rockgarden same problem. Dainese good coverage but hot and does not hold up that great.
the POC is comfortable, light weight, moves with you fits excellent. The arm and leg guards fit great and only ones I have used that don't move. I have crashed with all the suits/armor above and the POC reactive back plate is the best. I have gotten the least injuries.